The rarest/most obscure recordable medium

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2127187] I also have two TDK CD-R blanks made in the USA.[/QUOTE]
How old are they? What is their rated speed?

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2127284]
Hmm what is rare media.
Some might say Customer Pressing Oosterhout cd-r’s might be rare but fact is that they were sold with big volumes through all sorts of homebrands.[/QUOTE]

Phtalocyanine or cyanine? Do you have a chance to post some pictures?

Does anybody still have some Mitsui or Kodak gold CD-Rs, any 1-4x CD-Rs, SKC cyanine CD-Rs, first Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs or Mitsui Gold DVD-Rs?
Any pictures would be great. ;):bow:

The rarest disc I have is a Memorex branded Ritek CD I bought a couple of years ago. It looks just like the other 99 in the pack and even has the same ATIP code. But there must be something unusual about it because when I scanned it the C1 average was only 0.78. Every other disc in the pack that I scanned had a C1 average of at least 20 (and a few C2 errors) so there must be something special about that disc. I still have it somewhere.

Okay we all know about Ritek’s inconsistent disc quality these days. But it does show that Memorex’s quality control was only 99%. How did they let that one slip through? :stuck_out_tongue:

On a more serious note I am now inspired to go through my oldest CDs (all burned) and see who made them. I don’t have that many, but the oldest are from 1996 (or possibly earlier) and are an interesting mix of branded and unbranded. I am also curious to see how many are still readable.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2127458]
On a more serious note I am now inspired to go through my oldest CDs (all burned) and see who made them. I don’t have that many, but the oldest are from 1996 (or possibly earlier) and are an interesting mix of branded and unbranded. I am also curious to see how many are still readable.[/QUOTE]

I’d be interested in hearing about those, if you have the time to go through them :slight_smile:

I still got couple hundred Hitachi Maxell CD-R ( Dark Blue )
and SONY CD-R ( SONY MID ) Made in Italy

[QUOTE=pepst;2127439]How old are they? What is their rated speed?[/QUOTE]

I got them off of Ebay this year, but I’m sure they’re 10+ years old. They’re rated 1-8x.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2127466]I’d be interested in hearing about those, if you have the time to go through them :)[/QUOTE]

Here’s a couple to keep you occupied my PURRRRY friend. These were the first two that came to hand. I will try and dig out some more if I have time but this week I am supposed to be resting then packing before migrating south next week (I’ll be back in October).

The first disc is from April 1998. I am not sure how rare it is but I thought it worth deviating from the thread topic a bit and posting a scan (apologies to Pepst).

Unbranded - White label with black lettering.
“CD-R 74 multispeed disc”
“Recordable 74 minutes 650MB”
“No. 07 337”

There is also a Compact Disc Recordable logo and a barcode. No speed is given but at the time the fastest CD writers were 4x.

The disc has a gold reflective layer and nothing printed on the top. It is a Cyanine dye and if I remember correctly the last number of the ATIP code gives the exact type (type 0).

Manufacturer: : CMC Magnetics
MID : 97m26s60f
Capacity: : 75:00.00

The disc is perfectly readable and the transfer rate test is perfect (Samsung SH-S202N used). I also did a Benq scan which I think is very good for the age of the disc. There is a large E22 spike halfway which is due to a hole in the top of the disc (through reflective and dye layers). The upper surface of the disc is not very well protected and I think that the hole was caused by the corner of the jewel case lid. The disc has been written on in fine black marker but this does not appear to have done any harm.

The BLER is very low across the rest of the disc. If it wasn’t for that hole this disc would be right up there with my best Verbatim Pastel Taiyo Yuden. The BLER average for the first part of the disc before the hole was 0.14 with a maximum peak of about 16. An amazing result for a disc over 10 years old, and remember it’s a cheap unbranded disc (although back then cheap was about £7 per CDR disc). I wish that CMC Magnetics (or anyone else) made discs this good now.

The second disc is a Memorex 1-8x 80 Minute CDR “Professional Recordable Compact Disc”, part of a box of 10 (in jewel cases) I purchased in 2000 for £12. So again it is probably not very rare. The disc has a silver reflective layer, a Cyanine dye (type 1) and Memorex branding printed on the top.

Manufacturer: : Lead Data
MID : 97m26s51f
Capacity: : 79:59.74

It was written in September 2000 on a 4x Panasonic IDE drive (I can’t be bothered to look up the exact model). Like the previous disc it is still readable and the transfer rate test was perfect. I haven’t done a proper scan of this disc, but a quick scan showed that it has a much higher BLER average than the first disc.

After 8 years I am still using the cardboard box the Memorex discs came in to store CDs in sleeves.

The rarest media? For me the rarest media that I have is a 10 pack of Smart Buy cds (Prodisc) that are coloured on the bottom side.

Disc Info:

Also I have this Mitsui’s CD-R. The most rare of this, is that my 10-year old cd player can read this disc, any other CD-R won’t read on it.

Disc Info:

Rarest and most obscure media here:
Playo Ritek PRo DVD+R with mediacode CTRLALTDEL 66
Diznee Xmas DVD-R with mediacode TNKRBELL002
Verbatim Burton DVD-R with mediacode BEETLJCE 666
Taiyo Iodine antiseptic DVD+R with mediacode NOMUMMY03

[QUOTE=Ibex;2127580]The first disc is from April 1998. I am not sure how rare it is but I thought it worth deviating from the thread topic a bit and posting a scan (apologies to Pepst).[/QUOTE]
No problem at all, scans are welcomed :flower:

[QUOTE=juancdg;2127632]
Also I have this Mitsui’s CD-R. The most rare of this, is that my 10-year old cd player can read this disc, any other CD-R won’t read on it.[/QUOTE]

Nice media, juancdg. Where was your Mitsui CD-R made?

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2127653]Rarest and most obscure media here:
Playo Ritek PRo DVD+R with mediacode CTRLALTDEL 66
Diznee Xmas DVD-R with mediacode TNKRBELL002
Verbatim Burton DVD-R with mediacode BEETLJCE 666
Taiyo Iodine antiseptic DVD+R with mediacode NOMUMMY03[/QUOTE]
:bigsmile: Where could I buy some Playo Ritek Pro DVDs?? :confused:

Some more pictures of rare media:
Esperanza Audio CD-R (made in Taiwan by Viva Magnetics)

Emtec DVD-RAM Type 2 (made in Taiwan by Optodisc, MXL7 MID :eek:)

Emtec CD-R Black Carbon (made in ???, MBI ATIP)

Alfa Vision DVD-R (made in Bulgary by MediaSys, EZOSDVDR MID)

Disney DVD-R 8x (made in Taiwan by King Disc Technology)

Guess its time for me to drop by :wink:

[B]4x DVD-R and DVD+R made by Monarch
MID: ENGAGE01 and VDSPMSAB 001
both sealed 10pc cakes[/B]

[B]Vivastar 16x CD-Rs, Made by Vivastar in Switzerland[/B]

[B]Sentinel 2.4x DVD+RW, made by Sentinel in Belgium
some sealed 10pc packs[/B]

[B]4 (74/80/Audio) CDA Datenträger Albrechts CD-Rs, Made in Germany
extremely old, probably 4x speed max
sealed[/B]

[QUOTE=pepst;2127747]Nice media, juancdg. Where was your Mitsui CD-R made?
[/QUOTE]

Hi pepst, the Mitsui’s CD-R media is made in Taiwan. Here are more pictures of this disc.

@Ibex- thanks for the scan and the very detailed post! :flower:

Lots of interesting info in there, I love it :)…I believe my first discs were Kodak (manufactured by Kodak), and they were 1-2x CDR. They were a bit cheaper than yours (about £2-£3 a pop IIRC), and I got rid of my last one about 4 years ago :slight_smile:

Thanks again, looking forward to more when and if you have time :flower:

[QUOTE=pepst;2127750]Some more pictures of rare media:
Emtec CD-R Black Carbon (made in ???, MBI ATIP)
[/QUOTE]

Those are some NICE looking discs :bow:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2127287]Edit: Oh, oh…and two pieces of Maxell 12x DVD-RAM!! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]yeah i have 3 pieces of Maxell 12x DVD-RAM, 15 pieces of FujiFilm03, and 3 or 4 pieces of 4x 650MB CD-RW’s (under the brand name of Smart and Friendly):
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-RW
Manufacturer: : CMC Magnetics
MID : 97m26s65f
Write speeds: : 4 X
Capacity: : 75:00.00
: 659 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - D1 00 C6 00 61 1A 41 00 4B 00 00 00 02 4C B0 00 - …a.A.K…L…
0010 - 4A C2 06 00 00 00 00 00 - J…

Not sure if i would want to find anymore FujiFilm03’s…

Probably my rarest media…nothing special:

CMC MAG M01 that can score at 95% QS after being written at 18x or 20x [ish]

SONY08D1 made in Japan [not that easy to find, but probably easier than some other stuff]

MXL RG02 made in Japan [not that easy to find anymore]

MAXELL 002 made in Japan [see comment for the above…and I don’t think Maxell had as much +R as it did -R]

RITEKG03…2x media that whoops its 4x and 8x counterparts in all fields.

CMC MAG F01/AF1…not that anyone would want 4x CMC media, but it’s pretty nice, and I don’t see many people using it, so it’s sorta rare.

and my Sony 650MB 10x CD-RW made in Austria…don’t see that too often. :disagree:

[quote=Albert;2127895]MAXELL 002 made in Japan [see comment for the above…and I don’t think Maxell had as much +R as it did -R][/quote] I have some of those: 80+ Maxell DVD+R 8x Shiny Silver Thermal Printable :slight_smile:

CMC MAG F01/AF1…not that anyone would want 4x CMC media, but it’s pretty nice, and I don’t see many people using it, so it’s sorta rare.
Burned my last CMC MAG F01 media (Memorex branded) a long time ago.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2127901]I have some of those: 80+ Maxell DVD+R 8x Shiny Silver Thermal Printable :)[/QUOTE]Gee, just make me envious, why don’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding with you…but keep in mind I found all this stuff within the last year anda half shopping in real life, not over the Internet, and they’re all the normal, retail versions [not printable or anything fancy]. That’s gotta count for something. :bigsmile:

Burned my last CMC MAG F01 media (Memorex branded) a long time ago.
I refuse to burn mine…I might as well just burn the cruddy 16x stuff at 8x than overspeed the good 4x stuff to 12x/16x with better results. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s another CD from April 1999, again I am not sure how rare it is. Maxell branded XL CDs were very common, but this one was actually made by Hitachi Maxell. I don’t know when they stopped making their own CDs.

No case or label, but the top of the disc is printed gold and says -

Maxell CD-R74XL
CD Recordable 74Min 650MB
Writing Speed 1-2-4-6x Compatible

It has a Cyanine dye that is a lovely deep blue colour; much less green than other Cyanine dyes although not as blue as Verbatim AZO. But what makes it special is that it has very deep glossy quality that makes it seem deeper and darker than it actually is, a bit like a rewritable disc but with colour. Probably the most beautiful CD underside I have ever seen. The dye is such a strong colour that I can’t see if it is a gold or silver reflective layer.

Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Hitachi Maxell
MID : 97m25s22f
Capacity: : 74:30.00

This CD came with an Oregon Scientific electronic personal organizer and only has 29MB written on it. This disc is still fully readable and there are no visible dye defects. But has a very high C1 average (>89) and some C2 (E32) errors, and the CD Speed ScanDisc test rates half of the files at 50 out of 100.

So either the disc has aged badly or it was not good to begin with. Who would have thought that a Maxell made CD would be so comprehensively beaten by a slightly older, and damaged, CMC Magnetics.

I only scanned this disc with the Samsung SH-S202N rather than the Benq, so the C1 errors were probably significantly under reported. Mediatek DVD writers usually only report E31 errors, and most of the time this Samsung is no exception. But with CDs that have a higher number of C1 errors it seems to count more than just the E31 and the total it similar to the BLER reported by the Benq. :confused:

Sorry there are again no photographs, if someone is particularly interested in any of the CDs I will try and take some.

Thanks again Ibex (I love how much detail you put into the posts) :slight_smile: