The question is old like world, and I am sorry about it. But please help to make decision what DVDs to buy

vbimport

I know it was discussed many times here and placed are a lot of scans, but time goes on and products may change. I came to shop to buy DVD-s yesterday and …problem. I was chosing between Maxell DVD-R (made in China and made in Taiwan) and Verbatim DVD-R (made in India). Maybe you can recommand something else. Please help to make a decision.

You’re right: time goes on and products really changed, but even if recently produced media have a slightly lower quality compared to some discs produced in past years, basically the general situation didn’t change: Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden (TY) still are the very best quality discs available in the market.

I never trusted in Maxell media, except for TY of course, but I never was able to find these :doh:

So I suggest to buy Verbatim :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2558373]You’re right: time goes on and products really changed, but even if recently produced media have a slightly lower quality compared to some discs produced in past years, basically the general situation didn’t change: Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden (TY) still are the very best quality discs available in the market.

I never trusted in Maxell media, except for TY of course, but I never was able to find these :doh:

So I suggest to buy Verbatim :)[/QUOTE]

I would agree with the MODs as to the brand to use but as always that will depend alot on what brands are available in your area and what you can find. And as always how you burn and what speed and burner drive type and firmware and if your multitasking or no. So it not just the media type that matter but how you burn and the hardware you used that also factors into getting a clean working burn. I myself when burning keep the speed down and not multitask as the burning tends to take alot of computer resources to do it’s job and wait til that done before doing anything else. I used Windata (UME) and burn at 2-2.4x DL and haven’t had a problem but that is cause I optimized and registry modded my PC as well as control my config running files and alot more to make my PC do as I want. But that is the high end of going and that to me is to keep problem to a minimine and working good.

Thank you very much for answers!
As to burning speed, I was burning Verbatim disc about 2 weeks ago and Nero showed the disc was burning at speed 20x. Is it possible if DVD-R was just 16x? I would try another one just to check what was the burning speed again, but did not have any blank discs left…Next time for sure I will keep the speed down, thank you for advise.

Yep, some drives can burn 16x certified media also at higher speeds, but this is not always a good idea. Most of times, is better to burn at 12x, because there are very few discs with a so high quality to give good results (i.e. no coaster) when burned at a so high speed :slight_smile:

Hey there, yeah I know the feeling of wanting to get to the best media. I have used the Maxell’s made in China - It is a brand name you can trust. My batch had the Ritek F1 dye, which has very good compatability and longtivity. It certainly isin’t archival grade media, but it is very good as a brand. :slight_smile:
Verbatims are very good also, almost like Jesus compared to the God of optical media - Taito Yuden. Bare in mind although brand names can influence what people buy, buy optical media on the media code - i.e. Who made it.
Never EVER trust a brand that outsources their media. I did with a pack of Memorex CD-Rs because they were going cheap, and I got lucky that I got a a pack of Moser Boer’s. Avoid brands like Memorex, Bulkpaq (Don’t even get me started! :a ) and Rivision. Because they are, apparently, landfill media, the sort of media that is doomed in a month.
The best way to find out is to ask on this forum about what media is what, but as a rule of thumb, fork out more for more expensive brands like Verbatim, and you won’t go far wrong, and your data can be relied on these discs. My recommendations are Taito Yuden, and Verbatim. :slight_smile: