The state of blank dvd media today...2011

After a burning binge over the holidays, (my brother wanted a lot of his videos transferred to dvds), I ran out of my day to day disks, which are Verbatim MCC-004. Down to my precious Yuden000T02’s, I decided to go buy a few more Verbatims at the local stores. Fat chance.

Best Buy only had the “Life Series” Verbatims, for what I considered an inflated price. Interestingly, they had MovieReel 8x -R’s as well, but at very nearly $1 apiece, I somehow had little interest in them.

None of the other stores in my area have Verbatim. None of them carry JVC TY disks of any sort.

Its come down to Sony (of unknown provenance), Memocrap, err I mean Memorex, HP, TDK, Philips and a few store brands. The shelf space used for dvds in the stores is down to a tenth of what it once was. The demand for them is dropping like a stone.

So on to my question. Is there a type of disk easily available in stores that is worthy of being recommended? I still deal with people asking for recommendations all the time on media, but the two types I prefer seem to be gone from the local stores. Have we come to the point that only online sources can provide high quality disks, or are there some amongst the brands I avoid that might be worthy of consideration? Personally, I’ll just order TY online and not worry too much about it, but we could use a breakdown of who makes the current disks for the various brands and a general rule of thumb on how dependable they are.

It seems to me that quality and availability of DVD/CD media is still on a downwards spiral, so I hesitate to recommend anything - I probably already have all the blank CD and DVD media I will ever need, so I don’t need to hunt for good stuff myself anymore.

I’m sorry to say that any DVD media recommendation based on current experience, might be irrelevant when the recommended brand decides to sell something cheaper and crappier tomorrow or the day after. :frowning:

I picked up 2 100 packs of Verbatim AZOs from Frys last weekend for $16.95USD, and a couple more from Newegg about a month ago. I will use them for family and friends that want me to do their DVDs. I have quite a few 8x sony TY02 for my use. I also have a bunch of Memorex MII from when Memorex first started using the MII discs, they are very good discs. Oh yea the Fuji 8x TY02s I have aren’t real good, about like value line TYs.

About these You can find easly, I can tell that I have very good experience with Infomedia Philips (or Infomedia DVD’s in general). Some of them gives me the best scans of DVD-R I ever measured, and the oldest one from 2008. is still in perfect shape. DVD+R is also very good.

Here are some of my best scans of Infomedia DVD-R:

Unfortunately, any Infomedia media are almost impossible to find outside the continental Europe and even there are quite rare.
Also, there is no way to distinguish between the CMC Magnetics, Ritek or Infomedia made (packaged) Philips media.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I found the $16.95 deal for Verbatim still available at Frys online, so ordered some there.

I would still like to see a current summary, but am not willing to put in the time to go through all the exhaustive testing to build one. :slight_smile: Burnsama, jubjubbird, 2601, et al are still providing raw data, its just not quickly referenced. Besides, they don’t always mention brands.

I will only buy Sony at the retail level, everything else is mediocre at best, but not reliable :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2567711]I will only buy Sony at the retail level, everything else is mediocre at best, but not reliable :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
that was until I got Ritek F16-01 in the +R :a
so I guess its going to be who packages the best Ritek :doh:

As far as my personal data storage goes, I switched completly to HDDs.
They are a lot cheaper per GB and have many, many other advantages for me.

And for quick giveaways for friends, family etc. about every media is good enough.

The demand for recordable CD/DVD media is steadily decreasing and I wouldn’t be surprised if Verbatim drops their recordable media business.

Me too, but burning and collecting media is fun. :bigsmile:

I would still like to see a current summary, but am not willing to put in the time to go through all the exhaustive testing to build one.

What makes you think anyone else wants to waste their time with such a project? If you want it, you’ll need to do it yourself. There isn’t any point to making a chart if there’s nothing worth pointing out as exceptional.

Retail blank media buying is dead. The only way to get decent media now is online.

Speaking of retail media, I grabbed a spindle of Maxell CD-R Pro from Fry’s recently. I wish I had paid closer attention to the packaging; they’re no longer MIJ Taiyo Yuden. These are Ritek :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=pepst;2567979]Me too, but burning and collecting media is fun. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I agree but alas [B]Fun is in the mind of the person having it[/B].:wink:

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2567966]that was until I got Ritek F16-01 in the +R :a
so I guess its going to be who packages the best Ritek :doh:[/QUOTE]

I got some of the RITEK F16-01 branded as Fuji DVD+R 16X and sadly to say, out of 20 discs burned from the 100pack, 13 of them can’t even be read after certain sectors (20-30% of the total written data). the very same burner and software burns Sony, TY, Memorex, Imation and Prodisc (made in china) without any issue.

Ooo, for day to day general discs, has anyone tried MBI CD-Rs? I hear their media production is very stable. :slight_smile: Mine was, even though it was under the Memosux name :smiley: (MBI ATIP… Quite a surprise as I expected CMC or Ritek!)

[QUOTE=supercoolman;2570511]I got some of the RITEK F16-01 branded as Fuji DVD+R 16X and sadly to say, out of 20 discs burned from the 100pack, 13 of them can’t even be read after certain sectors (20-30% of the total written data). the very same burner and software burns Sony, TY, Memorex, Imation and Prodisc (made in china) without any issue.[/QUOTE]
RITEK F16-01 branded as Ridata burns fine for me so far on a Benq DW1640 BSRB at 8X, max PIF often 3-4, max PIE less than 16, no read problems. One coaster out of 80.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2572544]Ooo, for day to day general discs, has anyone tried MBI CD-Rs?[/QUOTE]I don’t like them for their high jitter which is causing readability problems with picky CD players. So I prefer CMC and Ritek (apart from TY of course) for audio CDs.

For data, the MBI stuff should be okay.

Michael

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2567711]I will only buy Sony at the retail level, everything else is mediocre at best, but not reliable :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
As of Q3-2010, Sony stopped manufacturing blank DVD media, although it still manufactures Blu Ray blank media. It is now factoring:( There is some old stock but it is disappearing quickly…

[QUOTE=GeorgeGear;2576831]As of Q3-2010, Sony stopped manufacturing blank DVD media, although it still manufactures Blu Ray blank media.[/QUOTE]
Do you mean DVDR manufacturing in their Japanese or Austrian media plants?
Media with Sony’s MID codes are still being produced by MBIL.

[QUOTE=pepst;2576838]Do you mean DVDR manufacturing in their Japanese or Austrian media plants?
Media with Sony’s MID codes are still being produced by MBIL.[/QUOTE]

Yes. All new stock for Sony MIDs is factored.