The Great Home DVD Player Survey

Does your home DVD player support DVD+R or -R, or maybe even both ?

What I would like to know is which home DVD players are out there, and which support DVD-R, which DVD+R, based on your own user experiences.

I would like to know :

1. what media you used to copy a movie (MID code)
  2. which brand/model writer you used to burn it
  3. what the model name of your home DVD player is.

Both successes and failures are worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Marco
BTC Europe Support

While you’re at it, it’s also worth mentioning which movies you copied, and which program you used to copy it

Hello,

I wrote my DVDs with Firmwares 0037-0039 and tried to play them on my Yamakawa 715. (with Matsushita drive - they used diffent drives for this player)
The source were some Buffy-DVDs (Season 6, but I don’t think that matters at all)

The first disc was a Platinum DVD-R, which played back without problems.
I had a few optodisck001 DVD-R, I could partly play back. But for these discs, my Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM with Nero CD-/DVD-Speed showed errors on the discs. Same result with my Tayio Yuden from Fuji and my MCC from Verbatim.
A few DVD+R discs (Speer Data, don’t remember the MID-codes) were readable with my Toshiba 1612, but not with my Yamakawa. The same goes for DVD+RW with the RiDATA disc that was supplied with this drive.

Unfortunately I was not able to test DVD-RW because 2 out of 2 burns were unsuccessful and the discs could not be used afterwards. (Princo and PrimeOn - the only discs I could get at all)

I used several Programs to write the DVDs like DVD Decrypter, Nero or Pinnacle Instant Copy, but that made no difference. Maybe my player accepts DVD+R(W) with booktype set to DVD-ROM, but lacking firmware support for that, I was not able to test. :rolleyes: