The plot thickens in the Sony Verbatim substitution story

vbimport

I just posted the article The plot thickens in the Sony Verbatim substitution story.

lanky used our news submit to tell us "Although he says he was wrong, he doesn't appologise, what  manners. Anyway, read the full story and comments for a  laugh."                    The other...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11866-The-plot-thickens-in-the-Sony-Verbatim-substitution-story.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11866-The-plot-thickens-in-the-Sony-Verbatim-substitution-story.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m not sure Mr Ulanoff deserves to be called a “professional” reporter and according to other people who also were there the difference was “instantly noticeable”. But of course, if you’re drunk it might be hard to see… :B

I am more concerned about the piracy act SONY comitted by copying that disc!:S

Sounds like BS. Why would Sony have to use a DVD+R of the movie? Could they not get a real copy…like perhaps the one they copied? Then again, there’s on reason why the DVD+R couldn’t have contained a Blu-Ray quality movie…not the whole movie, of course, but part of one.

They were probably using the +R for the same reason we do, so the original does not get lost or damaged. Also, I wonder what “illegal” software they used to make the back up.

Another reason why they may have used a DVD+R instead of the original DVD is to downgrade the visuals of the movie to make BlueRay version look better when compared. To put the movie onto a single layer DVD+R, they must have reduced the bitrate about 25-50%. That would reduce quality and make the BlueRay look better when shown side by side. Also, they own the copyrights to the movie so it wouldn’t be illegal for them to copy it onto a DVD+R. I’m also certain they have the master image of the movie which includes no copy protection so they can duplicate it without using decss software to rip.

Maybe they were using a DVD+R copy of the movie for the same reason many other people copy their discs - so that they won’t have to go through FBI warnings, intros, menus and a bunch of other time wasting excercises in order to get the actual movie to play?!
[edited by DrageMester on 19.05.2006 12:40]

As long as not anyone has a 30 inch display capable of 1080i no one will notice any difference. A 17 inch screen is not big enough to make any real difference when watching a movie. Surely you can see the difference if you are checking for that but just watching a movie for fun will not give BR any advantage.

As long as the 17inch screen is capable of full HD resolution (1920x1200) you would be able to tell a BIG difference. I dunno if you’re into games but playing games at 720x480 vs 1280x1028 makes a huge difference in details. I would imagine it would even be a bigger difference between Full HD and DVD resolution, specially during still or low motion scenes.

Actually I agree with Arrow. It’s quite possible that 17" screen just isn’t good enough to show the deffirence even if it’s UWXGA one - the physical dimensions are still the same 17". There will be differences if you look hard, but at a glance you surely won’t be able to tell the difference.

Does everybody miss the obvious point? The DVD+R disc inthe drive didn’t have an EXACT copy of the movie - at best, it had a DVDShrink version, or worse an intentionally degraded version of the movie. The fact that it wasn’t the “real” DVD should have set off warning bells. Sony does it again, scamming the press with ease.

Also the video card in the laptop can actually make it harder to tell the difference between a DVD and HD content. A very good video card/encoder combination can make a standard DVD look very good.

What is the difference between an unsuspecting observer and a professional reporter? Well I suppose an unsuspecting observer might have an IQ greater than zero.:wink:

That DVD+R was probably compressed while the other laptop had the original DVD movie and not an HD movie. HAHAHA how funny would that be. Scary part is I wouldn’t put it past Sony to pull a stunt like that.

this is a wide screen 17", which is more like a 19 inch 5:4 LCD that I think many of us are using. I have to agree with SiC more since I can always see the difference in 2 seconds whether I’m playing games or watching QuickTime trailers of SD and HD resolution. Each pixel on the XBRITE LCD is much smaller then a regular LCD.

I’m not a “professional” but a “regular” home user. I have a 50" Sony HDTV (720p) LCD and an upconverting DVD with HDMI output. When I play a DVD, especially new ones (or “collector” editions of old movies) it’s very hard to see any difference between HD quality and the DVD quality. I don’t see any reason to move to any type of HD…

Why were they using a Verbatim instead of a Sony? What reason for that one SONY?:d

It’s an absolute scam!, SONY is hiding the truth as usual! The dumb press, have been sucked in totally and absolutely, like the bunch of mindless sheep they are, for the laptop screens are far to small, to make an adequate comparison! And to think only one man!, in the entire line up had an enquiring mind to look beyond the obvious, and was prepared to investigate further, show just how much the press reporters of today are so weak minded as to be corporate propaganda lapdogs!:frowning:

Dudes, we are talking about VAIO notebook screens. They have some of the nicest looking screens of any laptop, and at 17" they are going to show a huge difference to the trained eye and a noticable difference to a common viewer. Also, House of Flying Daggers fits uncompressed on a DVD-5, like many DVDs out there, the movie itself can fit on a DVD+R without being shrunk…

I have another thought on this subject… Is anyone actually certain that the DVD+R in question actually contained the entire movie or merely a clip from it? There is absolutely nothing preventing Sony from having stored a segment of the movie at Blue-Ray data rates on a DVD+R and then demonstrated it. The only real difference between DVD and Blue Ray is storage and the bit rate the video is encoded at. This demo could have been a 100% real demonstration of Blue-Ray video quality and STILL been burned on a DVD+R.