The problem whit storing to dvd

Hi ive been reading alott of treads about the securety in storing ones files
im storing alot of videofiles like avi,mkv etc and ive becom almost deppresed
when i read that storing on a dvd is useless fore longlivety of the data

so am i right when i say that when a video file is burne to a disc the file will be alterd/damaged/corupt in time.so how long will it last?

and is ther a way to make sure that the data is safe on the disc and not alterd/corupted

in what way will the data be alterd/damaged on the dvd

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/isis/datastorage.html#writable

There are a number of studies in progress to answer these questions. The best anyone can do is use quality media and store in a cool, dark, low humidity environment.

I tend to store my files on DVD/CDR from 3 different manufacturers (or different MIDs at least).

Added to that, I have most of it backed up on my HDD. It’s not foolproof by any means, but it’s saved my butt a couple of times. :wink:

Apart from the above, which is preference, I agree with chas. :slight_smile:

pretty much anything dies with time, whether it be a living thing, a piece of glass, paper etc.

Most good quality DVDs will last long enough until the next few types of media become available. For example, blu ray is pretty much coming out and alot of us have CD-Rs which still work perfectly.

You’ve got nothing to worry about, buy some verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and burn away :slight_smile: