The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

[QUOTE=kali meister;2298396]is the consensus still to not prefer 16X DVD+R Taiyo Yuden?

is it true on dvds that using a SHARPIE perm marker is okay on them.
but that on cd s i should get white inkjet coat when using SHARPIES?[/QUOTE]

1. There never was any such consensus, just a lot of whining by people who were unfairly comparing them to the older 8x media. There is nothing wrong with YUDEN000 T03, as long as you have a good burner.

2. Yes, using sharpies is fine, and yes, for CDs, it’s always better to use printable discs because CDs without them can get damaged more easily.

[QUOTE=negritude;2298403]The speed for the test should be set to 4x for Lite-Ons. Also, look under the Advanced button and click the box that enables Jitter scanning.[/QUOTE]

Alright, Thanks for the info. I do wonder, tho, why Lite-On Drives are so popular for testing? I hope I don’t make anyone mad for saying this, but, I’ve always seen Lite-On Drives as kind of cheap. :eek: … I guess I’m wrong

Also, quick question… Since my Pioneer drive isn’t accurate for testing, is it still accurate for Burning?

Actually, the 113NP isn’t as well regarded as other, genuine Pioneer drives [ones featuring an NEC chipset, pretty much every other Pioneer DVD burner] when it comes to its burning ability. It should be a bit better than your LiteOn, though.

[QUOTE=Raddek;2298575]Alright, Thanks for the info. I do wonder, tho, why Lite-On Drives are so popular for testing? I hope I don’t make anyone mad for saying this, but, I’ve always seen Lite-On Drives as kind of cheap. :eek: … I guess I’m wrong.[/QUOTE]

Lite-On drives have not always been the best burners, and they have been somewhat fragile and much cheaper than other drives, so they developed a reputation for cheapness early on. However, they have become a lot better over time, and, irrespective of their “cheapness”, they have one of the few drives that actually produces scans which are consistent, reproducible, and relatively accurate, so that’s why they are popular for that task.

Pioneer drives are completely useless as scanners.

LG drives are mostly useless as scanners.

Plextor drives were always too expensive, and too slow at scanning.

BenQ drives were the best all-around scanners, but they are no longer being manufactured.

Samsung drives vary greatly in their scanning consistency. Some models scan OK, and some don’t. Plus, they don’t report jitter.

NEC/Optiarc drives can scan OK, but their results are often not directly comparable to other scanning drives. Plus, they don’t report jitter.

Lite-On drives are the only drives in current production that can be relied on for end-user scanning. They scan as accurately as is possible for a consumer-grade drive, and they perform all the necessary functions, including scanning for jitter.

Keep in mind that what I say above only applies to scanning DVDs. For scanning and testing CDs, things get a bit more complicated.

Coming soon:

JVC Advanced Media Europe

http://www.jam-eu.com

So ‘JAM’ it is :smiley: catchy, especially JAMEU. I thought maybe JVCAM :wink:

OK, the new sites are up and working:

http://victor-media.co.jp/english/

And there is a retailer in the U.S. who is carrying the new media:

http://www.cds.com/DVD-Recordable-Media-s/22.htm

[QUOTE=negritude;2447613]OK, the new sites are up and working:

http://victor-media.co.jp/english/[U] [/U][/QUOTE] As can be seen on this page, JVC Taiyo Yuden media without hard-coat protection is supposed to have an initial PI Error level of almost 1200 (per 8 ECC blocks). Only with scratch-resistant archival-grade media do you get PI Error levels within specifications…marketing droids strike again! :doh:

BTW, I really love the flash animation on their home page. Move the mouse around and play with it, and you’ll see what I mean. When the animation is coming towards you, click the page and watch it go in reverse. Wheeeee! :bigsmile:

Just to clarify the transition.

Taiyo Yuden will be converting over to JVC SKUs in the next couple of months

The JVC branded product is another line for consumers. That’s coming up on line now. It’s not the pro grade just to be clear about it. I’m not making references to quality. That remains to be seen. We will also be seeing a new version of “Watershield” that is less shiny (I have samples coming to test in house) and don’t ask me why: not water-resistant.
I’m not aware that any of the JVC product is actually in the USA yet. Regardless of what we put on our sites :wink: I know a little bit is inbound but we all want to see which product line is going survive. I’ve said that the retail branded stuff is more likely to displace the Pro because it is actually branded. Pricing is higher…by a little tiny bit.

Meritline says [B][COLOR=red]Effective Oct 2009: Taiyo Yuden Brand Name Has Formally Changed to JVC (JDMR-VAL-SK). Products May Be Shipped in JVC Packaging[/B][/COLOR]

I can’t help but wonder whether we should try to buy the original Taiyo’s while we still can or whether the JVC takeover will provide the same quality? Also, is this true that Taiyo will no longer exist (Meritline seems to imply this if I read what they say correctly)?

The above is part of the [U]advertisement by Meritline[/U] for their Taiyo Yuden (DVD-R47VAL600SK) Valueline DVD-R 8X Silver Thermal Lacquer Blank DVDR Media Discs 4.7GB in 100 Pack Tape Wrap which they currently sell for $25.99 with free shipping.

Should we buy, buy, buy? Or, nah, just wait?

It will be the same. It’s been JVC Advanced Media for a little while now. They are just using up the packaging (that is JVC or ‘JAM’). Meritline is just showing you their new SKU. We are all transitioning over.

Sure buy buy buy. :smiley: but you don’t have to…

[QUOTE=NowIsAllWeHave;2452217]Meritline says [B][COLOR=red]Effective Oct 2009: Taiyo Yuden Brand Name Has Formally Changed to JVC (JDMR-VAL-SK). Products May Be Shipped in JVC Packaging[/B][/COLOR]

I can’t help but wonder whether we should try to buy the original Taiyo’s while we still can or whether the JVC takeover will provide the same quality? Also, is this true that Taiyo will no longer exist (Meritline seems to imply this if I read what they say correctly)?

The above is part of the [U]advertisement by Meritline[/U] for their Taiyo Yuden (DVD-R47VAL600SK) Valueline DVD-R 8X Silver Thermal Lacquer Blank DVDR Media Discs 4.7GB in 100 Pack Tape Wrap which they currently sell for $25.99 with free shipping.

Should we buy, buy, buy? Or, nah, just wait?[/QUOTE]

I personally will not worry about it, at least for a while anyway since I still have over 400 from my last purchase :bigsmile:

[B]SJ[/B]

Taiyo Yuden isn’t ceasing to exist. Taiyo Yuden is the company that makes them. JVC is merely becoming the sole brand name under which they are being sold in North America.

I’m sure many vendors will still sell bulk disks from Taiyo Yuden.

Also, I’m not certain but I haven’t heard any evidence that the “Thats” brand name, under which TYs are sold in Asia, is disappearing.

I sent for the [B]8X[/B] Taiyo’s a couple of weeks ago because they have the AZO metal, as I was more interested in the 100-year archiving (which I understand the AZO metal brings) than in the speed of burning (so I didn’t go for the 16X which I understand has a hybrid AZO metal according to what I’ve read in this forum).

Looking at page one of this thread, I see in post #1 that I should see batch code: G[B]G[/B]xxxxxx for the 8X’s, but instead I see G[B]H[/B]000183 on the discs I received that is associated with the 16X instead (again, according to post #1). On the discs I received, there’s a second number that is NH8374601868G[B]H[/B] on the inner-most ring.

QUESTION 1: Did I get snookered with the wrong discs from Meritline since I see the [B]GH[/B] which means 16X, even though the stack looks just like the advertisement at this Meritline link and the packaging I received says very clearly 8X?

QUESTION 2: Am I worrying over nothing since the [U]hybrid[/U] AZO metal will provide the same archiving as the standard AZO metal?

[QUOTE=NowIsAllWeHave;2452560]QUESTION 1: Did I get snookered with the wrong discs from Meritline since I see the [B]GH[/B] which means 16X, even though the stack looks just like the advertisement at this Meritline link and the packaging I received says very clearly 8X?[/QUOTE]If you had bought Taiyo Yuden [B]Premium[/B] 8x DVD-R you should get TYG02 as you wanted.

Value Line can be TYG02 or TYG03 or a mix of both.

Personally I wouldn’t use media that didn’t pass quality control for important stuff, and that’s what “Value Line” can mean.

QUESTION 2: Am I worrying over nothing since the [U]hybrid[/U] AZO metal will provide the same archiving as the standard AZO metal?
It’s not clear whether TYG02 or TYG03 is superior for archiving, but I would personally only use premium and not value line for that purpose.

Welcome to CDFreaks/MyCE! :slight_smile:

Hi guys

I’ll be in Japan for xmas…with a half-empty suitcase:cool:
Among other things I’d like to bring back some blank media.
I’ve already opened a thread about cd-r and made up my mind about what to get (I’ll get a 50 spindle of That’s 80min and another of That’s ceramic coated 74min).

When it comes to DVD-R I still have some doubts.
According to many people on this site it appears TY quality is rapidly decreasing. What I’d like to know is does this apply only to their OEM stuff or to their own That’s brand as well? Are those still made in Japan?
Also, should I go TYG03 or TYG02?
Archiving is not my n.1 priority. I make lots of backups (I intend to backup most of my DVD collection) and lots of AVCHD (of compressed HD movies).
So I need something that plays flawlessly on standalone DVD and BluRay players.

thanks in advance

PS
hmmm…it seems a very long post, sorry about that.

How to know if I want TY premium line CD-R? I mean how do I know for sure I’m getting premium not value?

[QUOTE=jurmula;2453574]How to know if I want TY premium line CD-R? I mean how do I know for sure I’m getting premium not value?[/QUOTE]

If you visit Microboards website www.microboards.com you can see all the various versions of JVC. And yes to confuse you the TY pages are still up too. That is because the brand Taiyo Yuden is recognized unlike JVC in the pro disc world.

Professional

premium
Value-line
(current Taiyo Yuden distributed in US)

Consumer

‘branded’
(New, with colorful packaging and a gold [U]colored[/U] top layer).

In the U.S. Taiyo Yuden no longer exists and has become JVC Advanced Media. This is not in the future or when the packaging changes: it’s right this moment. Current packaging still has Taiyo Yuden but will be changing over in the next several months.

On a side note I received my samples of the consumer grade JVC stuff. It will be interesting to play around with the DVD-RW stuff. New matte finish Water shield. Black looks better.

I need to run them through the printers.