The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

[QUOTE=iTz Gav;2241601]Thanks for the info and the quick reply :D[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. :flower:

hi i bought some dvd -r 8x they are called ultra red media…i scanned it with dvd identifier and it said it is taiyo yuden mid tyg02…are these fake? thanks

[QUOTE=raymondtrudeau;2251709]hi i bought some dvd -r 8x they are called ultra red media…i scanned it with dvd identifier and it said it is taiyo yuden mid tyg02…are these fake? thanks[/QUOTE]

Do they have the characteristics of TY media? Hub code? If MID is the only basis then it’s most likely to be fake.

no they don’t have the hub code…but at the same time they never claimed to be ty media, the label of the dvd’s are called ultra red media.and when i used identifier it said they were ty’s?

You need to have a GGXXXX or TGXXXX code on the disc itself near the hub area. Can’t find it? Fake MID. Code is present? Genuine TY.

Hi,
What is your opinion on the Taiyo Yuden[B] Hard Coat [/B]DVD-R 4.7GB 16X Silver Lacquer compared to the normal one?

[QUOTE=skaleton;2261461]Hi,
What is your opinion on the Taiyo Yuden[B] Hard Coat [/B]DVD-R 4.7GB 16X Silver Lacquer compared to the normal one?[/QUOTE]

I think I would recommend finding the 8X ones… if they’re still making them anyways:confused:

@ kg_evilboy,

Thank you so much for your useful information. It will help our buyers.

[QUOTE=MES;2272662]@ kg_evilboy,

Thank you so much for your useful information. It will help our buyers.[/QUOTE]

Well, usually this could be considered spam… but as long as it is genuine TY, then I would love some more TY Spam here please :bigsmile::stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome on board [B]MES[/B]:flower:

[QUOTE=kali meister;2189823]thanks for the info sean!

say, is the color of the recordable side of taiyo yuden dvds all the same color? are their valueline dvds the same color?

nice price at rima on the +r inkjet 16x dvds. most places don’t have them of most recent. 100 tape wrapped.
are tape wrap same quality as cakebox?[/QUOTE]

Cakeboxes for CD audio, tapewrap for DVD, yes they are they same quality, packaged differently - I hve been ordering and using large volumes of TY, and never had any issues with tapewraps, when I receive them I put them in cakeboxes and cut/tear out the tapewrap.

Value line vs. premium - it’s exactly the same disc, same color - the discs are just as good - however, the difference is that the rejection rate is higher when burnt at its rated speed - I have used value line myself for temproary storage of DVD recorder files and have had excellent scans and discs are still good - I have burnt them at 8x ! you do run a chance of getting bad ones along the way, but the good ones are just as good. Just don’t use those for archival that’s all, stick to the premiums to be safe, mind you nothing is 10)% safe these days.

The Value or Premium both use the same numbers on the inner ring (recording surface) THxxxxx for 16x +R GHxxxxxxx for 16 -R TG for 8x+r and GG for 8x -R

Thanks [B]greg[/B]!!!

Do you think the value line is better an option than for instance Maxell 16x DVD+R (RICOHJPN R03) for backups? of course, they’ll be scanned periodically for errors…

[QUOTE=headquarter84;2281166]Thanks [B]greg[/B]!!!

Do you think the value line is better an option than for instance Maxell 16x DVD+R (RICOHJPN R03) for backups? of course, they’ll be scanned periodically for errors…[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the value line TY are bad - I have a full spindle of those I use to record from my DVD recorder (i cannot stand the slow RW) to bring back to the PC for editing - and so far all have lasted 2+ years so far. The Value Line does not mean BAD - it means the discs have a higher reject rate - you may end up with a bad disc, although personally I have never come across one - I burn them all at 8x and their error scanning gives very VERY low error rates identical to the regular premiums and I have yet to see any inconsistency in the dyes or other defects - the disc is either good or bad - although some people might argue otherwise. Of course if you plan on keeping backup of very important archival grade data, perhaps you should look elsewhere to be safe, but nothing is a garantee these days. If you are in a production environment and plan to burn volumes, of course use the premiums ! For an occasional backup of non life critical things, it works for me. and yes I would choose those anytime over the maxells not even a debate tehre ! :smiley:

[QUOTE=greg42;2288171]I don’t think the value line TY are bad - I have a full spindle of those I use to record from my DVD recorder (i cannot stand the slow RW) to bring back to the PC for editing - and so far all have lasted 2+ years so far. The Value Line does not mean BAD - it means the discs have a higher reject rate - you may end up with a bad disc, although personally I have never come across one - I burn them all at 8x and their error scanning gives very VERY low error rates identical to the regular premiums and I have yet to see any inconsistency in the dyes or other defects - the disc is either good or bad - although some people might argue otherwise. Of course if you plan on keeping backup of very important archival grade data, perhaps you should look elsewhere to be safe, but nothing is a garantee these days. If you are in a production environment and plan to burn volumes, of course use the premiums ! For an occasional backup of non life critical things, it works for me. and yes I would choose those anytime over the maxells not even a debate tehre ! :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the valuable information [B]Greg [/B]:slight_smile:

Ummmm… so maybe it’s time to go hunting on Rima & NewEgg!!!
Any specific shops known for guaranteed & cheap TY media? preferrably inside the UK or the US?

I have some Fujifilm cdr audio Discs in a 50 cakebox with a spindle screw top. The discs have a blue top which say Fujifilm audio cdr on them, they also say"Made In Japan" Can anyone confirm these are taiyo yudens?
I use a mac & I cannot find anywhere media identifier software to check them?

Hello. I recently bought a 100pack Spindle of Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8X Discs (Premium Line) from Ebay, and I’m suspecting they’re fakes? (I can point you all to the actual auction if you all are interested)… Hopefully someone can help me out a bit. Alright, as for describing them, they have the shiny surface with no Labels (not Silver Thermal). When I received them, the spindle was all sealed with a Taiyo Yuden sticker on the wrapping. They have the white piece of paper on the top of the stack with the Warnings and Cautions. The code in the center of each disc reads GG007069. When I tried testing these discs with software, I got mixed results. Nero DiscSpeed calls them “Unknown” while DVD-Identifier says Taiyo Yuden. Now, I haven’t had any real problems with these discs and i’m very happy with them, but I’m a bit concerned on the test results. The Errors seem pretty ‘extreme’ in the 700,000 range. I know these type of errors aren’t necessarily ‘harmful’, but is this range of errors even acceptable?? Is my Burner not really compatible with these Discs? By the way, the recording and testing were both done with the same Pioneer DVD Burner at 8X speed.

[QUOTE=nickmeister general;2291270]I have some Fujifilm cdr audio Discs in a 50 cakebox with a spindle screw top. The discs have a blue top which say Fujifilm audio cdr on them, they also say"Made In Japan" Can anyone confirm these are taiyo yudens?[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are genuine TYs. If CD-Rs come in a distinctive TY cakebox (the old-style TY cakebox had the screwtop) and/or they are made in Japan, then you’ve got TYs.

[QUOTE=Raddek;2297960]The code in the center of each disc reads GG007069. When I tried testing these discs with software, I got mixed results. Nero DiscSpeed calls them “Unknown” while DVD-Identifier says Taiyo Yuden. Now, I haven’t had any real problems with these discs and i’m very happy with them, but I’m a bit concerned on the test results. The Errors seem pretty ‘extreme’ in the 700,000 range.[/QUOTE]

1. The discs are genuine. The hub code verifies that.

2. Pioneer drives are NOT accurate scanners. You need a Lite-On, BenQ, or Plextor drive in order to test properly.

3. You can do what is called a Transfer Rate Test (TRT) by clicking on the Benchmark tab. That will give you a general idea of a discs readability and/or playability. That is all you can do with the Pioneer. As stated before, if you want to use the other more detailed tests, you need another drive.

[QUOTE=negritude;2298341]1. The discs are genuine. The hub code verifies that.

1. Pioneer drives are NOT accurate scanners. You need a Lite-On, BenQ, or Plextor drive in order to test properly.

2. You can do what is called a Transfer Rate Test (TRT) by clicking on the Benchmark tab. That will give you a general idea of a discs readability and/or playability. That is all you can do with the Pioneer. As stated before, if you want to use the other more detailed tests, you need another drive.[/QUOTE]

I Do have a Lite-On drive, but I’ve heard that the model I have is not very accurate and can cause false Failures/C2 Errors. Here is the same test using the same DVD but with the Lite-On Drive.

is the consensus still to not preffer 16X DVD+R Taiyo Yuden ?

i’ve got to say i’ve gone threw 3-100sony47LS4 and am tickled pink
with no complaints from customers with different players.

is it true on dvds that using a SHARPIE perm marker is okay on them.
but that on cd s i should get white inkjet coat when using SHARPIES?
thanks

[QUOTE=Raddek;2298382]I Do have a Lite-On drive, but I’ve heard that the model I have is not very accurate and can cause false Failures/C2 Errors. Here is the same test using the same DVD but with the Lite-On Drive.[/QUOTE]

The speed for the test should be set to 4x for Lite-Ons. Also, look under the Advanced button and click the box that enables Jitter scanning.