The printer CD that wouldn't work

vbimport

One my neighbours called me asking for help to set up their new printer, so I figured I’ll take a quick run over.

Their daughter tried following the instructions, but got stuck at the step saying to insert the disc and follow the instructions. She said the disc would not work and tried to load it several times and figured it must be for the American model.

I do understand that many laptops no longer have a DVD drive, so I thought this must be their problem or they probably denied a Windows UAC prompt. I was also surprised their Canon printer “Quick Guide” did not show how to download the software as an alternative.

Their laptop did have a drive, so I put the disc in and followed the steps that appeared, i.e. just click ‘Agree’ or ‘Next’ and so on a few times until it completed. A quick test print and it printed just fine.

So I asked them what happened when they tried the disc and the daughter said - I put it in my DVD player and it would not play, saying she thought it must be a US region disc. I asked what DVD player and she said it was the one in the living room. :smiley:

:bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

Thanks Seán, I will never stop being amused by pebcac solutions, but this was way more fun than the avarage.

Nothing like a good laugh in the morning :flower:

Heh heh heh… I like that one! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Good one Sean :bigsmile:

My mom when we gave her a pc to use didn’t even understand how to use or move the mouse.
Of course she had never used a pc or played a video game so it all new unknown territory for her.
Once she figured it out she really liked solitaire. I also got her a Logitech 880 remote becuase she and step dad could never remember what button or input to use to make something happen. Then she’d get the remote and a/v setup so out of whack by just pushing buttons when something didn’t work.
Once we got her understanding the help function she is good to go till something gets changed.
Some folks just don’t have a clue and it isn’t always their fault, they used to call it future shock, maybe still do for folks that grew up without all the tech toys most of us know and use.

Dit she really expect a movie would play on her tv where some hollywood star would exclaim her printer is now working perfectly? :bigsmile:

The DVD player will probably print just fine now to the Canon printer; the challenge is finding the Print button on the remote! :cool:

It seems like they were expecting the “DVD” to have a demonstration of the printer’s features, how to use it and so on, since they didn’t have a clue how to print anything.

Once I showed them how to print in Word, they asked how to print photos from an iPhone… :doh:

In the end, I compared the high cost of printing photos on the printer to printing at the chemist and that seemed fine as I just couldn’t imagine trying to explain about buying photo paper, how to sync photos from an iPhone, set up the printing software for glossy 4x6 prints and so on.

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to bundle a tutorial DVD with printers. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2763884]It seems like they were expecting the “DVD” to have a demonstration of the printer’s features, how to use it and so on, since they didn’t have a clue how to print anything.

Once I showed them how to print in Word, they asked how to print photos from an iPhone… :doh:

In the end, I compared the high cost of printing photos on the printer to printing at the chemist and that seemed fine as I just couldn’t imagine trying to explain about buying photo paper, how to sync photos from an iPhone, set up the printing software for glossy 4x6 prints and so on.

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to bundle a tutorial DVD with printers. :)[/QUOTE]

Some pebcac people are priceless - what bad attitude, not investing the four weeks needed for the explanation… shame on you!

This means that DVD player in the living room isn’t working!

It should have popped a message " This is not an audio dvd, stoopid!"

Well, if it’s a wireless Canon printer, you might actually get that to work.

The files are in the computer…

//youtu.be/Sj5HdGjvXcE