The name is Bomber, Palestinian Bomber

vbimport

URL : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9069423/

CORONA, Calif. - The address was his, but the name on the credit-card offer took Sami Habbas by surprise: “Palestinian Bomber.”

“I thought it was a joke or something,” said Habbas, 54, a Palestinian American who served in the U.S. Army.

Habbas opened the letter, and the salutation read “Dear Palestinian Bomber.”

When he called the company, JPMorgan Chase & Co., provided his ZIP code and invitation number, two operators said to him: “Yes, Mr. Bomber, what can we do for you?”

“It’s very upsetting,” Habbas said. “I’m not what they are saying, a Palestinian bomber. That’s uncalled for. I have a name. My name is Sami Habbas.”

The information came from a list Chase purchased from a vendor, said Kelly J. Presta, Chase Card Services executive vice president. Chase Card Services, the Delaware-based credit card line of JPMorgan Chase & Co., said it doesn’t know how that name was attached to Habbas’ address but it is investigating.

“Although no Chase employee was involved in creating this information, we are embarrassed by this incident and regret that our automatic screening procedures did not catch this erroneous information,” Presta said.

I personally know someone whose dog (who was given the same last name as its owner) received a credit card offer one day. Automatic screening procedures? Ha, yea, right.

/me falls off my chair laughing

Whats to be expected when you buy lists from “vendors”.

aka: The lowest price tenderer also :wink:

that’s perhaps extreme, but not unusual. I worked at a minimum-wage place like that before, updating address lists, adding new subscriptions, etc. Although I never believed in the ‘minimum wage, minimum work mentality,’ plenty others there did–although thankfully, they never did anything that stupid. I’ve heard Suzie Orman (? the credit card/kind of financial guru of personal finance) state how lax even credit bureaus are in making sure name changes (something that’s a MAJOR no-no in the business) aren’t done, especially when several people live at the same address and 2 people have the same initials, albeit different names. I know it’s not seriously considered as a problem, as I have been confused with another person of a different name, but same initials and some idiot thought we were the same person (NOT!) and changed some of my items… So, it is certainly not inconceivable someone could have attached that name to his record–and that the person in question even did it for kicks–especially not in today’s world that gives the same ‘effort’ as the $$$/hour one is being paid. :frowning: