The Intel 7900X CPU Review ( Toms Hardware)

As we do not have a CPU review Forum or Review Team I want to post the most comprehensive review of this processor I could find. I also want to ask all of you who have read CPU reviews to compare this with the new Ryzen 1800X at half the price.

The price at the time of posting is 999.00 USD. If you are an enthusiast, and are building a new computer which would you choose, the Intel new X299 LGA 2066 line or the AMD Threadripper 1800 CPU at half the price. I am torn between the two. While the Intel is only 20% stronger, and the price is double, I have to consider many other things, like what CPU is better at different tasks. The review I posted has a pretty good comparison.

I have not read the review, but here are my personal thoughts.

1. Intel rushed this, for no reason, and not only it looks rushed but it is, and you can see that from the fact that they only had 10c/20t CPU available for reviewers.
  2. No serious information about the 12c up to 18c CPU, OK at this point we all know that they are xeon CPUs but, one has to think about a few things.
  3. and my main concern would be the heat, it fun to say that you have an 18C/36T CPU but how much heat will this beast produce? and also what kind of a cooler would you need to keep it cool? I am guessing triple radiator?
  4. Pricing might be half from the previous 10c/20t CPU but AMD ryzen might onlyt have 8c/16t but its hald the the price of the 7900x and close to 500 us $ or 500 euros the intel CPU does not make that much sense. Plus you really need to use all the extra cores, if you are a gamer, then AMD, or even better 7700X
  5. The mess that intel has made with all the i5*/i7/i9 and their PCIe lanes, really 16 for the 4C and /28 for the 6 and 8 core CPU and only 44 for the 10 core? I was under the impression that you could get a 5830K and have 40 pcie lanes. If for some reason someone need this.

On the positive, intel continues to kick ass when it comes to ipc, and overall performance.

Now time to read the review…

General Chat

Excellent points vroom, I am also wondering why this was rushed out so fast, and I am also wondering if the price of the 6950X will be reduced. The 7980XE is now the flagship CPU and the price is 2.400USD. Too expensive for my blood.

I remember reading that amd threadripper would have 16c/32t so intel only had two ways to play this, one was to just say that we will have an 18c/36t CPU, or… go with option number two, the one that I would prefer, we will be releasing new CPUs, but for now only up to 12c/24t.
That way they would have more time to give a much better product, plus we havent seen the new AMD CPU’s and if we look at the ryzen vs. 7700k the 7700k continues to be an excellent option for any gamer.

Also +2000 USD is still to much, not sure how many people are happy to give that much money on a CPU, also here in Greece this will be something like 3-4 (if not more) months of work without spending any money.

One final thought, rumors are looking very good on the new Z370 chipset and also at a 6C CPU :wink:

Wow vroom, you have the same thoughts as I do. Plus the fact that Asus is going all in on AMD motherboards, even the ROG Hero. I am inclined for the first time since 2005 to try the new AMD product, however I still need to see more from people who have already built these rigs and posted screenshots of the stats.

In addition to the difference in CPU costs between AMD and Intel is the cost of motherboards. Especially for overclocking. The AMD motherboards are less expensive and all but the 320 versions allow overclocking. With Intel you have to buy the more expensive Z170/Z270 motherboards to overclock.

I was waiting on the LGA2066 (X299) platform to arrive before upgrading the main PC.
So, Skylake X has arrived along with KabyLake X.

The X299 is a really nice chipset, but to make the most of it you need a SkyLake X chip with 44 PCIe lanes.
Intel only do that chip in i9 flavour. No thanks. I’m wondering who can take advantage of a CPU with 10 plus cores?
Great for some tasks no doubt, but no advantage for games, and I don’t see consumers running applications that can take advantage of so many CPU cores.

AMD Ryzen. Good value, crap at overclocking and DRAM support, and the X370 chipset isn’t a true high end chipset, IMO.

Back to Intel, Z370 and Coffee Lake is only a stopgap, with CannonLake arriving six months later, and will require the Z390 chipset.

I won’t be upgrading just now, and i’ll be waiting to see IF a hex core Coffee Lake does arrive, and hope that Cannon Lake also has a hex core variant.

As for the i9 SkyLake X, and AMD Threadripper, those for consumers are no more than (bragging rights), IMO.

Correction to my above post.
The info I read about CannonLake and Z390 had a typo.
The (Z390) should have read Z370.

Z370 will use a new CPU socket LGA1151v2.
The Z370 chipset will also natively support USB3.1, and 1Gbps WiFi.

native USB 3.1 is something that I am more interested at, as for wifi, not so much.
Also a 6c/12t CPU on the mainstream platform, and hope that it will have better pricing that the current lineup.

Some of the motherboards have 5Gbps Wifi on board even now.

[quote=“alan1476, post:11, topic:398682, full:true”]
Some of the motherboards have 5Gbps Wifi on board even now.
[/quote]That is true, but they are not ‘native’ to the chipset.

Not being native to the chipset, impedes the speed in what way Dee ?

No speed should be the same*, it should take a pcie lane for an m.2 wifi module. After all that thing has to be connected to something so that it can work.

*Assuming that you are using a good wifi adapter,

Like always a PCI-E X1 lane.

When a feature is ‘native’ to the chipset, then everyone gets it, and there is no relying on a 3rd party controller.
Third party controllers are also restricted to a strict amount of PCIe lanes, 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x. Whereas a native feature can have PCIe lanes dynamically allocated from a pool of 20 or 24 PCIe lanes depending on the chipset.

That’s why Intel native SATA3 and USB3 always performed much better than third party SATA3 and USB3 solutions, and I’d expect native USB3.1 on Z370 to be faster than the current third party solutions.

Everything native to the PCH connects via DMI, and in the case of Z170 and later, the maximum transfers per second is restricted to 8GT/s

Thanks Dee, I have a better understanding now, I cant say I understand it fully, but I am beginning to get the idea. I will do a bit of research with the information you gave me and see if I can understand it a bit better. The analogy using Sata 3 and USB 3 was a great one. Thank you.