The OLED's are coming

vbimport

LG is first (beating out Samsung) and is accepting orders for a 55" model

The price tag? a bit more than $10,000

http://www.lg.com/us/oled-tv/index.jsp?cmpid=he_tv_ces2013_sem_us_lg%20oled

I think I’ll need to save up a bit, either that or remortgage the house. :slight_smile:

They should come down in price pretty rapidly though if all the hype the manufacturers gave originally is true.

Isn’t it amazing how thin they are though. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I am waiting for the TV that will allow me to reach into it and take the actress I want out of the TV into my bedroom. I would have to not let my wife know you could do that with the TV or she would watch a Harrison Ford movie and pull him out.

The real promise of the technology is several factors
the eventual lower retail prices from lower production costs,
lower power consumption

improved contrast, hey to make good black nothing works better than darkness:)

The way I look at it: “A fool and his money soon part”.
Yet, I am not claiming myself particularly the opposite of a fool…
As I like to buy stuff too but…some of us, myself included like to think
we are getting a decent deal of a price on goods.
Hey, maybe it is worth the 10 grand…but ain’t no way I am going to pay that much for a tv…likely the common joe out there isn’t either.
The price on oled will have to get down under the 1500 mark before most will even consider it, imo.

Hey, if it weren’t for the foolishness of the monetarily blessed "early adopters"
much of the inexpensive technology we use daily would never have become “inexpensive”

We all benefit from the actions of fools.

The difference is if you are aware of it.

It has always been that way

You know the PC saying, those on the cutting edge bleed a lot. The early adopters will get to pay to play and be first and slowly the price will come down as they feel like they’ve recovered their costs and the develop better ways to make them cheaper.
I was given a 42" LED Sony for Christmas, and considering the normal tech it uses with nothing special added I’m surprised how good the black levels and viewing angle actually is. I can live with it and it’s quite nice looking and watchable and I would have preferred a local dimming or a plasma if I was buying it myself. I hope the prices come down quickly and we all can get OLED goodness with it’s excellent black levels and viewing angles and things.
I came from a 34" CRT set that had pretty much excellent everything, just small and HEAVY so always looking for something affordable that can match the quality that set provided. For 10k it’s going to be a long wait for most of us to buy one of those new sets.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2672734]You know the PC saying, those on the cutting edge bleed a lot. The early adopters will get to pay to play and be first and slowly the price will come down as they feel like they’ve recovered their costs and the develop better ways to make them cheaper.
I was given a 42" LED Sony for Christmas, and considering the normal tech it uses with nothing special added I’m surprised how good the black levels and viewing angle actually is. I can live with it and it’s quite nice looking and watchable and I would have preferred a local dimming or a plasma if I was buying it myself. I hope the prices come down quickly and we all can get OLED goodness with it’s excellent black levels and viewing angles and things.
I came from a 34" CRT set that had pretty much excellent everything, just small and HEAVY so always looking for something affordable that can match the quality that set provided. For 10k it’s going to be a long wait for most of us to buy one of those new sets.[/QUOTE]

The TV I watch most is a 36" Sony CRT.
It is indeed a heavy bastard.

I have stated to several friends about how I intend to get it out of where it is when I get any kind of flat replacement.

In it’s current location it’s 48" off of the floor…
(Hint: Gravity and picking up the resulting pieces will be involved)

My lil sister gave my mom their 36" Sony HDTV when they upgraded to their first projection set. Beautiful picture but weighed 280 pounds and the CRT was shot too shortly after they got it. I luckily used to work on TV’s as a money making hobby and have a few Beltron CRT rejuvinators and was able to clean and rejuvenate it back to good for about a year. The second try the guns shorted out and it was done:(
I remember looking at the Sony HFX? 960 widescreen sets but they were so much extra money I went with my Toshiba 34HFX84 Cinema Series set instead. Last of the USA made Toshiba’s and a lightweight at a mere 160lbs, still looks great but small compared to the new set and I noticed the greyscale has drifted out now that I have a new set to compare it too.
Probably eventually move the monster into my bedroom seeing how it still works fine and nobody wants one of these now anyways.

The one thing I don’t think lcd does as well is crt is fast motion without “trails”.
Well, that’s not the only thing but lcd is improved over earlier generations.
I was late in the high def. game myself and used crt up to a few years back.

Yeah, fast motion sucks a bit for sure but all my PC monitors are 23" LCD now, one is a nice IPS/LED and the other is a TN but a fairly good one so happy enough and they excel at very sharp crisp text which seems to be what I look at most of the time, like now. I used to have top line 21" CRT monitors and I miss the black levels and being able to set a game at any res and still look great but they are lighter and draw a bunch less power and put out less heat.
It’s all a tradeoff and I can live with the faults for the good points but really want something that can combine the best of both. The hard part is finding one you can live with, or sticking with older but perfected monitors/TV’s
In fact I now use a IPS/LED 7" tablet, has a great picture, crisp text, and I can do most simple things without firing up the big PC and burning a bunch of juice.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2672766]The one thing I don’t think lcd does as well is crt is fast motion without “trails”.
[/QUOTE]

True, and it’s very much more noticeable on budget sets.

The motion handling on higher quality models is pretty good these days although this is something OLED should be able to improve on as it’s capable of very much faster response times.

[B]Wombler[/B]