The new Bearshare VS Limewire?

vbimport

Hey everyone! I’m kinda new to all of this stuff so forgive me for any “stupid/behind the times” questions i may have. I guess first off i should post a little bit about my comp.

Operating System
System Model
Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
667 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: 693-596-W977EF
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 06/22/00
Drives Memory Modules c,d
16.67 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
11.42 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

E-IDE CD-ROM 52X/AKH
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Brother MFC-210C USB Device [Hard drive] – drive 2
Maxtor 31024H1 [Hard drive] (10.25 GB) – drive 0, s/n L1JH60BC, rev YAH814Y0, SMART Status: Healthy
Maxtor 90640D4 [Hard drive] (6.45 GB) – drive 1, s/n V418NLVA, rev PAS23C15, SMART Status: Healthy 384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot ‘BANK_0’ has 128 MB
Slot ‘BANK_1’ has 128 MB
Slot ‘BANK_2’ has 128 MB
Slot ‘BANK_3’ is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.24 GB 6.23 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1) 6.43 GB 5.19 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
I’ve tried the newest version of bear share and it seems to run alright,I’ve also tried limewire and it seems to run alright. Neither one runs particularly great. The guy that gave me this rig used to use an old version of bearshare and he said it worked awesome! But from what i’ve heard it’s illegal and full of spy/ad/malware. which program will run best on my comp that is legal? Also Could i put a dvd burner on this comp? Or is that another question for another forum? Thank you in advance for putting up with my ignorance :bow:

you sure you have the HD numbers right??

10.25 and 6.45 ?

and if that is the case…and your wanting to download…lets say mp3’s…given the free space you have…over both drives…11 GB tops…well…i’d not even bother…

as for limewire and bearshare…i just like using limewire i have my speeds topped out and i do scan all files before opening them NOW…:slight_smile: one good viruis and you learn these things… I think what ever P2P you choose is just a matter of personal prefrence…

I can’t really afford to upgrade this comp OR buy a new one so this is all i have for right now.

you might wanna check the bargin basement here for some deals on external harddrives …

Thanx for the help. But…here comes the dumb question… Why do i need a bigger hard drive?

first off if your having performance issues is due to the processor speed…that processor im guessing is about 7 years old…plus…as SS mentioned that hd space is not that adequate…i’d find an 80gb($40) on sale and change but as far as speed…that memory u have installed(pc100) is quite slow…the d’load machine i’m on now is a P3 866…w/ the same amount of ram as u and its hell to d’load stuff and surf…it’s the pc thats the issue…as far as legal…none of it really is…just use a “spyware free” version of limewire…called frostwire…and you should be fine…ofcourse the limewire network has been gettin hit hard as of the last few months…you might wanna try .torrents or soulseek…find anything u want

you’ll need a bigger hd cause when u d’load mp3’s…u’ll find more that you want and they add up(in mb’s)…i have 80+ gb’s on my other hd…trust SS…you’ll need another hd