The roadmap of shareware

vbimport

Say you have a shareware product.
Product X with version number Y.

In the legal aspects of the product (the end user license agreement or whatever) there's a nice line that you can use this program for 30 days to try it. (This could be seen as a license for 30 days)

After those 30 days you decide if you like it and thus buy it.. Or perform an uninstall on your computer and stop using it.

Now here comes the "tricky" thing.

Product X comes out with version number Z.

Again in the (not changed) legal aspects of the program it says you can try it for 30 days. You decide to download this program and try it for 30 days as well.

After those 30 days you uninstall it and stop using it.

and so on and so on , till the license agreement changes.

So far everything is legal , because you follow the license agreement to the letter.

Now of course i know that the intention of shareware is not that you can keep getting new versions and keep trying them for 30 days. But it is still LEGAL. (So please no crap about that shareware is not intended to be used in this way.)

Now in the version issues programmers have some utilities and tricks built in to check if you already had a shareware product. But since it's my pc and have a legitemate license to the operating system i can do the hell whatever i want with it.
I can set fire to my system and i can legally modify all data on the system if i don't touch any legal issues or copyright infringment.

Because i allowed the program to be installed on my system and i ask it to be removed. I can also (try to) modify the registry or delete any damn trace the program has made on my system (As long as i uphold my license agreement with MickeySoft). It's my registry and my files.

(Would be cool : "You are not allowed to delete this file on your own system , part of the end of user license agreement on which you are still bound even if you uninstalled and cease to use the program)

For instance , AdAware removes some traces that some P2P programs make in your system.

Say for instance this comes to a conflict with the programmer/software house and we all go to court.
I could convince the court that i am still doing legal business. Upheld my end of the user license agreement and i cannot help it that the programmer is stupid enough to update his version every 2 weeks and stil have a 30 day license on each product.

Hence the roadmap title ; if the programmer decided to bring an update every two months i could do this : month 1: use software , motnh 2 : no software on my system ; month 3: use new version , and so on.

Now .. in this particular matter and end of user license agreements that do not speak of "if you used previous versions before you are not allowed to run the shareware period over and over again" , am i untouchable ? Did i find a weird legal loophole in never buying shareware software at all ? Or did i forget something ?

I know most shareware today is "crippleware". They leave important functionality out or have limits on its use , but in this example i am speaking of fully working shareware of course.

i see it as you do…and i do it like i see it…lol

Wonder what the forum’s ‘legal expert’ would say on this :wink:

i can do the hell whatever i want with it.
I can set fire to my system

heheh…nice

I agree totally…

Ive never written Shareware or crippleware - well I have but never released it as such - usually give people the serial number of those who want it…

But I write or include within my Shareware a dll file which gets plonked onto machine and doesnt get removed via uninstall.
When next installed the prog looks to this dll and if there it wont install (thats if the thirty days are up) if it has been deleted it wont install either - as an entry in the registry tells the prog to look for the dll and get use count) The idea is that most users dont run regmon software and even if they do they wouldnt have a clue of how to delete the dll and edit the registry… As entries dont go under Software name for obvious reasons Ha ha…

I give my stuff away free as the pain of bug finding ( written for one system - probs when run on another) are too much to bear…
Ha Ha…

Steve M (JazCom)
:smiley:

this is my personal feelings only

But I write or include within my Shareware a dll file which gets plonked onto machine and doesnt get removed via uninstall.
and

it has been deleted it wont install either - as an entry in the registry tells the prog to look for the dll and get use count

something i dont agree with at all. i know a lot of software developers do it, but the idea of the “uninstall file” is to remove all the shit that your program put on there in the first place. not just remove what i can see and know about.

now i respect a prgrammers right to earn $$$ and im against piracy for profit etc etc, but i hold these tactics on the same level as Microsofts phone home technology.

Dont complain about people not buying your software. Most people only buy something if its good enough / suits there purposes. (that wasnt intended at a personal insult, im just refering to shareware releases in general). sure some people wont buy the software nomatter how good it is, but dont forget, nobody forced you to release shareware. there are other methods of publicity…

my 2c, again, i didnt mean anything personal.

to set up a perfect horrible comparison

i have a party at my house. you are invited. eventually it gets dark, and you leave, but not before you sh*t in my sock drawer (for whatever reason).

whether its today or 3 weeks from now that i open that drawer, you’ve left, and left traces behind that you were there. i dont want that at my party. you can come, have a good time, if i like ya, u can stay, otherwise, get the hell out and dont leave little ‘presents’ behind.

ugh, worst post ever.

heh…jazcom will love it
hehe

Ha Ha Ha…

Well Im not one for poo pooing in sock draws Ha ha…

I could rant on about how its those who HAVE rather than the HAVE NOTS who are not willing to pay their way in life… and are self centred unhelpful creatures on earth. But when they come unstuck they want everyone and everything to change to suit.

It takes hours to write some decent software and debug etc and if it takes a few pieces of poo to be left on a cheats machine then so be it… CloneCD is a perfect example of decent shareware/crippleware (thats if it still only writes at 2 speed till registered)

There are those who take and there are those who give… Usually the takers are the high earners in this world - look around and open your eyes. The little old dear struggling to survive on a pension is usually the one who places a few coins in the charity box - whereas the high earner will go to the functions but put in an expenses sheet for doing so…

Its only cheats who have to fear the poo - because once registered its normal practice to remove some of the poo upon entry of the code and the clicking of a button, apart from a few bytes in the registry - but we can live with than I think?

Same as I say I dont include it now - unless of course I come up with something thats spectacular…

In my 6 years of being a voluntary charity worker the most obnoxious people I come across are those who have been at the top of the ladder and through ill health or what have you have toppled from their perch - and how they crib about having to pay for things in life the rest of us have had to pay for since birth…

Although its kinda unethical of me to say so - but sometimes a little bit of POO does such people good…

Steve M (JazCom)

well said, i cant argue with the last sentence.
Also

In my 6 years of being a voluntary charity worker

RESPECT ! (yeah i watch too much Ali G

the most obnoxious people I come across are those who have been at the top of the ladder

have been at the top and are at the top.

but they’ll tell you they’ve earned the right to be, and of course, ya dont have the resources to argue with them.