The rarest/most obscure recordable medium

Speaking of rare media, I wonder what are some of the good spots to still find the stuff, other than eBay?

Here in the states, Unity Electronics in California and ByteFixx in New Hampshire each have a good stash.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2127928]Thanks again Ibex (I love how much detail you put into the posts) :)[/QUOTE]

:flower: In real life people just complain that I go on and on, and take too long to get to the point. :flower:

I used to have a very unusual disc that came with my computer in November 2000. It was a white topped CD-R (thermal not inkjet printable), but the underside looked exactly like a proper factory pressed CD (silver with no visible dye colour). I can’t remember who made it.

Sadly I think I threw it away 4 years ago when I had a clear out. I thought that I would never need it because my computer came with an ATI graphics card and the CD only contained out of date Nvidia drivers.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2127942]:flower: In real life people just complain that I go on and on, and take too long to get to the point. :flower:[/QUOTE]

Hehehe, well not here - the more detail the better! :smiley:

@negritude - here in the UK, people still find the odd stock of rare media in places like Pound Shops (dollar stores to you).

CMC Magnetics & Prodisc are making a “diamond” CD-Rs, so most likely one of them.
I love Prodisc’s diamond printable CD-Rs, but it is almost impossible to find them now. :sad:

You are so lucky… I have only 9 MIJ Maxells. :o (thanks EZ674 ;))

I have a 5-pack of Maxell TYG01, about 12 MAXELL003, and only 4 Maxell YUDEN000 T01 :sad:

[QUOTE=pepst;2127959]CMC Magnetics & Prodisc are making a “diamond” CD-Rs, so most likely one of them.
I love Prodisc’s diamond printable CD-Rs, but it is almost impossible to find them now. :sad:

You are so lucky… I have only 9 MIJ Maxells. :o (thanks EZ674 ;))
[/QUOTE]

About 30+ MIJ +R 16x Maxell.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2127969]I have a 5-pack of Maxell TYG01, about 12 MAXELL003, and only 4 Maxell YUDEN000 T01 :sad:[/QUOTE]

TY & Maxell :cool:.

[QUOTE=vroom;2127974]About 30+ MIJ +R 16x Maxell.
[/QUOTE]

Nice discs :iagree: - I like the 8x +R as well (MAXELL002), but I ran out of those ages ago. I know I should have bought more when they were around :doh:

That’s why i am getting some more [B]That’s +R 8x[/B] ;).

Those 8x maxell were very nice, i have some (burned), but they were hard to find in Greece :(.

I don’t know if any of these would be considered rare, but you’d probably have a hard time finding any today:

2 x 5pc Verbatim Pastel 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02) in jewel case
1 x 10pc TDK ScrathProof 8x DVD+R (TDK 002) Made in Luxembourg in cakebox
1 x 10pc TDK ScratchProof 8x DVD-R (TTH01) Made in Luxembourg in cakebox
1 x 25pc Kodak CD-R 12x 700MB Ultima Silver+Gold in cakebox + 8 discs in another opened cakebox (made in 1999)

2 x 10pc Verbatim MediDisc 52x CD-R Made in India (Super AZO) in jewel case
11 x 10pc Verbatim MediDisc 8x DVD-R Made by Prodisc (MCC 02RG20) in jewel case

3 x 25pc Verbatim 8x DVD-R (TYG02) Made in Japan in cakebox

A sh*tload of Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) and DVD-R (MXL RG04) still available from SVP and DamroTech if you hurry

[QUOTE=pepst;2127959]CMC Magnetics & Prodisc are making a “diamond” CD-Rs, so most likely one of them.
I love Prodisc’s diamond printable CD-Rs, but it is almost impossible to find them now. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I think I remember seeing some (Prodisc?) at SVP earlier this year.

Some pictures of my Kodak media:
Kodak 52x CD-R (made in India by MBIL)

Kodak 52x CD-R (made in China by UmeDisc)

Kodak Ultima CD-R silver/gold (made in Ireland by Kodak :sad:)

Kodak 16x DVD-R (made in India by MBIL)

Kodak 8x DVD-R (made in China by UmeDisc)

[QUOTE=pepst;2128302]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, blast from the past - I used those (1x-2x, 650MB though) when I had my first CD burner back in '98 :smiley:

[quote=pepst;2128302]

[/quote]

I have about a 100 of those, burned ages ago. Very good discs, and I remember that I got them relatively cheap back then.

[QUOTE=pepst;2128302]
[/QUOTE]

The next disc I was going to dig out was one of those Kodak Infoguard discs (from 2000). If I can find it I will do a scan.

Do all of those Kodak discs have a Kodak ATIP/MID?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2128372]
Do all of those Kodak discs have a Kodak ATIP/MID?[/QUOTE]

My ones from '98-2000 all did. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2128372]The next disc I was going to dig out was one of those Kodak Infoguard discs (from 2000). If I can find it I will do a scan.

The old - InfoGuard ones? As far as I know yes.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2128372]

Yes.

Digital 52x CD-R (Plasmon ATIP, made in Ukraine)

[QUOTE=juancdg;2127867]Hi pepst, the Mitsui’s CD-R media is made in Taiwan. Here are more pictures of this disc.[/QUOTE]

Prodisc made !

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2128443]Prodisc made ![/QUOTE]

:eek: I did not know that Mitsui did outsource a media from Prodisc…