The perpetual motion

According to a news published at DailyTech, it seems that a team of researchers was able to create the perpetual motion… for 10 seconds :stuck_out_tongue:

linky linky :bigsmile:

Nice!:clap:

News of the Day: Scientists claim to have successfully changed the meaning of the word “perpetual”; this is expected to have far reaching implications within science, politics and everyday life. :stuck_out_tongue:

Better that than a perpetual sneeze.

Scott me up, Beamy!

Err … now the thing is … if you can turn matter into energy & energy into matter … this has serious implications for Christianity.

Think about it … you convert someone to energy, transmit them somewhere else … and then convert the energy back to a working human being …

If it works, that means there is no soul, because it would be left behind after the physical being is converted to energy, and therefore heaven & hell can be considered completely fictitous.

Oh woe is me. … stupid people will once again be wandering the earth unhindered by morality, and more to the point, religion.

[quote=debro;1946231]Scott me up, Beamy!

Err … now the thing is … if you can turn matter into energy & energy into matter … this has serious implications for Christianity.

Think about it … you convert someone to energy, transmit them somewhere else … and then convert the energy back to a working human being …

If it works, that means there is no soul, because it would be left behind after the physical being is converted to energy, and therefore heaven & hell can be considered completely fictitous.

Oh woe is me. … stupid people will once again be wandering the earth unhindered by morality, and more to the point, religion.[/quote]
YAY!!! …I mean, boo!!! Wait, what? I’m confused. Do we want people unhindered? Cause when they are on lockdown, they do some pretty stupid stuff…

[QUOTE=debro;1946231]Oh woe is me. … stupid people will once again be wandering the earth unhindered by morality, and more to the point, religion.[/QUOTE] No they won’t. There’s still plenty of religion going on on any Star Trek episode.

I do not get it how can they say something is perpetual when it lasted only a 10 seconds

: indefinitely long-continued
occurring continually : indefinitely long-continued

[quote=samlar;1946509]I do not get it how can they say something is perpetual when it lasted only a 10 seconds[/quote] See post #3 :smiley:

[quote=samlar;1946509]I do not get it how can they say something is perpetual when it lasted only a 10 seconds

: indefinitely long-continued
occurring continually : indefinitely long-continued[/quote]

It was in a state of perpetual motion for 10 seconds, meaning that for those 10 seconds it could have just continued going but only if conditions remained correct. In other words, if they could keep those conditions stable it would work indefinitely.