The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

I know I was, but that was not a big concern. I don’t need to keep data on CD’s long very often. Almost never, so I don’t need a lot of good quality CD’s. Most of the stuff I do involves making a MP3 disk for use in the car in very rare times, testing things out, ect. The only things I need to archive would be something like slipstreamed XP install disks. I don’t maintain a lot for systems that I build myself so the last thing I need is a bunch of HQ media that won’t be used. If I wanted to, I could have ordered online and gotten a a 50 pack for around $25 with shipping. And should I even need to make bulk things for archival needs, I will order online. But with the 10 pack, I will be using I think a total of 4 and I need one for this week.

It’s all need, and I didn’t need much and I needed one soon. I had the money, and in all honestly, I didn’t mind paying that much because of how long they will sit there blank. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=1031982;2060882]. I got a 10 pack of CD-R’s (not cheep… like $15) that are the Taiyo Yuden media. Kinda needed for slipstreamed OS install CD’s.[/QUOTE]

You don’t need to use CDs for this, assuming the computers have an optical reader that can read DVDs.

DVDs work just as well. I think they work better because they burn and boot faster. I like discs I can put in my pocket so I use the mini size DVDs.

[quote=steve b;2101144]You don’t need to use CDs for this, assuming the computers have an optical reader that can read DVDs.

DVDs work just as well. I think they work better because they burn and boot faster. I like discs I can put in my pocket so I use the mini size DVDs.[/quote]
I know, but I also use UBCD4Windows on systems with only CD-readers. Plus, it seems like a waste of a DVD for just the OS install image.

Can anyone tell me if I have purchased real or fake Taiyo Yuden CD-R? I had no luck finding Fuji discs here but ended up at a Guitar Center and turns out they carry a square box of “Taiyo Yuden” with a MICROBOARDS Technology label on the case with CDR80ZZ25EB on it. The code on the frosted hub is LF774A0562280 and the other code on the flip side reads 80PG7556. I’d like to think that they are genuine but if they aren’t, then I’ll know not to buy from them anymore.

Welcome to the forum, Enemy459 :slight_smile:

The “80PG7556” would indicate that you have genuine TY discs.

Well thank you for replying so quickly and what a relief to know that they’re genuine. Guitar Center had 25 TY discs for $7.99 so looks like I’ll be going back for more. I also found some Maxell cd-r in a white and red wrap that said Made in Japan but 30 discs for $12.99.

Nice deal on those TYs from Guitar Center - I’d snap up plenty as well at that price :wink:

I just joined here to post and say thx for the tip-off on this deal at GC! :bow:

Also wanted to add some more info and pics (attached), so you and the GC staff will know exactly what you’re looking for. I can confirm this deal seems to be a regular-price, in-store stocked item at Guitar Center, and that their Web site also lists many other reasonably-priced spindles of T-Y media in CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R format (all from Microboards, an officially-acknowledged T-Y import distributor). I don’t know if all or any of the other online items are also stocked in-store, but the prices should be the same, and this 25-pack deal is pretty good on its own.

The “square box” described above is actually a fairly nice, sturdy polypropylene clamshell with integrated spindle and hinged latch, so even if the per-disk price is marginally better on a 100-disk spindle, this travel-worthy box alone seems worth the extra buck or two (and the front label peels off easy enough with the help of some Zippo fluid ;)).

Here’s the link to the Microboards 25-pack on the GC web site:

They also have a 100-pack of Value Line TYG02s for $24.99:

[QUOTE=SubGothius;2126513]…their Web site also lists many other reasonably-priced spindles of T-Y media in CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R format (all from Microboards, an officially-acknowledged T-Y import distributor)…The “square box” described above is actually a fairly nice, sturdy polypropylene clamshell with integrated spindle and hinged latch, so even if the per-disk price is marginally better on a 100-disk spindle, this travel-worthy box alone seems worth the extra buck or two…[/QUOTE]

Their prices are actually a bit higher than Rima, so I wouldn’t view them as a substitute in any way, except for the fact that you can get those CD-Rs locally, without waiting for mail-order, and they give free shipping on orders of $100 or more, which might save you some money or at least even things up on a big order in comparison to Rima.

I do like the Microboards packaging, which I’d only seen before on some eBay auctions. It’s definitely worth paying a dollar or two extra to get that.

[QUOTE=Enemy459;2123840]Can anyone tell me if I have purchased real or fake Taiyo Yuden CD-R? I had no luck finding Fuji discs here but ended up at a Guitar Center and turns out they carry a square box of “Taiyo Yuden” with a MICROBOARDS Technology label on the case with CDR80ZZ25EB on it. The code on the frosted hub is LF774A0562280 and the other code on the flip side reads 80PG7556. I’d like to think that they are genuine but if they aren’t, then I’ll know not to buy from them anymore.[/QUOTE]

You’re not going to find any fake TY at the brick and mortar retail level in the United States. There’s rarely a need to worry or question your purchase if you’re buying from a legit retailer.

The places you need to watch out for fake TY are the following:

1. Flea markets
  2. Computer faires
  3. eBay
  4. Unknown online retailers
  5. Mom & Pop stores

There was never any possibility that media being sold at a place like Guitar Center is fake. On the other hand, something that you pick up at Bill & Gloria’s Repair Shop, located in the boondocks, could be anything.

The price on the Microboards 25-pack has dropped to $6.99.

Recently, I bought a 100 pack of YUDEN000 T02 F/F printable on digitalpromo for UK£24. While they were missing from SVP at the time, SVP now has another 100 F/F printable DVD+R 8x for UK£44 - £20 more than I just paid for mine.

I’m very happy with my TYs so far, but for this reason I am now much more interested in finding out:

1. If my discs are “Value Line.” I did all the hub code tests posted, I think it was in this thread, making sure the codes were all correct and stamped properly as required. Those check out.
  2. What is the disadvantage of Value Line media? Faster degradation? More PI Errors and Failures (not an issue here as they scan back much like my (non coaster) MCC 004s).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the GC tip. I can’t tell for sure from the photo, but those look like the shiny silver-top “fingerprint magnet” discs yes?? I am running low on t-y’s (my last spindle of good ole fuji branded t-y’s that i stocked up on from rite-aid last year) and looking to stock up again but can’t find any for near the price I am used to ($9.99 + tax for 50)…

If I buy the non-branded t-y’s on-line which ones do I need to avoid the shiny silver tops? I really hate those shiny ones - my “cd safe” ink pens run/bleed like crazy on them plus even if I think i don’t touch them they always seem to get covered with ugly fingerprints. Are the white topped inkjets my only option or do they also make a less shiny silver top???

[quote=slipkid;2188699]Thanks for the GC tip. I can’t tell for sure from the photo, but those look like the shiny silver-top “fingerprint magnet” discs yes?? I am running low on t-y’s (my last spindle of good ole fuji branded t-y’s that i stocked up on from rite-aid last year) and looking to stock up again but can’t find any for near the price I am used to ($9.99 + tax for 50)…

If I buy the non-branded t-y’s on-line which ones do I need to avoid the shiny silver tops? I really hate those shiny ones - my “cd safe” ink pens run/bleed like crazy on them plus even if I think i don’t touch them they always seem to get covered with ugly fingerprints. Are the white topped inkjets my only option or do they also make a less shiny silver top???[/quote]

white inkjet printable is the way to go for cds especialy.worth the extra pennies.
felt pens don’t bleed. have never had a problem with white inkjet side powdering with the taiyo yudens.

say am i missing something?.. when i see posters having questions if they bought authentic taiyo yudens can’t they use cd speed or some of the other tools to check?

CD/DVD Speed won’t help you if the Media Code has been misappropriated (i.e. if the fake disc has a stolen Taiyo Yuden MID).

thanks for the info sean!

say, is the color of the recordable side of taiyo yuden dvds all the same color? are their valueline dvds the same color?

nice price at rima on the +r inkjet 16x dvds. most places don’t have them of most recent. 100 tape wrapped.
are tape wrap same quality as cakebox?

TY morphes to Victor media/JVC.

http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=18350

Can anyone tell me if these are fake?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3337522/-/Product.html?searchstring=Verbatim+43500+DVD%2BR+16x+25pk+Spindle&searchsource=0

thanks

[QUOTE=iTz Gav;2241589]Can anyone tell me if these are fake?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3337522/-/Product.html?searchstring=Verbatim+43500+DVD%2BR+16x+25pk+Spindle&searchsource=0

thanks[/QUOTE]

No, they are legit Verbatim media, but more likely made by MKM, not TY.

Thanks for the info and the quick reply :smiley: