The MP3 Trade: A white collar crime?

vbimport

I just posted the article The MP3 Trade: A white collar crime?.

xpire used our newssubmit to tell us about an article on Rollingstone.com. Again an article about MP3 trading.

Did you all also notice that there are a LOT of articles about audio copy…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3692-The-MP3-Trade-A-white-collar-crime.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3692-The-MP3-Trade-A-white-collar-crime.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

WOW!! I cant believe they settled for $1mill. I’d have given them $10 and told them to be happy :slight_smile: They obviously have more money than brains. Theres no way they can claim that $1000000 worth of music was traded. They’re nuts!

Ok - I just found it. What the music industry SHOULD be doing. A program called Spinner (www.spinner.com) that a friend recommended to me. It’s a radio type program that tunes you into into radio stations but has it all built into the program. It has a built in feature: ‘Buy Now’. If your listening to the song and u like it it will take you straight to CDNOW or Amazon and let you buy it. This type of thing is what the music industry needs to be doing. GIVING us the music for free and asking us what we think of it and IF we like it it should be taking us straight to a site where, for $1 or so we can purchase that song. They can own the radio stations, they can put all the new artists they get onto the air on their stations in the right genre’s and if we like the song we are linked straight to somewhere to buy it. If they had a brain they’d be doing shit like this instead of doing crap like copy protection. They’re like people who are fighting a war and loosing it. They’re fighting as they retreat instead of running, thinking and coming back strong with new plans.

The Music Industry doesn’t want us paying for a song. they want us to buy the whole album. After all, you pay $15+ for a new album which might have 2 or 3 good songs. So even if you paid $3 per song by the method you are suggesting, they’d lose potenial money.

>>by the method you are suggesting, they’d lose potenial money Right now, If they want to make ANY money. There arent many choices left. They seem to be taking the -lets sue everybody in the whole god damn world.-

I know they want to sell me an album full of crap but It’s no longer working. They dont have the monopoly. I have the power and I’m displaying it along with the rest of the world. We’re saying: FUCK YOU and not buying the albums full of crap and we’re downloading the music instead. If they want to now start playing the business game like most other companies have to, then they’ll start asking us what we want and giving it to us. I dont know of any other business that can try to tell the customers what they want. Most of them find out what the customers want and then give it to them. Not sell us crap when we know it’s crap.

I think it’s fairly simple. Those who do not want to buy the album, buy the singles. Yes, it’s expensive but hey. I don’t like the “Music Industry” much myself but if I like some songs I’ll buy them. Download the songs; but buy the song if you like it. It hurts the bands in the end too if you don’t, not just the industry.

They say “dedicated an entire computer server specifically for the trading of MP3s” don’t you think it was just 1 or 2 system admin guys thinking “hey, spare computer, we can share a few mp3s with some other mates around the company”. Friends tell their friends, it grows. Is it the company’s fault? I guess now it is. Put conrols on your employees or you gonna get screwed. Then again, 1 million is kinda a lot for (a few?) employees sharing music. It suggests there was something bigger going on… should read the whole article really

It was probably one of the dump sites for one of the mp3 groups or something. That’s why such a big fine.

Well ya see. The music industry is not selling many singles these days. In fact these days they wil release an album before any single because it’s more profitable. The days of the single are numbered (This is where the net steps in). It’s about time they wised up and looked at the demographics. Sell albums offline. Sell singles online.

Sweet ass, I live a couple of miles from that company. I live in Gilbert Arizona

$1m can buy a lot of music. I suppose a company like this would HAVE to settle, otherwise they could lose major clients because of the bad publicity they’d get from defending in court. RIAA has more $$$ to play (being backed by huge record labels like sony) and could easily shit all over 'em anyway. You’ve got to be careful these days. It’s a bit like s/w licensing in a way.

The 1mil$ fine was probably not really paid. Often this kind of arrangements are made to manipulate the public. I hope someone will check if the Arizona company is not given the money back in some way.

In reference to the statement that it ‘hurts the bands too’ if you don’t buy their album/CD. I don’t think anyone really believes that if they have any idea how the industry works. Being in a band myself, I can assure you, the money made from the CD’s is not money to live on. There was once a huge article in Guitar World magazine that made the following example: a 5 person band records their first cd - it goes gold (500,000 copies sold) after paying back the record companies (referred to from this point on as the THIEVES) the money they fronted for the studio time, promotion, and all the other expenses, each band member would make approximately $15,000 from sales on that CD. Now, I don’t know about you, but 500,000 copies of a record sold I think would make the THEIVES a HUGE chunk of change, but again, the artist gets screwed. I don’t know of a single person that could live off $15k/year. (actually, if you think about it, that’s for TWO years, or however long it takes for them to put out a second cd. Gee, 7500/yr is killer cash, ain’t it?) If you want to support your favorite band and make sure they get paid well, buy tickets to their live shows and buy a t-shirt or a tour program while you’re there. bands make the MAJORITY of their money from merchandise from touring, not record sales. The THEIVES make the money from the CD sales. Fuck the RIAA and the record companies. They ain’t worth a shit, and they’re getting what they deserve. :d