The "How does your Samsung scan" Thread

“Calibrate” your Sammy!
(Or better: cpmpare it to your other scanning drives)

Grab a disc and scan it with your Samsung and another “known good” scanning drive.

Why that?
At the moment, Samsung DVD writers are not considered as reliable scanners in general. (This at least applies to the 18x series). This thread might help gathering more information about the scanning capabilities compared to other drives.

The Rules:
Post a scan made with your Samsung and your other scanning drive.
Use the same software for that.
Also mention if a drive is externally connected (USB/IDE bridges seem to supress some scanning data, so there are too few errors reported.)

Now go ahead :slight_smile:

SH-S203B SB01 vs. SH-S182D SB06 (USB) vs. Benq DW-1650 BCDC vs. Liteon SHM-165P6S MS0R (USB)

Fake MCC003 with some scratch or similar contamination.
(For comparision: Real stuff looks like this)

Comment:
Both USB connected drives report too few errors, the Samsung is even worse than the Liteon.
Comment #2: Scanning @4x with the 182 looks better

SH-182M SB05 vs. LiteOn 20A1S 9L08 vs. LiteOn 20A1H LLOC

Verbatim dvd+r 16x MII (crap batch) @8x on LiteOn 20A1S

Conclusion: believe that this samsung is pretty accurate. (and MII suck ASS)

How about this ? 203B vs Benq DW2000@LiteOn 20A1P .

Very accurate , may I say ? :bigsmile:

Thanks [I]mciahel,[/I] but what more precisely did you have in mind when naming this thread “Calibrate…”.
Sounds kinda misleading to me. :confused:

When I joined this forum, the first basics I learned from [I]rdgrimes[/I] (now retired moderator) and [I]OC-Freak[/I] was; never to compare scans from different drives.
And if this is done anyway, make sure you add information about; ECC blocks sampling, scanning interval, dropped samples and such.

I think we all would been much better of just having another Weissbier. I already had quite a few this evening. :smiley:

Thanks.

[I]BTW minaelromany,[/I] you are (same as I am) quite off topic. S18* drives are explicit choosen to be compared… :stuck_out_tongue:

At the moment, Samsung DVD writers are not considered as reliable scanners in general. ([B]This at least applies to the 18x series[/B]).

@pinto2 it’s a free for all nowadays. Has been for awhile :doh:

[quote=pinto2;1938366]I think we all would been much better of just having another Weissbier. I already had quite a few this evening. :D[/quote] Don’t drink and calibrate your drive! :wink:

[I]Off topic[/I][QUOTE=DrageMester;1938378]Don’t drink and calibrate your drive! ;)[/QUOTE]I didn’t manage to “calibrate” either my S182 (S184M) or mine S203* Sammys, so I just faced the fact and had another beer… :bigsmile:

Okay, my father (above) didn’t want to post attachments here, but I’ll.
What matters, pie or pif’s. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ValHall64;1938402]Okay, my father (above) didn’t want to post attachments here, but I’ll.
What matters, pie or pif’s. :)[/QUOTE]Are you pinto2’s boy?

Yep. :iagree:

Almost 15 and up late. Man, tomorrow i’ll have to excuse to him. :o
I used his computer…

[QUOTE=ValHall64;1938410]Yep. :iagree:

Almost 15 and up late. Man, tomorrow i’ll have to excuse to him. :o
I used his computer…[/QUOTE]:cool: nice to meet you. My 14 year old daughter is learning also. I promise i will not tell him.

182D SB04 vs BenQ 1640(internal despite external firmware) & LiteOn 160P6S.

203B SB01 vs BenQ 1640(internal despite external firmware) & LiteOn 20A1P.

Hi,[QUOTE=pinto2;1938366]Thanks [I]mciahel,[/I] but what more precisely did you have in mind when naming this thread “Calibrate…”.
Sounds kinda misleading to me. :confused:[/quote]Admitted. I changed the thread title (hopefully it’s better now)

When I joined this forum, the first basics I learned from [I]rdgrimes[/I] (now retired moderator) and [I]OC-Freak[/I] was; never to compare scans from different drives.
But you can do that in order get some picture of your scanning drive, not for judgig about burn quality;)

And if this is done anyway, make sure you add information about; ECC blocks sampling, scanning interval, dropped samples and such.
Anyone is invited to do so :slight_smile:

I think we all would been much better of just having another Weissbier. I already had quite a few this evening. :smiley:
I don’t like Weißbier at all :bigsmile: I prefer a good Pils instead :slight_smile:

[I]BTW minaelromany,[/I] you are (same as I am) quite off topic. S18* drives are explicit choosen to be compared… :stuck_out_tongue:
Well, we [I]believe [/I]the 18x drives are unreliable scanners, but there might be examples for drives that are indeed comparable to other drives.

Michael

[quote=ValHall64;1938402]What matters, pie or pif’s. :)[/quote] Both matter.

PIF (Parity Inner Failures) are worse than PIE (Parity Inner Errors) because they are errors that were not corrected by the first layer of error correction (PI), so they need to be corrected by the second layer of error correction (PO).

[quote=mciahel;1938691]Well, we [I]believe [/I]the 18x drives are unreliable scanners, but there might be examples for drives that are indeed comparable to other drives.

Michael[/quote]My 182M is comparable to my DRU-840A which is comparable to my 20A1P <=> 20A1H <=>810A <=>1693S. I’ll get around to showing this. [For the time being, you can see scans made by my 182M scattered around.] Burns from every drive EXCEPT the DRU-840A generally scanned closely across the drives. [182M hated scanning burns from the DRU-840A, as you can tell from the DRU-840A thread].

[BTW, if my lack of brand names confuse anyone: Samsung, Sony/Samsung, LiteOn, LiteOn, Sony/BenQ, LiteOn–in that order. :p]

Okay here is the same disc burned on one of my Samsung S203B’s and
scanned between 2 of my Samsung drives and my Liteon 160P6S drive.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1938276]“Calibrate” your Sammy!
(Or better: cpmpare it to your other scanning drives)

Grab a disc and scan it with your Samsung and another “known good” scanning drive.

The Rules:
Post a scan made with your Samsung and your other scanning drive.
Use the same software for that.
Also mention if a drive is externally connected (USB/IDE bridges seem to supress some scanning data, so there are too few errors reported.)

[/QUOTE]

This was quite a revelation. The disc chosen was DVD-R, TY media, 16x variety, burned almost two years ago. Drives used for scanning were my external Samsung SH-184M USB model, and a Lite-On internal model, LH-20A1L.

The 16x TYs are not my favorite, and I’m used to high P1 errors from them. However, I’ve never seen one scan as badly as it did just now, with my Samsung SH-184M external USB drive (it shows up in my system as SH-182M, but it is the external 184 model).

The Lite-On scan of the same disc is more typical of what I used to get with TY-03 media, when scanning with my no longer owned NEC-3550A drive (the drive used to burn this disc). The P1 errors, when scanned with the NEC drive, used to be consistently higher with this type of disc than the Lite-On though, averaging as many as 1,000,000 or higher for each gigabyte scanned.

@William5916
Try scanning at other speeds like 4X or 12X and see the difference. My 182D gives ‘better looking’ scans at 12X. In any case, the 18X series drives gave quite variable scanning results, depending on your luck. My 182M is doing quite alright but the 182D and F scans are as horrible as your 184M’s.