The once popular cassette tapes are finally nearing their end

I just posted the article The once popular cassette tapes are finally nearing their end.

Just as  the Vinyl Record has pretty much died off in the mid 90's, the end of the  cassette tape is coming close.  So far cassette tapes have been in use  since their perfection by Philips...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10456-The-once-popular-cassette-tapes-are-finally-nearing-their-end.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10456-The-once-popular-cassette-tapes-are-finally-nearing-their-end.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It was fun in the end of 80’s and beginning of 90’s to mess with tape. In that time first was possible to get CD in Soviet Union. Damn expensive was music CD. So it was taped maybe 100 or more times…

A funny bit from the article: --------- New York music writer Joel Keller laments that personal computers have killed the mix tape star, and that the “drag and burn” method of creating compilation CDs is simply “less fun.” “I liked it when I sat in front of my stereo, my tape deck, with a big pile of CDs, deciding on the fly which songs to put in what order,” he said. “My play and record fingers got a little sore because I had to time it right. Listening to the song as it played, finding the levels - it seemed like more of a labour of love than it is it do CDs now.” ------------- Cleary the guy is nuts :B There’s no stopping him doing that now if he wants to re-live the glory days. :wink:

I got my first tape deck in the late 60s. It was a Sony portable and it had two add-on portable speakers. It lived n my bedroom and on occasion was connected ot the family stereo. I graduated to a Teac before I reached the age of 14 after quickly learning the art of making my own tapes. That kicked off a serious love affair with audio that persists to this day. The main thing behind tapes was portability. They also drove me to buy vinyl because tape quality, despite the more exotic hardware offerings I gravitated to in later years, was still not as good as the original. Tapes spurred (at last count) some $70K in record purchases down through the years. Yes, that’s right: Seventy Thousand Dollars. The greedy thieving bastards who run the music industry should take note of that. For all their DRM filth, copy protection rape of consumer rights and lawsuits which, let’s face it, are essentially legalized extortion and strong-arming, it was a FREE and OPEN format that made them the prosperous force they are today. I urge each and every one of you to consider this the next time you get the urge to download from iTunes, buy a copy protected CD or one that installs software quietly on your system which strangles your right to do what you see fit with what you have paid for. They have spit in your face. Make sure you spit their own excrement back in theirs.

"“I liked it when I sat in front of my stereo, my tape deck, with a big pile of CDs, deciding on the fly which songs to put in what order,” he said. " Hey, I still do this except that now I do it with my M-Audio Revolution, my Monsoon Planar Media 14s and various software tools such as MAD Frontend, Goldwave, Monkey’s Audio, FLAC Frontend, CDex and Nero. Same mindset, different tools. The boy needs to take a lesson.

Roj, $70,000 / 45yrs = $1,555 per year $1,555 / 12 months = $129 per month I would have never thought it could have added up that fast. And iirc when I was a kid in the 80s tapes were pretty cheap, well under $10, so I’m guessing they were only $2 or $3 in the 60s, wow, I can’t even imagine the number of tapes you bought, sounds like… ALL OF THEM :stuck_out_tongue: As a true audofanatic I don’t blame you for buying everything on Vinyl for your home listening and duping to tape to for portability.
[edited by Rhelic on 21.06.2005 21:29]

I remember vinyl record albums (“33’s”, “Records”, “Albums”) being us $ 4.99 - and that seemed expensive. Then when CDs came out at more than twice the price, they said this was only until R&D costs were recouped and then they’d be as cheap as records and tapes. Well, record and tape prices went up a bit, but the price gap never closed even though CDs became much cheaper to produce than records or tapes… (Geez, I finally got a decent tape deck with Dolby C and HX pro and just a few years later, CD writers became affordable. I know I’m jaded now because I saw a high-end Sony tape deck with Dolby S and DBX for $20 recently and I was barely even tempted)