The Right External Enclosure for Lite-ON sohw832s

vbimport

how u guys doin, right now i’m considering getting the Lite-on sohw 832s, for my laptop, and i’ve heard that you can buy external enclosures to make internal dvd rw’s into external ones. First how do u look for the right external enclosure to match the dvd burner? The cheapest ones I’ve found are like $30, anywhere I can get them cheaper? Do the 5.25 inch enclosures fit all burners? Do i have to take the burner apart somehow to install it into the enclosure? What is the installation like for these enclosures?

I’m really new to dvd burners and don’t know anything about enclosures, but the idea that buying an internal and making it into an external and costing almost 20 to 30 dollars cheaper than buying an external sounds too good. Any help anybody could give me, would be greatly appreciated…thanks a lot… :smiley:

You could just buy one of the LiteOn external drives.

Enclosures for 5.25" drives will house any optical drive and 3.5" drives as well.
The difference in price will rely on a few things:

• material the casing is made from
  • interface (USB, firewire, both)
  • the IDE controller contained within

I believe that ~30$ is the cheapest you’re goiing to find…but keep in mind that the cheaper you go, you may be getting a lesser quality item.

I’m sure someone else here will have more information as to what chip would be better to use in an external enclosure.

If your planning on burning DVDs at 8x i would suggest you get a firewire enclosure. usb2 has a hard time writing at that speed. the best type are the ones with the new oxford chipsets.

Hi

I’m about to get a NEC 3500A and I am also looking for an external enclosure. I am looking for one with Firewire and USB (Firewire more important). I want it to be reasonably quiet and £30-£40. It would be nice if it could go on its side. And I want one that doesn’t just look like a brick!

Any links. And what difference do the new oxford chipsets you mention make?

Thanks