The Slug Race Part II: storage cards (SD, xD, etc)

I thought it’s a good idea to have the storage cards in their own league, especially since they are often handicapped by the card reader used :slight_smile:

Card reader here is a Alcor Micro USB 2.0 card reader which is integrated into my Acer 1810TZ laptop.

First card is a generic 2GB SD card, sold in a drugstore under their “Paradies” brand.

Another gem from a supermarket:
2GB SD from Aldi’s “Traveler” brand. The sticker also states High Speed for whatever reason.

2 GB Verbatim Micro SD with adapter

Now something older:
512 MB Transcend SD 80x rating (equals 80x CD speed :slight_smile: )

And finally, a 256 MB Transcend SD card with “45x” rating.

Now there are two very promising candidates for the “most sluggish device” award of this thread:

1. Canon 16 MB SD (came with a camera)
  2. Toshiba 16 MB SD (no idea where I have it from)
    Oh, and before you ask: 16 Megabyte is correct for both. :wink:

I remember several years ago seeing someone with a 2MB SmartMedia card and had their ancient camera connected to the PC with a serial (RS232) lead.

I’ve two AData 16GB Class 6 Turbo SDHC cards, bought roughly one year apart, the newer shown on the left:

The first scan below is of the older card:

To show that not all card readers are the same, the figures pasted on the right is with this same card in a Sweex internal multi-reader. The main differences seem to be block sizes up to 32KB, especially the 16KB block size.

Now for the scan of the newer card:

While the read speeds are pretty much the same as the first card with the same reader, the write speeds are much slower. I didn’t expect this much of a difference, but at least shows something DrageMester mentioned earlier.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2556933]Now there are two very promising candidates for the “most sluggish device” award of this thread[/QUOTE] I think I can beat those in terms of sluggishness with the following CF cards… :cool:

Two CompactFlash cards used in my Psion Series 3a/c PDAs. Both tests performed in a built-in generic multi-card reader in a new pc:

1. Psion 10 MB CompactFlash made by SanDisk in 1997

2. Simple Technology 48 MB CompactFlash (unknown year)

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2557293] Two CompactFlash cards used in my Psion Series 3a/c PDAs[/QUOTE] On second thought, the cards were probably used in my Psion Series 5 (not 3a/c).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2557293]I think I can beat those in terms of sluggishness with the following CF cards… :cool:[/QUOTE]rats! :bigsmile:

Silicon Power 32GB Class 10 SDHC with a Prectec SDXC card reader:

Nice write speed. :slight_smile:

So far I have not managed to find any SD card/reader combination that will read faster than about 21MB/s.

Kingston 4 GB microSDHC

SanDisk 4 GB microSDHC

7DayShop own-brand Professional 16GB Class 10 SDHC using SanDisk MicroMate reader:

Dane-Elec 32GB ProLine 200x Class 10 SDHC:

When it comes to SDHC cards, it seems like the faster the sequential write speed, the slower the 4K write speed.

Cheap is not necessarily slow.
The price of that Sandisk 4GB SDHC card (class 4) was only 5 Euros. Performance is much better than that of USB sticks with the same price tag.

^ That’s pretty impressive for a Class 4 card, quicker write than my 16GB Class 10 card two posts above. :slight_smile:

SanDisk 8GB Class 4 SDHC, bought for ~€8 a week ago:

Edit: For some reason my PC is cropping the right of screenshots.

:eek: I did not expect this massive difference…

Michael

Medion 8GB SDHC card, Class 6. Bought at Aldi for 8,99 EUR

Kingstone SDHC class 4 4GB