The LITE-ON SOHW-1673S and SONY DRU-720A thread

Check it out.
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_sohw1673s.asp

DVD +/- R 16x (CAV)
DVD+RW 8x (ZCLV)
DVD-RW 6x (CLV)
DVD+R/DL 4x (CLV)

Will a 1633 be able to be updated to burn +RW discs at 8X?

Probably not. The 1673S uses a different OPU and a tweaked chipset, but time will tell. :wink:

Thanks! Interestingly, someone at LiteOn USA’s tech support said that it would include -R DL. But this was one or two months ago, so I guess they’ve changed their mind since…

we want to see LiteON be king again!!..since in CD-RW!!

i think it next revision chipset (MTK) will be better lo i hope!!

I don’t think that this Mtk chipset will be very much different. Although it’s not cross-flashable, it is still another 3S drive, after all.

But there are rumblings that the next chipset for the 5S drive may be significantly different. shrug

Will it burn 4x +RW media at 8x or will there be new 8x +RW media?

We’ve yet to see ANY shining examples of RW media being over-speeded successfully. Let’s hope this will be the last “3” series drive.

There will be new 8x +RW and new 6x -RW media. Given the unique physical nature of RW media, I wouldn’t count on there being much overspeeding.

4x-8x DVD+RW:
MKM     /A03/00
MKM     /A02/00
PHILIPS /RW8/00

4x-6x DVD-RW:
MKM 01RW6X01/00
RITEKW06    /00
CMCW04      /00
JVC1Victord7/00
TDK701saku  /00

Let’s hope they have actually tested that list of supported RW media and worked out a decent strat. :rolleyes:

That’s what I thought. I produced a few useless discs trying to overspeed the 2.4x +RWs. Yes, I read the warnings but… :wink:

Dang, it figures! Right after I got my 16x burner as an early Christmas present thinking 8x +RW wasn’t going to happen. Oh well, I wouldn’t dump all my 4x media for 8x. Have too much of it.

can i update my 1653s to 1673s?

This was addressed twice in this thread already in posts nos. 3 & 6. (answer: no!)

ook …

Does anyone know when this drive might be available in the USA? Say from Newegg.com ? I’d like to try a Lite-On DVD drive now that it has some features my
Pioneer 108’s don’t have yet. :slight_smile: Would be nice to have a K-Probe drive, as well.

I just wish liteon would become real reliable again :slight_smile:

4x DVD-R DL, likely to be added when the specification is finalized. NEC also says ND-3520A will have 4x DVD-R DL when it’s done.

Regarding the 5s chipset, any idea when it’s gonna become available. My sister is graduating in May and I was thinking of buying her digicam and a DVD writer as presents.

Lite-On has officially announced their latest 16x DVD±RW drive, the SOHW-1673S. This new drive is capable of 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW and 4x DVD+R DL writing speeds. Here is part of their press release:

The fastest DVD rewriting technology, 8x DVD+RW & 6x DVD-RW, has been implemented into new LITE-ON IT ATAPI / E-IDE 16x DVD Dual drives : SOHW-1673S. You don't need to stand previous slow 4x DVD rewriting speed. This DVD Dual Drive is also able to write certified DVD+R DL Double Layer media at 4x maximum, write single layer DVD+R & DVD-R at 16x maximum, and read DVD-ROM media at 16x maximum. It takes around 6 minutes to backup 4.7 GB data on a certified single layer DVD+R or DVD-R media at 16x. It can save you a lot of time and trouble for data storage. This drive is not only a powerful DVD ReWriter but also an Ultra-Speed CD-RW drive. It can write CD-R media at 48x maximum, rewrite Ultra-Speed CD-RW media at 24x maximum, and read CD-ROM media at 48x maximum. SOHW-1673S has the best CD-R writing performance in the current market of 16x DVD Dual ReWriters. 

Press release :
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_news/e_product_news.asp#A39

More info:

Do u think it is a Liteon 1673s oem?

source

specs:
dvd+r 16x
dvd-r 16x
DL+9 4x
+rw 8x
-rw 6x
cdr 40x
cdrw 24x

dunno whether the spec above (quoted fr the link) is wrong. i thought the drive should be
Liteon 1673s, but 1673s CDR burning is 48x, not 40x :confused: