The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

[QUOTE=headquarter84;1965298][B]@MrCairo, [/B] did you crossflash your SONY into Lite-ON? or did it come like it is?! the burn isn’t as good as a TYG02 should be IIRC… and that 8X burn sounds weird cause TYG02 burn extremely well even when oversped to 12X!!! i dunno… i think if i were you i would try to re-flash my drive to the latest fw again and see if anything different happens… maybe should make a backup of the EEPROM before doing it, just in case… and maybe clearing the OPC history would do the trick… you have many options to start with so, start with the one you find fit ;)[/QUOTE]

Hello,

No this deck was purchased as a Lite-On (retail box) unit. I did flash it a while back to what I thought was the latest firmware. I’ll check the main site again and see if I can find one. The deck’s a bit older and probably considered a legacy drive :wink:

But it still works good (i think)

Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can dig up…

Regards

mc :cool:

i see :slight_smile:
i think it would be a good idea to re-check the firmware then ;), and you might even like to get the Lite-ON SMART-BURN utility, it might help you in case you need to clear the drive’s history or use the Hyper Tuning/Online Hyper Tuning techs if supported by your drive :slight_smile:
i don’t remember where you can find the tool though, but if you searh for “smart burn 3.1.16t” in the forums you might get a result :wink:

good luck :slight_smile:

[quote=headquarter84;1965337]i don’t remember where you can find the tool though, but if you searh for “smart burn 3.1.16t” in the forums you might get a result ;)[/quote] There’s a newer SMART-BURN (nothing important added, except for a feature that isn’t supported by any drive/firmware yet):

[B]New SmartBurn v3.3.2 with FHT/OS/OHT NEW[/B]

I was wondering if anyone knows whether they have fake labels for TY. I saw some TY with this label:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/supermediastore/TY01X0165.htm

Since that label is on top of a spindle there wasn’t a way to see the hub code, and I didn’t see any made in japan label. Where do you check for that. At the bottom side there is a plastic to seal the spindle that says Taiyo Yuden 8x-dvd and says midcode TYG02. It was a 100 pack. On the top of the spindle on various ones I could see the letters, “B” “PP” etc. Anyone know if those are genuine, or is that not enough info to tell.

are all ty dvd blank media printable? I just bought some 16X dvd-r TY, silver laquer, and the only other option was white ink-jet printable. so do they make a dvd that is just regular?

[QUOTE=cmdry72;1989969]are all ty dvd blank media printable? I just bought some 16X dvd-r TY, silver laquer, and the only other option was white ink-jet printable. so do they make a dvd that is just regular?[/QUOTE]

It depents on your printer :slight_smile:

In Europe there are different TYs with silver surface available:

• Shiny silver (Printable with thermal printer)
  • Inkjet Printable Silver (Printalbe with inkjet*)
  • Inkjet Printable Silver For Laminator (Printalbe with inkjet*)
  • Thermal Re-Transfer Silver (Printable with thermal printer)

*Thermal printer should also work

(Link: Taiyo Yuden Europe)

[quote=TM;1989979]It depents on your printer :slight_smile:

In Europe there are different TYs with silver surface available:

• Shiny silver (Printable with thermal printer)
  • Inkjet Printable Silver (Printalbe with inkjet*)
  • Inkjet Printable Silver For Laminator (Printalbe with inkjet*)
  • Thermal Re-Transfer Silver (Printable with thermal printer)

*Thermal printer should also work

(Link: Taiyo Yuden Europe)[/quote]
so I guess that is a yes? all TY’s are printable.

[QUOTE=cmdry72;1990358]so I guess that is a yes? all TY’s are printable.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. The “shiny silver” for example does not have a special coating on the surface for writing or printing on it. Since a thermal printer need only a smooth surface to print on it. That is a feature by the thermal printer, not the media.
It should also be possible to use a thermal printer and print on the data side, since this is also smooth. I did not try it to print this side with my Primera Z1 since there is no really sense to print the data side… :rolleyes:

But if you’d only like to know if all TYs are printable in general, than it is really a YES!

[quote=TM;1990443]Not necessarily. The “shiny silver” for example does not have a special coating on the surface for writing or printing on it. Since a thermal printer need only a smooth surface to print on it. That is a feature by the thermal printer, not the media.
It should also be possible to use a thermal printer and print on the data side, since this is also smooth. I did not try it to print this side with my Primera Z1 since there is no really sense to print the data side… :rolleyes:

But if you’d only like to know if all TYs are printable in general, than it is really a YES![/quote]
so you can print on any dvd with a thermal printer? I was thinking the shiny silver thermal laquer ty’s were made for thermal printers. are most general blank media that are shiny silver made with thermal laquer?

[QUOTE=cmdry72;1991105]so you can print on any dvd with a thermal printer? I was thinking the shiny silver thermal laquer ty’s were made for thermal printers. are most general blank media that are shiny silver made with thermal laquer?[/QUOTE]

I have not tried it on inkjet surfaces, but I found out that you need only a smooth surface. Since I do not have an inkjet printer capable for CD/DVD printing I do not have any inkjet media in my stock.

For example I have genuine TY CDs:

“Shiny Silver for AUDIO”
“Prism gold” (for data)

The audio CD does not seem to have any special coating for printing. The “prism gold” has a special yellow/gold coating on the top surface for thermal printing. I can print both media very well, and the writing is pefectly fixed and I can not rub it easyly down.
I tried it to print on an branded CD media and on this media I could not print with the thermal printer.

Are these Taiyo Yuden from Rima.com the premium line or the value line of Taiyo Yuden?
http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1760-100

Rima doesn’t carry Value Line TY.

1 more fact should be added to the TY FAQ:
Q: i’m in the UAE (United Arab Emirates), can i find any TY products in the local market?
A: Simply NO, they only have Imation, Sony (SONY MIDs) and MIT Verbatims, brands apply to both DVDs and CDs.

concerning ty dvds. any different between the silvery azo dye and the darker colored ones in quality?

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2028472]Rima doesn’t carry Value Line TY.[/QUOTE]

:clap:

This might seem rather basic, but what does MIJ stand for? I have been using DVD’s for a while, and now need CD’s for a few things but a quick search showed quality has changed with brand names. I need to make slipstreamed Windows XP install disks for some people, including myself, but I obviously need media that will be written to correctly, and last for some time. And I am using Verbatim DVD media, from what I have seen it has good burns, and holds up for a long time. (So long as you don’t go over the rated speed.)

[quote=1031982;2060671]This might seem rather basic, but what does MIJ stand for?[/quote] It means “[B]M[/B]ade [B]I[/B]n [B]J[/B]apan” - if it’s not Made in Japan then it’s not made by Taiyo Yuden.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Thank you DrageMester.
As for the welcome, thanks for that as well. I have used information on the site before, but it’s always been so through and informative, I haven’t had to ask a question until now. I don’t use it all the time, but when I do, never had a problem.

Thanks for the info again, and especially the opening post/posts with the ID info. I got a 10 pack of CD-R’s (not cheep… like $15) that are the Taiyo Yuden media. Kinda needed for slipstreamed OS install CD’s.

You’ve been ripped off it seems, lol. Getting them in 50 or 100 packs may be cheaper.