The new Qt versions

I have not posted anything on DVDFab since last year. Just reading the posts others have written. I don’t know about the rest of you, but the new Qt versions are not getting the job done. Seems everyone is having trouble with them. I thing they are trying to do too many things with one program, like a jack knife and none work. Looks like they are going backwards to me. I have not tried any of the Qt versions, but last night I thought I would give one a try. I installed 8092Qt, the latest one non Beta. I should have not done that. I tried to backup the movie No Strings Attached. It could not even read the DVD, got an error. I read on the “other” fourm where someone said use version 8085 (which is non Qt) to back it up, and it worked. So where are they going with this new Qt stuff that will not work. I would like to hear from other DVDFab users on this new stuff.

Thanks

A few members said a while back that they are trying to load to much in the program and messing it up and I have to agree, QT and my XP just don’t get along at all so I deleted it and will keep using 8.0.8.5 as long as I can. It has been a week now and they haven’t done a thing towards fixing it for the people with XP

I’m running XP also. Earlier versions of QT worked fine, but the latest version does not want to recognize blank media. I’ve tried it on a few different computers and the results are always the same.

ok…
Just installed Qt version on 64 bit Win7 Laptop.
all went well… lightning fast install I must say.
[version at top sez 8092 but no QT… does this matter??

Anyways,
total washout when I try to install to XP SP3…

won’t open and a bitch to un-install…
some files stay open so when you go to uninstall it will say,"dvdFab.exe
istrying to close… please close and try again…rouge files at large I guess.

then you have to go into system properties and shut it down by closing application…that way it will remove Fab…
Posted this XP problem in other post so it may help someone whose Qt install goes postal !!!

rago88 What I did was install 8.0.8.9 QT over top of 8.0.9.2 QT then the uninstaller would work and remove it then you can delete the folder 8QT

Thank you all for the warnings! I am running XP SP3 & have not installed any of the QT’s due to this forum. Thanks again!!!

Fengtao, can you revert to the old style so us XP folks don’t get left out? It’s unlikely I will ever “upgrade” to a higher MS OS, current plan is to go Linux in 2014 as MS products keep getting worse

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I checked this out…when clicking on the dowload link I saw the “QT” extension and also the 17MB+ plus size, big growth.

Anyway, I have XP Pro SP3 on my PC…have other new PCs w/W7 but this media PC will stay “as-is” with XP.

Dumb question here…what is “QT” mean ?

Has anyone got any ideas on what to use to backup movies we own when the non QT versions will not work and that is all that is out there. I’m useing Vista and 7 and had problems with the QT versions and went back to 8085. I do wish the owners of this program would get them back to the older way which worked well or a lot better that the QT versions with the jack of all trades and are getting to big and messed up. I don’t thank they hear us.

[QUOTE=camper913;2590150]Has anyone got any ideas on what to use to backup movies we own when the non QT versions will not work and that is all that is out there. I’m useing Vista and 7 and had problems with the QT versions and went back to 8085. I do wish the owners of this program would get them back to the older way which worked well or a lot better that the QT versions with the jack of all trades and are getting to big and messed up. I don’t thank they hear us.[/QUOTE]

The 8092QT version works ok on my Windows 7 rig, the biggest issue is with XP for a lot of users.

[QUOTE=thekochs;2590122]Dumb question here…what is “QT” mean ?[/QUOTE]

According to Haavard Nord, who developed Qt, the letter ‘Q’ was chosen as the class prefix because the letter looked beautiful in Haavard’s Emacs font. The ‘t’ was added to stand for “toolkit”, inspired by Xt, the X Toolkit.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2590151]The 8092QT version works ok on my Windows 7 rig, the biggest issue is with XP for a lot of users.[/QUOTE]

SJ, do you think we’re going to see ANY new non QT versions, or is this the end of the line for us XP folks?

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2590174]SJ, do you think we’re going to see ANY new non QT versions, or is this the end of the line for us XP folks?[/QUOTE]

DVDFab is strickly QT now so no more none QT versions, the problem with XP is not happening on all XP rigs and I’m sure Fengtao has his team working on this to resolve the problem.

There’s one potential work around that I’m aware of that works for at least some users with XP SP3.

Right click on the program icon >>> Properties >>> Compatibilty.

Uncheck all the options apart from ‘Disable Visual Themes’.

Unfortunately this only works on certain systems but there’s nothing to lose by trying.

[B]Wombler[/B]

i think I’m going to wait until SJ or Fengtao posts that the problem is solved! The uninstall sounds like a major headache.

I’ve also got Any DVD in my toolbox if i run into a copyguard that 8.0.8.5 can’t break. (as long as dvd fab tells me it’s having a problem as i don’t watch every rip immediately!).

[QUOTE=Wombler;2590152]According to Haavard Nord, who developed Qt, the letter ‘Q’ was chosen as the class prefix because the letter looked beautiful in Haavard’s Emacs font. The ‘t’ was added to stand for “toolkit”, inspired by Xt, the X Toolkit. [B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I read some threads after my post and is QT for “[B]Q[/B]uck[B]T[/B]ime” ?..I am only assuming this based on some initial QT release notes and also the comment on “steps towards MAC Support”.

[QUOTE=thekochs;2590271]I read some threads after my post and is QT for “[B]Q[/B]uck[B]T[/B]ime” ?..I am only assuming this based on some initial QT release notes and also the comment on “steps towards MAC Support”.[/QUOTE]

QT (in regards to DVDFab) does not have anything to do with QuickTime. QT is a cross-platform application and UI framework developed by Nokia. It is used mainly by C++ developers and allows them to more easly support user interface (UI) development across multiple platforms. For the most part QT means nothing to the end user. For more information visit http://qt.nokia.com/.

when a Fab problem developes,

Last week I could not rip “Black SWAN” past the 57% mark using Main movie and also could not rip it using full disk…
Tried with Qt and previous versions of Fab…,
Had Path player “enabled when necessary”…
Used Nero tools to scan the physical disk and it was fine…

anyways, THE old standby, Ripit4me, worked perfect…
Still amazes me that it still will work most non- Sony Arcos protected disks while not having been updated since the great shutdown few years ago.
Ripit4me always seems to work when I get Jammed up in Fab occassionally…

[QUOTE=thekochs;2590271]I read some threads after my post and is QT for “[B]Q[/B]uck[B]T[/B]ime” ?..I am only assuming this based on some initial QT release notes and also the comment on “steps towards MAC Support”.[/QUOTE]

Havaard Nord is the guy that developed Qt so his answer is the correct one.

He was the CEO of Trolltech who developed Qt prior to Nokia acquiring Trolltech in 2008.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Does 8.0.9.8 QT work with XP ?

[QUOTE=thekochs;2591911]Does 8.0.9.8 QT work with XP ?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does however there are several XP users having trouble due to graphic card driver out of date .