The I hate Smilies thread!

vbimport

Edit Take 2Linky/edit Take 2

Do you hate smilies?

Have you grown so accustomed to smilies that you now rely on smilies to determine the intention behind a post?

Do animated smilies peeve you off?

Do you hate it when people over-smilie a post & get offended when looking at hundreds of grinning, or is it smirking, faces staring right back out of the ether?

Would the world miss smilies if we wrapped them all up in a burlap bag & hurled them off a bridge to sink into the great abyss forever (until a marketter comes up with another “Original” idea)?

What’s you opinion on smilies?

Edit Voting is compulsory … this thread is not a democracy, besides it only takes a few seconds /edit

Yes, I know I have asked this before, but for many people, this IS new

Hate - No
Dislike - Yes
Determine intent - Yes
Animated - Dislike
Smilies are overused
Wouldn’t miss them at all
A necessary evil when face to face communications are not possible…

Did I pass? :slight_smile: :doh: :bow: :flower: :cool: :cop: :clap: :stuck_out_tongue: :a :rolleyes: :wink: :Z :kiss: :smiley: :confused: :disagree: :o :eek: :iagree: :bigsmile: :frowning: :sad:

Heh, tell us how you really feel debro…

I try to keep my usage to a minimum. I used to be a big fan of them, but over the years I’ve grown less fond of them.

However, here in an international community, I think they are far more useful. It can be difficult enough to interpret the true meaning of a post with language barriers and cultural differences, if smilies can help convey one’s intention then no harm in their use.

Oh If you insist …
It would have been easier if you had just requested that this poll was to be public before I posted it.

Debro’s winning picks of the day:
Smilies are my lifeline!, Smileys wear underwear on their head! , Smilies will be smited with thy might Ctrl-Alt-Del! , Smileys are like pussy cats! Cute! , Look at all those pretty colours! , 42! , Smilieys are under alien control. , Good onya Mate, Gonna join me in a few stubbies? & [i]Fine china option: No Bull!

[/i]

Oh? My bad. I was preoccupied looking for the option of intellectual properties and invalid M$ XP keys…

i think emoticons :smiley: really helps :doh: to enrich :flower: the :flower: written :cop: language :disagree: on :stuck_out_tongue: the :kiss: internets :eek: :clap:
Like :rolleyes: yeaj :cool:

Damn straight :iagree:

Where’s the “I wear pussycats on my head” option? :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s frightened he might start a trend. :slight_smile:

I think the smilies are making insanehat

I don’t know about sitting on head but I can give a scratching behind ear one if you want

Smileys can provide an emotional signal to a post, that would be missing or perhaps wrong if the post didn’t contain any smiley(s).

Smileys can also be counterproductive if used improperly.
One such example is when using the rolleyes smiley :rolleyes: in the wrong way, because it is a rather provoking smiley to use when directed at another poster.

Too many smileys can be annoying. :eek: :Z :o :bow: :bow: :bigsmile: :confused: :disagree: :sad: :cop: :a

I’m going back to sleep now, but first I have to let you know that the answer to the big question about life, the universe, and everything is: 42

…zzzzZZZZ…zzzZZzzZZZ :cool:

100% agreed…especially the bit about the rolleyes smiley - someone a little while ago (someone whose posts I enjoy) posted it in a post to me, and I was a little confused by it - thought the person was trying to wind me up, or I had offended them. So I thought it best to ignore the post.

The person then thought I was mad at them, which wasn’t the case at all!

All that because of one rather provoking smiley…

but what’s the question?

ps, I like smileys. I don’t think I use them excessively…mainly to show that I’m kidding because I can be pretty sarcastic at times

I can’t tell from your post whether you know what I’m talking about and just continuing the joke, or if you just don’t know what the mad dragon is on about.

For anyone who is wondering about the “42” answer, please read this article.

Egggggsactleeee!

Full marks in all maths exams if you answer: 42 :wink:

no no i know what you’re talking about…it was a joke.

I own all of the books, then when they put out the Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide (all the books in one) I had to buy that and I re-read them again.

I’m a big Douglas Adams fan. I’m actually in the middle of The Salmon of Doubt right now.

Smilies are lame. Get some frownies up in herrrrr.