The Philips DVDRW416K Experiment

Hi there readers ,

As you might have guessed from the subject , i am the no-so-proud owner of a Philips DVDRW416K DVD+R(W) 4 speed DVD writer.

Because this writer has the crappiest media-compatibility list i have ever seen , i decided to transform it into a Nec 1300A with some hacked firmware.

Why ?

Because i purchased 100 Ritek 4 speed DVD+R’s , which i was only able to write on 2.8 speed. And that sucks.

How ?

First of all , i needed a flashtool to write the firmware with.
This flashtool can be found here.

Then i needed a hacked firmware , which transformed my DVDRW416K (A rebadged Nec 1100A) into a Nec 1300A.
I used this hacked firmware for this.

And then ?

Then i made a nice bootdisk (Every Windows XP can do this for you) , put both the flashtool and binary fimrware on it and booted my system with it.

Backup old firmware ?

Of course. First extract the original firmware to OLD.BIN and then flash it with the other one.

Success ?

Yes. The DVDRW416K now thinks it’s a NEC 1300A and Nero supports it.

Media compatibility ?

Sure. Every damn media is supported at the moment. I should even be able to write DVD-R(W)'s with it. :eek:

The first experiment was to try to write the Ritek 4x DVD+R at 4 speed. The writing was succesful , but when verifying it , Nero reported two reading errors. (Two vob files could not be read).

The sedond experiment was to try to write the Ritek 4x DVD+R at 2.4 speed. Both writing and verify was succesful.

Later on i will try more tests.

If you have any comments , please let me know.

Thanks go out to RPC1.ORG

Ah another member of the NEC1300a posse. Welcome :).

Some things I’d like to know:

• Where did you get this Ritek media? Are these perhaps the Ritek R02 discs from the CD Freaks media shop?
  • Can you perhaps scan the discs with DVDInfoPro (www.dvdinfopro.com)?

One thing I’d like to add: keep an eye on Herrie’s website for firmware updates!

• Where did you get this Ritek media? Are these perhaps the Ritek R02 discs from the CD Freaks media shop?

They are from the cdfreaks shop , but i think they were R04 discs.

Sure , i’ll try this when i get home.

One thing I’d like to add: keep an eye on Herrie’s website for firmware updates!

Actually no. I got the firmware from Etna’s page. Herrie’s website isn’t really userfriendly :slight_smile:

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK R02
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name COWBOYBEBOP3
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 3/ 3/2004 23:06:19
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22E21Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Thanx!

Now all I still am wondering about, is a quality scan… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Thanx!

Now all I still am wondering about, is a quality scan… :slight_smile: [/B]

You’re not easily satisfied , are you ?
I’m doing a reading test right now so please be a little patient :slight_smile:

Haha well now I am satisfied. Thanx! I can’t wait till I get my discs (that will be next monday) so I can use my NEC1300a once again.

This scan was of a disc burned at 2.4 speed I presume?

Nope 4 speed DVD+R

I tried writing a Pioneer DVD-R with it as well. Although the writing went without a flaw , the verify told me that one VOB file could not be read.

After popping in the disc in my other system and try to play the movie , i got 1 frame , 30 seconds of nothing , next frame , 30 seconds of nothing , next frame.

Seems it’s not good at writing DVD- :slight_smile:

I’ve also come to the conclusion it’s better to have the VOB’s stored on a local drive , rather than a remote. When the Buffer Underrun Protection kicks in on the writer, the quality degenerates dramatically.

How do I use the flash tool?
I can’t work it out myself :confused:

The NEC 1100 to 1300 hack has limited success.

I believe these drives are what Maplin (UK) are selling for £29.99 - so even if the -R hack is pretty much useless, getting better 1100 firmware into them would be a start, especially if Philips have abandoned it.