Now that LiteOn has finally posted the specs for the new SHW-1635S, I thought that it’s time to start a new thread for this drive…
An older thread about this drive: [thread]140270[/thread]
What we know about this drive:
- We believe that this drive will have a new chassis, much like the SOHC-5236K. Quieter, no more headphone jack and volume control, and a slower, but sturdier tray. Should be the same short length as before.
- The major change is the addition of 8x +R9. I won’t be surprised, however, if they try to do what they did with the 3S drives and incrementally add more features (DVD-RAM?) in successive 5S drive models.
- This drive is using a new chipset, so don’t even think about 3S->5S conversions.
- When I first saw “SHW” a while ago, I thought that it must surely be a typo. But now the LiteOn website has confirmed that the name really is “SHW”. Weird.
- As for write quality, it’s unknown at the moment, and it’s hard to predict, since they’re moving on to a new chipset. It might be the same as before. It might be worse than before. It might be better than before. I would imagine that, like the 3S drives, the earlier revisions of the 5S will probably not perform as well as the later revisions. But as for 5S vs. 3S comparisons, it’s impossible to say.