The Ring Two

vbimport

Don’t know if anyone else ran into this, but thought I would give a heads up on a peculularity that I ran into backing up The Ring Two.
After making an iso with Clone2.8.5.1 and Anydvd 5.4.1.1, (preserving menus, movie only) I mounted it with VirtualCone and used PowerDvd 5.0 to preview. Selecting play, or scene selection, resulting in the it immediatly going from play to stop, shutting down the movie. At first I figured bad burn and deleted and made a new iso, which resulted in the same scenario.
At that point I tried to view the oringinal disk with PowerDvd and discovered that it reacted the same way.
Turning off AnyDvd however, allowed the original disk to play.
With a bit more experimenting I discovered that unticking the remove annoying adverts and trailers box allowed the original disk to play without any problems.
From here I was able to make an iso with Clone, preserve menus copy movie only, that played fine with PowerDvd, and resulted in a good burn that plays back fine.
Hope this helps anyone else that may have similar problems with this or another backup.
sockeye

In AnyDVD, try to disable the “Remove adverts” function or click DEFAULT.

Just curious. . . Why would you preserve menus when you only want the movie? Is there any special/additional benefits doing it with the menus as opposed to without menus? :confused:

Regards.

The “visual” scene selection. :slight_smile:

Regards,

ET

Thanks for replying to my post…the point of the peculularity I reported, was that I had to disable remove adverts and trailers…(“With a bit more experimenting I discovered that unticking the remove annoying adverts and trailers box allowed the original disk to play without any problems.”)
First time I’ve ever had to do this.
Additionally, the original disk would not play on my desk top with this function enabled, which is what remove annoying adverts and trailers is for…so you aren’t forced to watch them before the movie starts.

eltranquil,
Thankyou!,
I think the menus are a nice touch if you don’t have to comprimise a great deal of quality. Personally, I find that I use the menus, particularly when I don’t make it through an entire movie in one sitting.
Thanks for reading,
sockeye

Yes, but it doesn’t work with all DVDs as is said in AnyDVD’s online help system (right mouse button). It usually doesn’t freeze the playback, but this can’t really be avoided with 100% certainty. Some pre-commands in the playback chain could jump back to the first play chain causing an endless loop which “hangs” the player.

Yea, I agree with him on this one…I like having the scene selection, as well. At least on some movies. The other reason is that on SOME movies, if you include the subtitles, it will turn them ON by default whereas keeping the menu keeps the commands that turn them off. Screwy, but, true.

Thanks for the info, I will be leave the box unchecked in the future, if I’m making a burn or iso. I am still a bit confused though. Why would the disk play fine, after burning movie only. If there is a pre-command at the beginning of the movie or at the beginning of any other chapter, wouldn’t it still be present?
I had a similar problem with Hide and Seek, just continuely returning to the menu, when I hit play or chose a scene. I finally rocorded movie only to make the backup.
I realize now the problem was probably the same. :doh:
Thanks again,
sockeye

Don’t get me wrong, the “no adverts” feature is great and it does work with a lot of movies. You just have to try if it works as it should before making a copy.
Simply play the original disc. If the navigation is fine, you can use it.

If you copy without menus, elby CloneDVD strips all existing pre commands and replaces it with its own navigation.

This makes sense, but… I was able to copy my disk, with functioning menus, after I unticked remove annoying adverts and trailers. :confused:

Still confused?
You just have to try if the “no adverts” function works as it should before making a copy. Play the original disc on your PC with the function anabled. If the navigation is fine, you can use it. Otherwise, untick it before making a copy.

Yes Tru, this is what I stated in my original post. (“With a bit more experimenting I discovered that unticking the remove annoying adverts and trailers box allowed the original disk to play without any problems. From here I was able to make an iso with Clone, preserve menus copy movie only, that played fine with PowerDvd, and resulted in a good burn that plays back fine.”)
It’s your pre-command theory that has me confused :disagree: …why would these commands not be present when I uncheck the adverts box and preserve menus?
Bottom line, does the remove annoying adverts and trailers feature within AnyDvd, have any benefits in the creating of an iso or one clic copying, or is it a just intended for commercial free pc viewing of dvd movies? (Anyone? All comments appreciated.)
Thanks for reading,
sockeye

It is a little bit tricky. You must understand, that AnyDVD and CloneDVD are two seperate entities.
The problem of playback is caused by AnyDVD’s “advert removal” function, if the DVD is mastered in a special way.
It can happen that the virtual machine code of the player enters an endless loop = DVD does not play. This is a very rare condition, but it might happen.
AnyDVD’s magic works for the whole system = Playback (even over the network!) AND copy, of course.
AnyDVD is a driver, so the magic it does is visible for every program on your system. Even the copy command in a DOS box.
If CloneDVD sees the virtual machine code modified by AnyDVD, it will put that on the copy as well. (Usually jumping over adverts. Or in your case - hang because of the endless loop).
If CloneDVD does NOT preserve menus it will remove ALL virtual machine code found on the source disc and replace it with its own. It will remove the jump over adverts (as it is obviously not needed) as well as the problematic endless loop.
I hope I have explained it now well enough. :slight_smile: