The purpose of scanning

Okay, the most newbie question ever:

What is the purpose of scanning?

I’ve used PlexTools a few times, and as far as my knowledge (knowledge being a relative term) goes, a big C2 spike or a CU error mean a disc is unreadable.

But, unless I completely misunderstand everything, it seems like there isn’t a concrete base for comparison between scan, because equipment and firmware are different, so could a disc that has a bad scan on one drive be okay on a different drive?

I’m lost…please help.

The purpose of scanning is to teach newbies that cheap/discount disc brands result in poor disc quality. :slight_smile:

Seriously, when you first start burning, you scan everything until you find out which programs, settings, and media work best with your burner. Then you always use those settings and forget about it.

You’re right, different units will produce different scans. And the amount/level of error spiking is no indication of how well a finished disc will play in different players on any given day.

The purpose of scanning is to have an idea about the quality of a burn.

If a burned disc contains a lot of errors, the disc is not easily readable, and actually some parts can be unreadable at all causing data loss, not really a good thing for a backup of important data.

Measuring the amount of errors on a burned disc, you can have a rather precise idea also about its durability in time. If a burned disc has a lot of errors, there is a high probability that the disc will become unreadable very fast.

Welcome to CDF, Jason :flower:

Comparing scans can give some idea of whether there’s been any deterioration of a disc also, if you scan the same disc(s) say 6 months apart.

I don’t think a scan tells the whole story though, real word testing (say in a picky standalone) and a Transfer Rate Test can also add to the overall picture.

Just MO. :wink:

Thanks for the input.

I’ve been using PlexTools as a pre-duplication test, trying to anticipate if/where there will be static or errors, and getting new master copies when there are too many C2 or CU errors.

My issue lately has been with masters that pass the scan with no C2 or CU errors, and C1 errors under 40, but the duplicated copies end up with skipping and noise that doesn’t play back with the master.

I’ve been using Taiyo Yuden discs, burning at 16x. Trying 8x to see if it helps.

Hi jasonwells, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

From your description, the problem is mostly likely caused in the duplication process.

Are you duplicating onto recordable CD-R media or duplicating to pressed CD-DA media?

I’ve been using Taiyo Yuden discs, burning at 16x. Trying 8x to see if it helps.
Is this for the master or is this for duplication?

Are you using a Plextor CD burner or a Plextor DVD burner? And what model?

Perhaps your burner combined with your system specs cannot reliably burn those TYs at 16X, because with the proper system and a great burner the TYs should have no issues, like you mentioned, even burned at 16X.

But sounds like a solid plan, to burn them at 8X and see if it makes a difference. If alls good, try bumping it up to 12X as well… :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the help, I’ve learned alot in the past 24 hours. :flower:

From your description, the problem is mostly likely caused in the duplication process.

Are you duplicating onto recordable CD-R media or duplicating to pressed CD-DA media?

Is this for the master or is this for duplication?

recordable CD-R’s for duplication. Alot of the masters I get are on whatever the mastering engineer for each project had around. There are two major recording schools in the area, and I’m not sure most of the students even consider the media they are burning their master to (I know I didn’t until I got into duplication.) I think many of them are used as napkins, frisbees, or chew toys at some point in the process.

Are you using a Plextor CD burner or a Plextor DVD burner? And what model?

I use a PX-760A for scans and single copies, and Microboards CopyWriter towers or an Otari CD-64-II for anything more than that.

The other suggestion that I’ve had is scan and copy the master using PlexTools, burn it to a TY disc, and use that copy as the duplication master.

You might want to invest in a Plextor Premium CD writer. I’ve been comparing the Premium 1 and 2 in this thread. I’m using various media at various speeds. Also with low speed recording and AMQR on and off.

Question. I have a LG GSA H42N burner. Does it mean I cannot scan ? I tried CDSpeed, the start button for Quality Scan are blank out. What are my options ? Thanks for your advice.

You can run a TRT = Transfer Rate Test and if you get a nice smooth arc it will be a good test.

There is a registry key that bans a few drives so the start button doesn’t work:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality
Remove the names under the “Blocked” key and the program will work fine for you…

For Samsung and Plextor drives but not for LG. Bad advise to give someone for LG drives :iagree: