The importance of language

vbimport

A Swiss man, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Americans are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he asks. The two Americans just stare at him.

"Excusez-moi, parlez vous Francais?" he tries. The two continue to stare.

"Parlare Italiano?" No response.

"Hablan ustedes Espanol?" Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted. The first American turns to the second and says, "Y'know, maybe we should learn a foreign
language."

"Why?" says the other. "That guy knew four languages, and it didn't do him any good."

hehehe.

I learn 3 languages at the moment.
dutch, english and french…

And I speak CD Freaks fluidly :wink:

i can speak english and bad english:( :frowning:

ps this is my 100th post (bit of a crappy post but hey):smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

“Parlate italiano?”, not “parlaRe italiano”…
I speak italian, english, some french and my local dialect too;)

Wow, CD Freaks is an own language! Jeehaaw! :wink:

I speak (apart from CD Freaks then :)) Swedish, English, can read German and understand and imitate Norwegian.
I can’t understand Danish nor Finnish on the other hand…

Well, i speak greek, english, french and a few hungarian.

I tried norwegian too since i have a lot of norwegian friends but hey - it’s more difficult than german! Maybe swedish will be more easy :wink:

I speak English and can read german. I’m also learning Latin.

Originally posted by Totibbs
[B]hehehe.

I learn 3 languages at the moment.
dutch, english and french… [/B]

Oh no, Dutch people speaking french, that must be awful :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Hemispasm

I tried norwegian too since i have a lot of norwegian friends but hey - it’s more difficult than german! Maybe swedish will be more easy :wink:

Not very likely, I am afraid. Norwegian and Swedish, and Danish for that sake, are pretty much the same, we understand each other quite easily, at least if we speak slowly and clear to each other.
Of course, we Norwegians find it easier to understand Swedes than they find it to understand us. I believe the reason is that the Swedes exploited us for centuries…we were told what to do in Swedish…:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
(That one was for you, Airhead, and it was not meant (that) serious) :smiley:

German does belong to the same branch of languages as the Scandinavian ones (not Finnish), and has many similarities. I do not understand German, but I can read a text and get an idea of the contents. Many words are quite similar.
Mind you, I have heard that the grammar in German is nasty.
Even nastier than the Norwegian one, lol.

You’re right, i do remember norwegians and swedish being able to “communicate” althought they weren’t like the best buddies :wink:

Nevertheless, norwegian is a difficult language (not enough vowels for me :wink: ). Although i spent like 2 years hanging around with nerwegians (boy do you drink a lot of beer or what?? :smiley: ) all i could ever learn to say was (don’t know how it is spelled - hope you figure it out) “yei leeke tei” :smiley: I found it useful in many occasions :wink:

so what’s the hardest and easiest languages to learn?

Originally posted by hburrows83

Hardest? Either English, Mandarin Chinese, or Bassk.
Easiest? Probably Latin

“yei leeke tei” :smiley: I found it useful in many occasions :wink:

Yup, that comes in handy when you meet a nice girl! :smiley:
It is written “Jeg liker deg”, meaning I like you! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Trondos
[B]

Yup, that comes in handy when you meet a nice girl! :smiley:
It is written “Jeg liker deg”, meaning I like you! :slight_smile: [/B]
Yep i know what it means, just didn’t know how to spell it (never needed to write it down :wink: )

I noticed from another thread that you’re from Bergen, isn’t that a small fishing town up in the north (or was it Bodo - maybe i have mixed them up :stuck_out_tongue: )

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
…Hardest? Either English, Mandarin Chinese, or Bassk. …
You can add greek to that list too :wink:

I think learning different languages is one of the best things you can do…! Whatever…this night alcohol is flooding my brain.

F.P.

Originally posted by hburrows83

Hardest :

Esperanto

Klingon

Elfish

Easiest :

your native language

English

mumble

belevedre: english aint easy.
it looks easy. but it aint.

esperanto? LOL

im going to say , um, basque, is the hardest language. yes, basque…heheee

as for easiest, it all depends on what your natural language is. of course, the same applies for hardest, too.

Yep i know what it means, just didn’t know how to spell it (never needed to write it down :wink: )

Hehe, I kind of understood that you knew what it ment. I just wanted to tell the other people here what you should say if you meet a Norwegian girl this summer, or a Norwegain guy for that sake. :stuck_out_tongue:

I noticed from another thread that you’re from Bergen, isn’t that a small fishing town up in the north (or was it Bodo - maybe i have mixed them up :stuck_out_tongue: )You can add greek to that list too :wink:

I live in Bergen, which is on the west coast, and Norway`s second largest city.
Funny you mention Bodø. My mom is actually from there. :slight_smile:
It is quite far north, and there is some fishing activity, but it is not that small, ~30-40.000 people I think. That is not small by Norwegian means, but it is everywhere else in the world, I guess. :slight_smile:
In case you want to brush up on your geography knowledge about Norway, here is a map: