The Number One Thing That Scares The Hell Out Of Me

vbimport

People who have jobs that pay them enough money to afford really expensive electronic equipment, but then those same people being too lazy or ignorant to figure out how to use that equipment, so they end up posting cries for help on MyCE, often having never even bothered to read their instruction manuals. :eek:

If these people exhibit such poor mental character in regards to the operation of something they enjoy, imagine how scarily awful they must be in the performance of their jobs. And I’ll bet a lot of them are managers or vice presidents of some sort or another. :eek:

We should implement competency and laziness tests as a requirement for owning consumer electronics. If you don’t pass, you can’t buy it. This would be the kind of test that would NOT be about geek or nerd elitism, but about teaching people that if they can spend $5,000 on a TV or $1,000 on a camera, they ought to put some EFFORT in learning how to use it, and not expect others to be their tech butlers and maids. :cop:

We shouldn’t say stuff like that about OUR members. I know howyou feel, I’m the same way about people that are to stupid to pump gas into their cars. If they are that dumb they are to dumb to be driving.:bigsmile:

You know, if everyone knew everything about PC’s and CE, then there would be no need for places like MyCE. People would never need to ask questions, as they would already have worked it out for themselves.

Some folks just don’t have, and will never have, the aptitude for anything technical, it’s just the way they are. Places like MyCE exist because some people need help with things that are technical in nature, and members here have a lot of pride in being able to share our collective knowledge. Most of us also enjoy sharing that knowledge. It is what has made this site more than just a place to get help, it’s built this site into a community.

Yeah, I think both staff and members at this forum, many of whom enjoy helping people out, would find themselves pretty bored.

Indeed, as Dee suggested, wouldn’t MyCE be a boring place if we all knew everything there was to know about CE products?

I certainly don’t know as much as I’d like - but I learn a lot from the help given to others, just by reading threads/posts and taking stuff onboard. :slight_smile:

Also. Take someone like my mum: knew next to nothing when she got her first PC, but has so much more knowledge now - all through asking myself, or reading the MyCE forums (though I’ve not got her to sign up…yet).

It still helps if they at least read the manual.Then they can maybe understand some of the help instructions they are getting.
The Number One Thing That Scares The Hell Out Of Me ;
Is people that try to drive & operate a cell phone.
Except for the one guy I passed while he was looking sideways at his laptop instead of the road.
If I find someone is really dumb I try to be more instead of less help.

[QUOTE=cholla;2474795]
[/QUOTE]

Hell YES :eek:

[QUOTE=cholla;2474795]It still helps if they at least read the manual.Then they can maybe understand some of the help instructions they are getting.
[B][I][U]Except for the one guy I passed while he was looking sideways at his laptop instead of the road.[/U][/I][/B]
If I find someone is really dumb I try to be more instead of less help.[/QUOTE]

Have you been stalking me?:stuck_out_tongue:

Ignorant users don’t scare me in the slightest. People have been having problems dealing with changing technology since the dawn of the Machine Age.

Now, Dee and Arachne…oh yeah, they have their bluff in on me! Besides, the fluffy one is armed. :eek:

:smiley:

Only thing that scares hell outta me, is that someone will get in power that will implement competency tests or any other kind of tests that will stop anyone from excercising thier personal freedoms.

[I]* MissMew with her turbo-whip in a dark alley is a close second though[/I]

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2474782]We shouldn’t say stuff like that about OUR members.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, but I thought it was OK to post the occassional rant here in the living room to let off steam. Of course, I went right back to helping anybody and everyone I could after I finished posting this. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=cholla;2474795]It still helps if they at least read the manual. Then they can maybe understand some of the help instructions they are getting.[/QUOTE]

That was exactly my point. Folks don’t even have the most basic and rudimentary understanding of the products they’re purchasing. They want us to explain things that the manual was written for. Helping with a technical glitch is one thing, but questions that are the equivalent of “how do I turn this on?” is another. :doh:

If only the promise of ‘computers as appliances’ was true. Last I looked there wasn’t a ‘Popular Dishwasher’ magazine, but still hundreds of Computer mags…

My mom and step dad are just old enough that all this tech crap blew right by them and they are completely lost around it.
I used to constantly get calls about one of them not being able to get the DVD movie to play, or the TV to turn on, or how to move the mouse and make something happen on the computer screen.
I bought them a logitech 880 remote and programed it for all their stuff and most of the calls stopped after that. Mom still managed to push so many buttons on the remote one day that she completely lost the TV or whatever she was trying to control till I finally told her about the help button after loosing it about having a remote even a idiot could use…:doh:

So what’s your solution? Have them submit a notarized financial statement before advice is offered?
Most people aren’t the least bit interested in knowing the intimate details and sure as hell don’t want to read the manuals…It’s so much easier to get immediate gratification and go on with their lives…I’ll bet most can’t even find their manuals and even if they could, wouldn’t be able to understand it anyway…

Ah, the joys of the laymen in the expert’s vicinity… don’t i know all about it. It will however never ever end and the best the expert can do is either refuse or go with the flow.

About fifteen years ago i gradually lost contact with almost all my family and friends. The reason: I stopped giving them free technical support at their convenience. I’ve had IT requests at weddings, christmas dinners, birthdays and even funerals. When i got angry about it, they never contacted ever again. So much for family.

At the moment all social contact is gradually restored, much thanks to my wife and our little daughter, but still sometimes this cousin or uncle will ask for technical support but nowadays i just say no, ask them to ask this again at a convienient time for me, or ask a very generous amount of money for my expertise.

At the internet it’s different. I still like to help people with their technical problems, but on my terms. I choose which topic to open and what to respond. I hate it when people don’t think for themselves, but i’ve learned to accept that sometimes people just don’t care.

It should work, it doesn’t, they need it now and they have a problem now and need help asap. If i offer advice and they get angry about it, it’s their loss, not mine. If i refuse to help them further, that’s my choice and they can get all angry about it, but i really don’t care.

There’s another reason why some technical devices aren’t easy: They aren’t designed for easiness. There is a lot of money in consultancy and half-expertise. I’ve seen SAP consultants talking jibberish to impressed clients. I’ve seen people accepting HDMI as if it were a new flavor, no clue what it is, but “it looked so nice in the store”. I’ve seen people accepting bittorrent as a download system for free movies without knowing what the hell the thing is doing on your system. People who don’t use the very expensive satnav in their cars because they haven’t a clue which button to press. I’ve seen it all and i’m not even surprised at it. People don’t want complex processes, even if they own a very complex device.

The only thing that scares me most is [B]stupidity[/B], because it is highly contagious.

[QUOTE=vroom;2475004]The only thing that scares me most is [B]stupidity[/B], because it is highly contagious.[/QUOTE] And it’s impossible to cure (unlike mere ignorance). :doh:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2475019]And it’s impossible to cure (unlike mere ignorance). :doh:[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

What scares me? Sister no.2 coming back from Australia on Christmas Day.:a The last 15 months without her have been one long holiday for all the family, but we couldn’t pursuade them to keep her for a second year.:sad:

[EDIT]
What scares me now is what will happen if she ever discovers CDFreaks and reads this.:eek::doh:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2475113]What scares me? Sister no.2 coming back from Australia on Christmas Day.:a The last 15 months without her have been one long holiday for all the family, but we couldn’t pursuade them to keep her for a second year.:sad:

[EDIT]
What scares me now is what will happen if she ever discovers CDFreaks and reads this.:eek::doh:[/QUOTE]
All the airlines are striking … she might be very delayed …
and judging by the way airlines are handling this … it might be next xmas :stuck_out_tongue:

What scares me is:

1. The USA floundering as the world leader, and China becoming the major economic power. Business Ethics in china is … very different … according to accounts of friends that have had the thrill of conducting ongoing business in China. Business is easy and generally results in no more business … [I]Ongoing [/I]business apparently requires some redefining of their business ethics.

2. The impending oil crisis. They’ll still be arguing about carbon emissions & $$$ for 3rd world countries in copenhagen in 10years time when the world runs out of oil - We’ve got Lawyers, Politicians & over-inflated Ego’s running amok.
    For those of us that are rational, it’s quite easy -> While they’re arguing about the current garbage, developed countries should be working towards banning incandescent light globes worldwide, and preferably halogens too which are twice as efficient as traditional incandescent but still 1/5 the efficiency of compact fluorescents, and stop installing additional fossil fuel generation capacity - this will increase demand for renewable generation, and bulk manufacture will result in economies of scale price reductions. Increase uptake of energy saving technologies (insulation, fan’s [instead of, or in addition to A/C], double glazed windows, tinted windows, better insulating building materials, solarcells on windows) by mandatory energy standards for new building, and propose energy efficiency options for older buildings - mandatory maintenance of energy consuming devices. All new vehicles (in developed countries) should be Hybrid Vehicles (not electric only), 3rd world countries should be getting vehicles with smaller engines, and possibly hybrids.

3. The impending ice-age. Rug Up!

1. I’m 46 yrs. old & still scare the hell out of myself by watching “The Exorcist”. (Halloween ritual.)
  2. The fact that the TV commercial that starts: “Pioneers, oh pioneers…” will probably air 1000 more times this week.
  3. The people on these forums that post Maxell brand media as “Maxwell”. You know who you are!
  4. The thought that NBC would even THINK about canceling “The Office”. (Relax! There are no rumors that I’m aware of.)
  5. The fact that I use parentheses in almost everything I post.
  6. The thought of my old work van, which hasn’t had reverse for over a year, will eventually die.
  7. The fact that that I can’t even follow the rules: The Number ONE Thing That Scares The Hell Out Of Me.