The major crisis in TV

vbimport

FORTUNE – Once hot flat panel TVs are not, at least according to the latest data from NPD DisplaySearch. Worldwide TV shipments fell by 8% from a year prior in the first quarter of 2012. That was the steepest rate of decline since the second quarter of 2009. The biggest contributor to this decline was a slowdown in shipments of LCD sets, which fell year-on-year for the first time ever.

Link: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/02/televisions/?section=money_technology&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmoney_technology+(Technology)

:cool::cool:

The biggest problem with Internet connectivity is that TV manufacturers keep creating a new system every year that is not backwards compatible with older TVs, so I’m not surprised that customers are noticing this and choosing to buy basic TV models without all the Internet features.

An Internet based set-top box can provide a lot more features than what would come built-in to a high-end TV and tend to be supported for several years. If the set-top box does become obsolete, it’s just a matter of getting a new box rather than replacing the entire TV.

As for smaller TVs, many people are now using Tablets and laptops as a second TV, so this would explain the drop in sales of smaller size TVs.

Finally, I don’t think 4K is going to do as much of an impact as going from standard definition to HD. The difference between HD and 4K would only be noticeable when standing right in front of the TV. The main problem at present is that many HD channels have reduced the bit-rate to the point where the picture quality is barely better than DVD quality.

Oh Goody!

Market saturation.

Market saturation = lower prices

I agree with market saturation being a problem for HDTV makers. They are going to have to entice current owners with larger sets at lower prices to get current owners to upgrade. IMO, they have ruined their chance to get people to buy based on new technology like 3D etc. Their hype didn’t live up to the actual performance and people no longer believe their hype. The only reason I will buy another HDTV is I get a better TV for a decent price. I have a good 46" HDTV now and I would replace it if I could by a 55"+ full LED of equal, or better, quality for under $1,000. I wouldn’t mind having 1-2 smaller HDTVs and the pricing of them are getting low enough for me to think about buying.

If the HDTV manufacturers were smart they would start putting full HTPCs into the chassis that can be upgraded with standardized parts. Put these in a 55" HDTV at a $1,000-$1,200 price point and I think they would sell like hotcakes.