The RIAA vs. Tenise Barker--could this case end it all?

vbimport

I just posted the article The RIAA vs. Tenise Barker–could this case end it all?.

This article humanizes the current individual and collective struggle against the RIAA and its “everyone’s-a-pirate” approach. First we learned of the Patti Santangelo case, with her…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12842-The-RIAA-vs_-Tenise-Barker--could-this-case-end-it-all.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12842-The-RIAA-vs_-Tenise-Barker--could-this-case-end-it-all.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This hardly seems to be the case that the anti-RIAA folks should be hitching their wagon to. “I was unaware of copyright laws. I mean, why create P2P file sharing if it’s a crime?”, has got to be one of the stupidest defenses I’ve ever heard. Indeed, why grow and process coca leaves if it’s a crime? The Santangelo case had similar problems since she never comes out and categorically denies that her daughter had used P2P services and downloaded copyrighted content. At least she was smart (or well advised) enough to keep her mouth shut about it and try to shift the issue to the tactics the RIAA used to prosecute her. There is a big difference between believing in fair use rights for consumers who buy a product and endorsing sharing copyrighted content with people who never paid one red cent. CD Freaks does itself a disservice to side with these people just as environmentalists look terrible when they endorse the extremist wackos who go around torching SUV dealerships. You can feel outrage and anger that the legal system is being abused by the RIAA without defending people who really are guilty of intellectual property infringement.

hmm… let’s remember that in the American system of jurisprudence, all parties are “innocent until proven guilty,” so this is only an allegation at this point. It’s quite a stretch to say CDFreaks “sides” with guilty people, as the point of the article is to point out RIAA abuses. Besides, to this point, the RIAA’s abuses have hardly been curtailed, and that is the point of this article. Even taking the RIAA’s mission at face value of stopping pirates (in terms of those who foment widespread distribution and profit from it), the RIAA’s blanket approach has not stopped the true ‘pirates,’ but has also created so much unnecessary collateral damage that this matter must have attention drawn to it, even if it risks having a minority take exception to the presentation.