The Slug Race Part II: storage cards (SD, xD, etc)

vbimport

Dane-Elec 8GB Class 4 SDHC. This card is 3.5 years old and has been heavily used when I had my GPS “Jail-broken” into Windows CE and used the card for installing software on, storing music, etc. Now used as a spare card for my camera.

SanDisk Ultra SDHC Class 6 8 GB card
http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging/sandisk-ultra-sdhc

SanDisk Ultra SDHC Class 6 16 GB card
http://www.sandisk.com/products/imag...isk-ultra-sdhc

Emtec class 10 8 GB SDHC

[QUOTE=pepst;2625082]Emtec (…)[/QUOTE]Any questions? :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2625185]Any questions? :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

The 4K & 4KQD32 results may not look pretty, but in real life use, the card is pretty fast (usable in 5 exposures RAW+JPG bracketing mode).
Here is the Atto Disk Benchmark test:

While looking for something in the attic, I came across an old 256MB Compact Flash card:

It was 2/3 filled with photos dated between July and September 2004 and impressively, every single one was intact.

For curiosity, I ran a surface scan in HD Tune and this was all positive:

While it ain’t fast by any means, but still has 512K and 4K write figures that rival many cards today. For some reason CrystalDiskMark stopped responding during the 4K threaded test, so this is as far as it got:

I also found a 1GB FujiFilm type ‘H’ card after digging out an old memory card reader to read a visitor’s Sony card:

Again, it was 2/3 filled with photos going back to October 2008, but unlike the above card, Windows photo viewer kept hanging while trying to open the pictures. As I was not fully sure whether I had them all on my PC, I copied the full card across. This was a pretty slow process, with the transfer rate varying between below 1MB/s and 3MB/s:

Quite surprisingly when I disconnected the card reader, plugged it in again and tried another copy, it went much faster, so it seemed like the card done some sort of background process to improve the stored data. Then again, when I ran a full HD Tune scan (using the full read option), it had a few slowdowns during the read process and an interesting change of throughput about 2/3rd way through the read process where the stored data appears to end:

Finally for a CrystalDiskMark test:

This is the first card that I’m aware of that clearly improves with threaded IO operations, but then again even the 4K QD32 test is tiny compared to what many modern cards can deliver. The 4K read performance results (both single and threaded) are the lowest I’ve seen of any card, e.g. compare these to the 256MB card above. :wink:

This is pretty much the first time I used a SD disk (it’s actually from my girlfriends camera and I copied the pictures she took from the disk to my PC)

I decided to run an ATTO test and it seems to be pretty fast right? It’s a Sandisk Ultra 30 MB/s SDHC I 8 GB card…

Yes, that would be fast :iagree:. Very nice to see Sandisk living up to their claimed speeds. That is a keeper.

And thanks for the heads-up on this one. I’ve been shopping for a faster card for my camera than the class 10 PNY card I’ve been using. You’ve made my shopping a bit easier :flower:.

Here’s a bench of that PNY class 10:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2648776]And thanks for the heads-up on this one.[/QUOTE]You should realize, if you don’t already, that components in flash memory products such as USB keys and SD cards can and will change without notice, so even though you buy a product with the same product number, it might have different performance characteristics - something I’ve experienced several times.

Thanks for the reality-check, Drage :flower:

I too have found some variation in supposedly identical flash products. In this case, though, even a slightly sub-par specimen of that 30MB/sec card should take me quite some distance down the upgrade path :).

Decided to do a quick’n’dirty test of the little Kingston 2GB SD card I keep in my camera:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2648880]You should realize, if you don’t already, that components in flash memory products such as USB keys and SD cards can and will change without notice, so even though you buy a product with the same product number, it might have different performance characteristics - something I’ve experienced several times.[/QUOTE]

I’m curious if there is a pattern to be found. Like with optical discs where some of the ‘experts’ here were able to determine if a disc was good based on e.g. the packaging…

Too bad I threw it away already. But I have to go to the same store again, so I could take a look if required :wink:

I’m also curious what has been the fastest card so far…

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2654111]I’m curious if there is a pattern to be found. Like with optical discs where some of the ‘experts’ here were able to determine if a disc was good based on e.g. the packaging…

Too bad I threw it away already. But I have to go to the same store again, so I could take a look if required :wink:

I’m also curious what has been the fastest card so far…[/QUOTE]

Good points DoMi :iagree:

Same with memory sticks - I wonder if there’s anything on the packaging that would tell? Sadly I too have none of the original packaging anymore. :frowning:

Samsung 32GB UHS-1 Class 6 MicroSD, bought during the Amazon Black Friday

I bought this as storage for Android. I haven’t seen great performance from MicroSD cards in the past, but then again, we’re talking about a memory card that fits on a fingertip.

However, this one is no slug…

CrystalDiskMark:

ATTO:

Makes my full size “Class 10” SD cards look like slugs. :smiley:

Now for a Lexar Class 10 High Speed MicroSD card…

CrystalDiskMark & ATTO:

It may meet Class 10 on sequential write, but goes to show that the Class number, “High Speed”, etc. ratings are little other than marketing hype…

Compare the 512K and 4K write figures to my Samsung MicroSD card in the post above - This sure is a slug in comparison.

Kingston 1 GB MicroSD (about 7 years old).

PNY SDHC Standard 16GB

Verbatim Micro SDHC 16 GB