The moving picture: MPEG-4 is dead

I just posted the article The moving picture: MPEG-4 is dead.

EMediaLive.com has put up an
article that explains why, according to them, the MPEG-4 format will never hit
off. MPEG-4 is
currently one of the video technologies that is fighting to…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8129-The-moving-picture-MPEG-4-is-dead.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8129-The-moving-picture-MPEG-4-is-dead.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Anyone who says Real’s codecs are of higher quality than MPEG-4 needs to put down the crack pipe, and walk away slowly. WMV 9 has excellent quality, I can’t argue that. However, it has disturbing qualities from a DRM standpoint that may make geeks reluctant adopters of it. I’d like to see MPEG-4 come together on this one, as I’ve seen excellent quality from both DivX and XViD

I’m growing more and more fond of open formats, so Xvid is my own choice… And in the last doom9 codec review Xvid came out very high :slight_smile:

I hear you lonewolf, anyone who thinks Real player is average or better is painting with the windows closed. WM9 and Quicktime run over Real networks with a cement truck. If Real is so good how come over 90% of movie trailers are in quicktime?

XviD rocks!

XviD rocks!

Isn’t Xvid the clear winner these days? I mean, its got it all: amazing compression, excellent video/audio quality… Almost an 1hr 30min can fit onto one 700mb and DVD Player support is slowly growing although DivX is far more supported compared to Xvid.

I see quite a number of DVD players announcing ‘DivX’ playback (likely also supports Xvid and other MPEG4 codecs). While Windows Media capable players are less common, the movie industry will obviously take DRM as a top priority rather than popularity. This is where Windows Media has a clear advantage. Another example - while pretty much every portable flash/HD based audio player on the market supports MP3, very few online stores offer this music in this format. Main reason: No native DRM support.

A few points… First, DRM is here to stay. No offense, but geeks will have no say in this. The movie industry must protect their property. Security through low-bandwidth is coming to an end. In 5 years you’ll be able to download a 1 gig file in a very reasonable amount of time. Some people play by the rules, but most of the laments about “fair use” and the seemingly valid arguments against DRM are codewords for “we want free stuff”. Second, WMV is what I want to win. Namely because even with HD-DVD, MP4 takes too much space to put a high quality 1080P movie on a DVD. WMV has better quality per compression unit, so they’ll probably be able to fit full quality 1080p video on a DVD with it.

DRM is not hear to stay. What is hear to stay is data that was DRM protected until it was cracked. encrypted content that needs decrypted before it can be used is totally worthless in terms of protecting content. After a few more DRM attempts this should start to become even more obvious. The technology that usually kicks everyone else’s ass usually comes from Microsoft or out of left field from a company that no one has ever heard of before, because it’s cheaper and works better. Since no one likes the DRM in WMV, I imagine there’s somebody working on something in left field right now.

I seens quite a lot of reports that WMV 720p & 1080p look very good on a monitor, but I find there is a huge difference between WMV HDTV vs even MPEG2 HDTV on the big screen. On my 88" projection system, some of the WMV HDTV samples show quite a lot of visible artefacts like a highly compressed JPEG image. Euro1080 (a European HDTV channel) looks excellent on the big screen with very minor visual artefacts that I can see. Then again, WMV HDTV’s smaller size seems to also be fovoured over quality.

Sean, The Editor of Widescreen Review, Joe Kane, says WM9 1080p is the best HD definition codec out there as of today. This is the guy who created Digital Video Essentials DVD.

Realtime - Very crap Quicktime - Fairly crap ( WMV7 - Crap to Fairly crap. WMV9 - Not as crap, but probably uses stolen code to make it better. MPEG2 - Good MPEG4 - Better. Open Source stuff - Always better. I certainly dont agree that a monopoly is required for a standard. Some of the best and most commonly used standards are set by either independant groups or by a group of companies working together. Companies acting as monopolies and creating their own quasi-standards are a bad idea. No cheap products have ever come out of Apple or MS have they?