The Killing (Forbrydelsen)

vbimport

Anyone watch a Danish tv series called The Killing? Also called Forbrydelsen? I understand it is being broadcast in Britain now by the BBC. There was a very favorable write-up on the series in the New York Times.

AMC is going to make an English language version, but often times the original is so much better than the American interpretations, I thought I’d solicit a few opinions.

It’s on BBC Four here in Danish with sub-titles and you can catch up on some of the episodes online here.

Haven’t watched it though as I’m not a big fan of subtitled programmes.

I see they’re up to episode 20 already.

[B]Wombler[/B]

A very nice series. Released in Sweden two years ago.

Not so nice is that season 2 (11-20) is not yet released here. :a

but often times the original is so much better than the American interpretations

So very true. Might be that the “slow” speed is the issue when they adopt such stuff in the US.

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2581615]A very nice series. Released in Sweden two years ago.

Not so nice is that season 2 (11-20) is not yet released here. :a

So very true. Might be that the “slow” speed is the issue when they adopt such stuff in the US.[/QUOTE]

Yeah seems pretty good from the trailer and the clip I watched.

I just hate reading subtitles as I always feel I’m missing out to a certain extent on what goes on elsewhere on screen.

It’s difficult to appreciate people’s facial expressions etc. when you’re reading subtitles.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I like foreign films, so subtitles don’t bother me unless they are poorly done…fuzzy or poorly translated.

I’m sure that a lot of subtleties are lost regardless, but it is usually much better than poor remakes, or English language tracks tacked onto a foreign language film.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2581660]I just hate reading subtitles as I always feel I’m missing out to a certain extent on what goes on elsewhere on screen.[/QUOTE]

I rather read the text than have to hear J.R. or Mr Easton speak another language than the original one with lipsync out of order. That’s irritating. :a

Go [I]ahead[/I], [I]make my day[/I] sounds not so good in Swedish. :frowning:

The nice thing with Danish (and Norwegian) is that they are very close to Swedish, so I don’t have to watch subs on such programs.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2581662]…but it is usually much better than poor remakes, or English language tracks tacked onto a foreign language film.[/QUOTE]

Yep and I agree with you entirely on this. :iagree:

I’d just be happier if I spoke the native language than have to watch the sub-titles.

I’m quite analytical when it comes to films and for me the subtleties (that’s a weird looking word isn’t it :)) are all part of trying to figure out the underlying plot.

I also appreciate clever camerawork on the part of the director and that all adds to the experience for me personally.

It can be difficult to follow a lot of this though when also reading subtitles and I’m always left wondering what I might have missed (even if I haven’t missed anything :)).

I guess my own personal tastes can’t possibly be in sync with everyone but I can’t, for example, imagine anyone trying to figure out something like ‘Shutter Island’ from the sub-titles! :bigsmile:

I do tend to like complex and involved plots though so perhaps that’s part of it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2581688]The nice thing with Danish (and Norwegian) is that they are very close to Swedish, so I don’t have to watch subs on such programs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know it’s borne to a certain extent out of necessity but people in the Scandanavian countries are exceptionally good with languages and it’s something I always admire them for. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Sorry, but I never watched this Danish series.

Just so you didn’t think I was ignoring your question, Kerry. :flower: