The rarest/most obscure recordable medium

Made by MC Infonics Ireland Limited (MCII), Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation’s subsidiary.

Alright :+1:

The HP TS-l633N seems not suitable for a real statement about burn quality.

Here´s a scan of a Verbatim Type 0 (made in Ireland), burned @ Plextor Premium @16x:

An excellent burn. Those jitter spikes can randomly appear on BenQ drives and mostly aren’t real.

But I trust Benq much more than many MTK-based drives if scan CD-media

Scan of the same media using Pioneer BDR-209EBK

Quality scanning is just graphical presentation of the drive ability to read given media. In this case the 209EBK is not very happy reading this type of disc - it reports lots of errors and maximum speed in real life usage (copying to hdd) is much slower than TS-L633N. I’ve tried this disc in NEC ND2510a and in Optiarc 5xxx and always got maximum transfer speed.

Some other CD scans I’ve done using the TS-L633N:

Probably the results are not comparable to the Liteon or Benq reports but for me scans from this drive are very good real world quality indicator of given media.

My BDR 209 shows weird results on CDs too.
For faster reading you could try to disable the Quiet Mode.

http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html#DriveUtility

Just downloaded the Pioneer tool to see if some Quiet Mode is activated by default because I had the same transfer speed limit on brand new TY disc.

I will report back with new scan.

Update: Quiet Mode affects only transfer rate test - during quality test maximum speed is limited to 10x for CD and 6x for DVD. Results are the same. With Quiet Mode set to “performance” I’m able to reach the maximum transfer rate for this media.

The point is - high quality media recorded almost 20 years ago still not showing signs of serious degradation and remains fully readable on all drives I’ve tried.

Just bought:

Nice. I have the same SKU, but made by TDK!

1 Like

I was hoping for a batch of TY.
The surprise was this:
EAN: 4 902030 167097
Manufactur: TDK
ATIP: 97m 15s 00f - Colour example No. III (right)
Hubcode: C1|03UJ1514FS2 > decoded with CD2Date (aztekk): 2001
Stampercode: 80-0323A1

There are also TDK CD-Rs with ATIP = 97m 15s 01f (80min) and 97m 32s 01f with a dye colour very similar to that of TY with ATIP = 97m 24s 01f.

TDK seems produced many ATIP misprints.
I had TDK Reflex 8x CD-R80 with the “MPO”-ATIP 97m25s00f.
Otherwise all characteristics were like those with the correct ATIP 97m15s00f.

In his cyanine phase Ritek sometimes used CD-R74 ATIP-Codes (97m31s0xf) instead that from CD-R80 (97m15s1xf) and reverse.
Some manufacturers of CD-writers (as sample Cyberdrive CW-88/89/99) even built in this in their firmwares.
Here´s a sample of CD-R80 Type 1 with ATIP 97m31s01f.

TDK ATIPs are as follows:

63-minute:
97m 49s 00f: Gold or silver reflective layer with first-generation (dark blue) cyanine dye

74-minute:
97m 32s 00f: Gold or silver reflective layer with first-generation (dark blue) cyanine dye (Up to early 12X)
97m 32s 01f: Silver reflective layer with second-generation (light blue) cyanine dye (Late 12X/all 16X)
97m 32s 05f: Silver reflective layer with phthalocyanine dye

80-minute:
97m 15s 00f: Silver reflective layer with first-generation (dark blue) cyanine dye (late 8X/early 12X)
97m 15s 01f: Silver reflective layer with second-generation (light blue) cyanine dye (late 12X/all 16X)
97m 15s 05f: Silver reflective layer with phthalocyanine dye
97m 25s 00f: Silver reflective layer with first generation (dark blue) cyanine (early 8X)

Speed ratings are in relation to domestic (Japanese) products only.

I just missed out on these several days ago:

I honestly hope that someone on this forum bought them, as it would be an incredible waste to see these go to waste with someone who doesn’t know how valuable they are. These pre-date the Sony CDQ-74A product, the oldest Sony CD-R product I have!

Does the ATIP of your named batch by Taiyo Yuden or Sony?

They’re on the way. I was more than a little surprised to see a notification for a whole new box of them pop up right when I was checking other eBay stuff.

Taiyo Yuden, 97m 24s 00f.