The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

I’d toss a coin too, as my Litey 1635S does TYG03 pretty well, too. T03 also does well with my Liteys. :slight_smile:

Thanks all.
I haven’t coins :slight_smile: so think I’ll buy T03, as slight better records :).
Where’s possible to see scans T03 vs TYG03, better on LiteOn?

In the Blank DVD Media Tests forum.

Or, even better, in the DVD Burners subforum. There are “Post your scans and questions” threads for each and every model.

I’m living in Holland, as far as I could see Rima doesn’t ship to European countries. Do you, or anyone else, have an address in Europe where I can get these TY DVD+R YUDEN000T02 8x (printable)?

SVP has them as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

I’m still a bit puzzled: I used Verbatim DVD+R 16x printable MCC 004 for quite some time, never had any problem. But I read that the Verbatims got worse since the new discs come from India instead of Taiwan. Taiyo Yuden has a good reputation, nevertheless the 16x DVD YUDEN000T03 seems to be not as good as the 8x YUDEN000T02. So I thought I would make a good choice with YUDEN000T02. But the price is rather high. Do you think this 8x TY disc is worth its price compared with the Verbatim 16x, especially with regard to its longevity?

Can I answer? :slight_smile:
Well, the answer is: [B]YES[/B], YUDEN000 T02 IS worth the money. I’ll explain my point in a bit strange manner:

You know, in Belarus there is no unbranded TY media at all. If you have a good luck, you can only find Verbatims made in Japan, which seem to be VERRRRY rare! Once I was very surprised when I saw “Made in Japan” string on a freshly bought Verbatim 16x DVD+R 25pcs package. My first thought even was: it is a fake, it can’t be TY :bigsmile:! So, I was very surprised, when the MIJ-ness :bigsmile: of the discs confirmed to be true. And now, already 2 months passed, I haven’t seen them anymore, only taiwanese and indian.
Well, but these were 16x, YUDEN000 T03 discs! There is no YUDEN000 T02 at all! No Verbatim Pastel! No Plextors (frankly speaking, I’ve seen them only for 1 time as Plextor 4x DVD+Rs in Jewel cases. Bought only 3 pcs :(. If I had known they were TY, would buy MUCH more!)! So, if I could get some YUDEN000 T02 discs, I would be really happy! And I would pay 3xPriceOfTYMedia in that case!
At the same time, T03s are fine. I don’t complain, but a bit not sure, if they are of the same longevity as T02 or worse (or maybe better, who knows?).

T03 did much worse than T02 when tested in 2006 using basic climatic stability testing by c’t magazine. As for T03 compared to T02, no competition, T02 is far superior in my experience.

Such a stability test usually only includes one or two batches, though.
It could be that things are completely different with another T03 and another T02 batch. :slight_smile:

Yes, that is a possibility. But, at the same time, such supposition would lead you to doubt the results for every media tested by c’t :wink: or indeed any other such testing or even real world experiences :stuck_out_tongue:

Is this the often quoted C’test?:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405&start=149
according to this,TYG02 is the worst regarding stability (and therefore longevity?).Hmm.Should I bin them? They are the professionals after all :bow:

I guess this is related to the bonding issues that are occasionally reported.
If a disc is bonded poorly, it is possible that air can enter and therefore accelerate degradation.

Can someone post a picture of the Silver Lacquer (Shiny Silver) surface T02? I’m having a hard time seeing what this surface looks like.

I’ve got my batch of Silver Lacquer (Shiny Silver) surface T02s and the plastic top of the dvd has come unattached from one of the discs. Common problem? and are they really usable without the top plastic?

Please dispose any DVD with only one instead of two layers. It might damage your drive.

Plastic wrapped 5 pack in jewel cases. See photographs below.

skelton@europa:~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY: [HL-DT-ST][DVD-RAM GSA-H22N][1.02]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media: 1Bh, DVD+R
Media ID: YUDEN000/T02
Current Write Speed: 8.0x1385=11080KB/s
Write Speed #0: 8.0x1385=11080KB/s
Write Speed #1: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s

Errm…hate to say it, but you labelled the pics wrong - YUDEN000 T02, not T03 :smiley:

What a dummy! :rolleyes:

Blonde Moment, happens to us all :bigsmile: