The Lite-on conspiricy REVEALED!

if this is old news, sorry, but it’s new to me!

ok guys, I was curious today so I took the ltr-48125w out of my system at work. also took my ltr-40125S and took them both apart. what i found was very suprising, and encouraging!

first the ltr-40125s’ story, I took it apart, look at the board, saw the expected mediatek chipset and thought nothing of it. the pcb board that the chipset is on was even labeled ltr-40125s as expected. the front board however was slightly strange, the board with the volume knob and eject button was labeled ltr-32123s. strange…but makes sense since that board should rarely need updating.

now for the reason for this post, the internals of the 48125w drive. took it apart, and the volume/eject button knob were the same, the 32123s part. again, not too suprising. the main board however held a pleasent suprise… same media tek chipset, same model number mediatek chipset stamped on the chips, different lot/serial numbers though, again as expected. boards look the same, and the real suprise is that it is labeled as a ltr-40125W/40125s/32125W/32125s
all 4 numbers, one of which we’ve never seen a physical drive based on, the 32125s drive.(not to be confused with 32123s)

so liteon is guilty of overclocking their own parts.

That’s why we :bow: LiteOn :slight_smile:

For those wanting internal pictures of the drives, do an FCC ID search for PPQRW1005 and PPQRW1003. Click Display Exhibits, then Internal Photos.

Type PPQ in the first field and RW1003 or RW1005 in the bigger field… In case anyone got it wrong the first time (like me :))

the rw1005 drive is the ltr-48126S drive and is labeled on the main board as such. the rw1003 drive however has a ltr-32125S on it for the fccid pic! it’s a consipircy I tell you!

Originally posted by FalcomPSX
the rw1005 drive is the ltr-48126S drive and is labeled on the main board as such. the rw1003 drive however has a ltr-32125S on it for the fccid pic! it’s a consipircy I tell you!

I see that the rw1005 said it was a x16rw also. Did I miss something ?

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=251898&native_or_pdf=pdf

no actually, i made a typo :stuck_out_tongue:

the rw1005 is actually the 48246S drive, not 48126S(doesn’t exist to my knowledge). so it should be a 24xrw drive, but until it’s released we’ll all be wondering i suppose.

conspiricy? good business sence more like. I have been saying it for months. Why design a burner than have to design another when you can design 1 to cover 3 models.

Just like with DVD-players, most companies produce one
drive which they code to the region it’s supposed to be selled in…
Saves money and it’s nice to us consumers :slight_smile:

Not to be offense, but how do you box ripper tell these models are being tested and certified to different speed ratings as their markings on selling?

All CPU are speed binned at the fabs, AFAIK, they are the same chip from the same incubator :wink: of the family. :slight_smile:

Please

I need Drive ppqrw1005… if you has, send me by e-mail trinisig@yahoo.com.br …Thank you