The Memorex Thread

vbimport

Opinions on Memorex seem to vary widely on Club MyCE and indeed around the internet, and I’ve come to justify that, in my experience… They weren’t so bad after all.

I often felt that Memorex, granted they always seem cheaper than the competition compared to Maxell and TDK have been a reputable brand which just seems to perform and perform.

Whilst in just about every aspect Memorex media was pushed out by other brands like Scotch, Maxell and TDK, they were no slouch compared to these brands. I felt their videotapes were better than these brands for two reasons. Stunning, lifelike picture reproductions, and the fact they had an index catalogue on the back.

They have much better durability (circa 2006) compared to Maxell (But even then, I doubt Memorex have produced their own video tapes…) and if I wanted an excellent middle of the road VHS, I would buy a Memorex.

Their CD-R media is also excellent, but again, not produced by Memorex. Whilst the new facelifted Memorex discs lack the lines on their discs (Which can be a bit of annoyance) They were always very reliable burning. I only ever got a laser calibration failure on a faulty burner that I was using. I still have a Memorex disc circa 2004 which still works to this day.

Since for whatever reason they always appear on sale, I would advise anyone to snap this up. I standby Memorex because they have a brand name to protect. (Which is my motto, I will always buy brand name media like TDK, Maxell, etc for my media).

My Memorex CD-R were made by Moser Boar India, so I guess I got lucky with mine. Memorex as a brand might not have been sensational, but for great results I always buy a Memorex. With how much slander there is on Memorex it is quite surprised they haven’t gone bust yet. :smiley:

One critism of Memorex is of course their tapes, which were pure garbage. Actually thats an overexaggeration - Their Type I cassettes were pretty bad, noisy and unreliable, but their Type II cassettes were actually pretty good. :iagree:

Their DVD-R media is different, however. Whilst all of the Memorex DVD-R media I’ve got in touch with have been okay according to scans from others I bought, I’ve never bought a pack because better brands were available at cheaper prices, I just don’t trust Memorex on their DVD-R side.

Infact, whilst I don’t outrule Memorex media, my preferred recording brand would have to be TDK for cassettes, Scotch for their VHS tapes, Maxell for their DVD-R, and whatever that is the cheapest for CD-R :slight_smile:

Feel free to post your own experiences about Memorex. Whilst Memorex aren’t the best brand in the world when there are so many other brands at similar prices which can do the job just as well if not better, Memorex shouldn’t be consigned to the dustbin.

Hey Chad, I used Memorex a lot when cassettes were popular ,they were a good tape for the money,they were reliable and the sound that it recorded was real fair.And the tape cassette case held up real good.But I think the Maxells were better.I used the maxell UR 90’swhich were a good tape.

Hello Marloyd :smiley: I have to admit I mostly use Maxell tapes because they were the most common and cheapest, and because I have a Maxell brand bias relating to their VHS days because for me they were the best to offer quality vs price comparision, and their videotapes were pretty good also :slight_smile:

I used Memorex Reel to reel audio tapes back in the day. When Memorex first started selling the Made in India DVD+R disc they were great and I bought a lot of them. I had one cake box of 50 that were mostly trash, but the rest were real good ( see the scans in the blank media part of the forum. The rest of Memorex ,CMC-Mag stuff never scanned very well and froze and pixelated a lot so I quit using Memorex except for the 8X MII ones that I still have quite a few of.
Oh yeah, I used a LOT of Memorex VHS tapes.

Well, i only had 2-3 memorec tapes, and the result was bad. Somehow this continued with the dvd media, and now memorex is a brand to avoid. Lets hope that they will somehow improve their products.
CD’s were OK, but the price is almost the same as the verbatim, so no need to get them.

Hehe, I saw this thread coming :bigsmile:

I too used Memorex tapes back in the day, both audio and video. Best I can remember is both were…alright. Came to prefer TDK and Maxell for audio though.

The few spindles of Memorex CDR that I’ve used (all CMC - run away Chad!) did what they say on the tin also. No failed burns or anything.

But as Vroom points out, the price is similar to Verbies…

As for their DVD R media. From what I’ve found, even with MBIL MIDs and CMC Mag. AM3, both of which I love under other brands…the quality/longevity just wasn’t up to say, Maxell/HP standards.

I don’t use Memorex for anything. After [B]years[/B] of advising people on the site, I’ve come to expect the word Memorex when I ask what type of media they are using that is producing such horrible results. Most of the time I am right…the Memocrap is simply not burning well in their drives. I had one thread just in the last couple of days where I got the woman to try Verbatim instead, and poof the problem was solved.

So, no one is going to convince me of the quality of Memocrap…not unless they start buying from TY as their source for dvds.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2584765]Hehe, I saw this thread coming :bigsmile:

I too used Memorex tapes back in the day, both audio and video. Best I can remember is both were…alright. Came to prefer TDK and Maxell for audio though.

The few spindles of Memorex CDR that I’ve used (all CMC - run away Chad!) did what they say on the tin also. No failed burns or anything.

But as Vroom points out, the price is similar to Verbies…

As for their DVD R media. From what I’ve found, even with MBIL MIDs and CMC Mag. AM3, both of which I love under other brands…the quality/longevity just wasn’t up to say, Maxell/HP standards.[/QUOTE]

MY GOD! PLEASE, NEVER MENTION CMC AGAIN! :z Seriously, CMC MAG discs are literally the only thing which can make me violently sick - Their sh1t media just isn’t worth their low price tag where for a few extra pence I can get Ri…

Actually, Ritek CD-R is as bad or in my experience worse than CMC Magnetic CD-R. Which is ironic; Since I bought a pack of Arita/Ritek (I know I know… :a ) to GET AWAY from CMC… Failure after failure, skipping, what sounds like scratching on playback, etc etc…

They are both garbage brands, and IMHO I’ve wasted enough discs to get the message: Both of these brands are utter garbage! The best discs in my opinion so far have been the MBI ones (Produced by Memorex, as it happens…) But I’ve had nothing but excellent from Plasmon ATIP discs under both Signellex (Poundland brand) AOne, and Tesco value discs.

Plasmon compared to Ritek / CMC I’ve nothing but excellent results. But MBI seems to have that edge :wink:

Getting back to the case on hand though; [B]Kerry56[/B] I wrote this thread just to whip up a bit of hubbub on their experience… In my experience although if we compare them to other brands Memorex just isn’t up to scratch, if you can find their media at bargain basement prices I certainly won’t overlook them :iagree:

Ditto, a lot of Memorex tapes turn up at my local charity shop, but I hunt round and find out the Sony / Maxell / AGFA (etc) tapes - Why bother with mediorce brands when I can have better brands for the same 50p? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry if I seem a bit hypocritical, but it’s alarming to hear that so many users on the internet want to avoid a well established over the decades brand Memorex like the plague - It’s left me scratching my head, because certainly in their magnetic tape department their not bad.

I don’t expect to convince anyone, I just want a few users to post their Memorex experiences. But I do have to favour why would people bother with Memorex when for the same price they can get Maxell / Sony / TDK? Don’t settle for medoirce when you can have better for the same price :wink:

I will vouch one thing for Memorex… Their adverts were brilliant.

Forever will it be etched in my memory as one of the greatest slogans of all time; “IS IT LIVE - OR IS IT MEM-MUR-EX?” I reckon if their reputation wasn’t in so much tatters, this would have been killer :bigsmile:

I’ve held on to a few older CMC CD-Rs I should scan them :bigsmile:

Never found memorex to be good for much, heck I even had the Memorex mini-discs and it never seemed to fail that the loader would jam every time I used the Memorex discs. Never happened with the Sony ones. The tapes didn’t give me much better service and didn’t stand up the way Maxell and TDK did. I swore off the label long ago (even before I learned about media outsourcing).

memorex bad

My daughter had a disk of pictures a lady took of her child and the only way I could get the pictures of it was to copy it to the hard drive then burn it and it took a long time to get them to even go to the hard drive and this was a new disk.

The dual layers which are made by ritek are the WORST! They might be better if they were some other brand and same MID, but memowrecks is just terrible! There CD-Rs were good when they were using Prodisc! but now they are all CMC and crap media!

I have to agree about DL media, I prefer not to use them since they are more prone to failure, if possible preferring to split them onto two SL discs, which equate to the same price as one DL disc. Rather have one disc fail on a SL than a DL fail outright :wink:

I have to disagree about Memorex CD-Rs, under the MBI codename they are one of the best disc brands I’ve ever used. Very stable and reliable :slight_smile: Unlike Ritek and CMC :a

I’d have to agree there, but TY CD-Rs are so much better! (too bad memorex can’t get it right there!)

Ideally I don’t think Memorex could afford to outsource to TY media - Undermining profits and all that :wink:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2584797]MY GOD! PLEASE, NEVER MENTION CMC AGAIN! :z

…[/quote]

CMC :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, Ritek CD-R is as bad or in my experience worse than CMC Magnetic CD-R. Which is ironic; Since I bought a pack of Arita/Ritek (I know I know… :a ) to GET AWAY from CMC… Failure after failure, skipping, what sounds like scratching on playback, etc etc…

Just goes to show once again how experiences can differ - I’ve found Ritek CDRs to be very good. Under good brands, mind. :wink:

I will vouch one thing for Memorex… Their adverts were brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyFcJcZiaU

Forever will it be etched in my memory as one of the greatest slogans of all time; “IS IT LIVE - OR IS IT MEM-MUR-EX?” I reckon if their reputation wasn’t in so much tatters, this would have been killer :bigsmile:

Yeah, agreed there. The Maxell ones were good too :slight_smile:

I think I’ve just been sick :o

CMC CD-Rs are in fairness OKAY for Music CDs, but absolute garbage for data CD-Rs… In which case, Plasmon/UmeDisc / Ritek / Mosar Boar have been okay and muchly preferred. Now, since the latter of these brands are roughly the same price, I’ve stopped buying CMC full stop.

This is one of the many reasons why I don’t play around with questionable media. To me it just seems ridiculous to waste so much time and money running around from all of these bulk media deals with variable quality manufacturers, when quality media direct from the manufacturer is so affordable these days. When I can get unbranded TY CD-Rs or DVD-Rs for 30 cents a disc or less (with shipping included) and have the piece of mind that I am getting among the best quality media, then it seems like just a waste of time screwing around with the others. The only place where the lower quality manufacturers could potentially save you money would be on D/L or Blu-Ray and unfortunately NONE of them are even close in quality to the best discs for those types of discs.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2585296]To me it just seems ridiculous to waste so much time and money running around from all of these bulk media deals with variable quality manufacturers, when quality media direct from the manufacturer is so affordable these days.[/QUOTE]

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. :iagree:

It’s just not worth taking the chance with unreliable media these days.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Problem is, what would you guys define as bad media? In 2011, it seems that all cheap brands are on a similar level playing field - Since most of them are copies of each other under different brand names. Ditto the same applies for what burner you have as well -

The reason why I badmouth CMC so much is because 50% of the discs failed - Certainly in the DVD-R category. Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE BURNED ON AN OLD PIONEER. All of the other CMC discs I’ve burned have been excellent on other burners, and performed much more reliable on a Phillips/NEC burner.

I’ve never had any serious failures with CMC - But I know if I just want results, never to burn them on a Pioneer burner. It was a fairly old burner as well, which probably explains why it choked on my Pioneer burner (2004, I believe?) But since I moved to a Phillips burner (Pulled from a damaged Packard Bell machine) no burner errors with ANY of the discs I’ve used (Mirror, Bulkpaq, Maxell, etc…)

Although from the Pioneer experience I’m a little wary about storing vital data on CMC Discs - (Low quality discs anyway) they make excellent short term discs and for audio CDs are excellent. (I can’t read Audio CDs from them though on IMGBurn, but I can extract them to WAV, MP3, etc using different software? Very strange…

I’ve had nothing but excellent results from using AOne / Tesco discs. :slight_smile: