The grammatical thread

I hope that this is not the wrong forum where to post this.

This thread is intended to help people to cope with english language.

There are many people who primary language is not english, but english is the main language of the international section. So happen that someone could have difficulty to post a message in the forum in a comprensible manner. To help these users I opened this thread, in which is possible to post questions about english language.

Anyone can help other people to improve their english.

My first question is on verbs. A question that I often ask in the forum is related on the media used for burnings. What is the correct way to post this question?

1. What media did you used?
  2. What media did you use?
  3. What media do you used?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but verbs can be a nightmare for who write in a foregin language.

Thanks to anyone will help :slight_smile:

I know that! Number 2) :cool:

Did I win something? :stuck_out_tongue:

Talking seriously, this is a nice idea [I]geno[/I]. :clap: :clap:

ET

A big thanks :bigsmile:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

:frowning: No english user was able to answer to this question

I would have answered but I was at work at the time :frowning: !!

Strunk & White’s Elements of Style: http://www.bartleby.com/141/ (not complete but has some of the common grammatical errors)

This is a good idea that’s not limited to those whose first language is not English.

From what I’ve seen here there are many native English speakers who could learn something, hopefully my grammar here is perfect.

1. What media did you used? not correct…but change the used to use.and it would be a question about the past- did you use…
  2. just answered that ^
  3. this also can be corrected by saying What media do you use? which would be present tense…and what is going on now as opposed to question 1

oh yeah and the word you is singular…which takes the singular verb form…

Good thread idea :slight_smile:

However, I am soooo the wrong person to be posting in a “grammar” thread :bigsmile:

The correct answer is number 2 :slight_smile:

Nice. :bow:

the tense ‘used’ is only used when its a statement i think, like;
‘I used’ a cd-r
’he/she used’

It has to go after the person you are talking about, he/she/we/they etc. If its a question thats talking about past continuous (she was doing it for a long time)
its What media did she use?
If its just simple past (i think lol) as in she was only doing it for a short while, then it’s, What media HAS she used?

edit

What media HAVE you USED ; i.e IN THE PAST/OVER the years/ etc
What media DID you USE; i.e LAST night, LAST week etc

i was fortunate enough to have a hard-ass english teacher (had been teaching for over 50 years) for 1 year of highschool that made us all use Elements of Style. we had a daily 1 page writing assignment where you got an F if he found more than 2 grammar mistakes, regardless of content. hated it then, happy now that i have decent grammar (not on web forums though :o).

just to elaborate on greg’s post above, here are the common verb tenses and example sentences:

Simple Present
I study English everyday.

Simple Past
Two years ago, I studied English in England.

Simple Future
If you are having problems, I will help you study English.
I am going to study English next year.

Present Continuous
I am studying English now.

Past Continuous

I was studying English when you called yesterday.

Future Continuous

I will be studying English when you arrive tonight.
I am going to be studying English when you arrive tonight.

Present Perfect
I have studied English in several different countries.

Past Perfect
I had studied a little English before I moved to the U.S.

Future Perfect
I will have studied every tense by the time I finish this course.
I am going to have studied every tense by the time I finish this course.

Present Perfect Continuous
I have been studying English for five years.

Past Perfect Continuous
I had been studying English for five years before I moved to the U.S.

Future Perfect Continuous
I will have been studying English for over two hours by the time you arrive.
I am going to have been studying English for over two hours by the time you arrive.

Thanks to all for your answers :slight_smile:

It can seems dumb for who know its primary language, but writing in a foreign language can be really difficult sometimes.

Thanks again :bow: :bow:

English grammar is probably the most difficult of any language due to all the exceptions to “basic” rules.

Also Italian grammar is a real pain; one of the worst nightmares is coniugating a verb :sad:

here is something my cousin has a problem with

their - Means something that belongs to a person you are talking about
there - Means a Place

I want this apposed to I want that;

I tried to explain it… but cant find the words to explain it

Someone try to explain why you can say in a shop i want that, and cant say i want this

Have you ever tried to learn any non-Western language?

I plan to learn Japanese… eventually

I hope this can help some people … http://ajax.parish.ath.cx/translator/
It translates from and to in these languages : English, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, and French … I have used it a bit, but it can get the gramma wrong , but at least it get the words right.

Actually no. It occurred years for me to learn “written” english decently, but it was relatively easy because there are many similarities with italian language. Both are neolatin languages, with a common root.

A non-Western language will be really hard to learn for me. I admire you very much to be able to understand a so different language :iagree:

Hey me to :stuck_out_tongue: … I got the Pimslur Japanish I & II … maby III to in mp3 format , but haven got the time yet to go throu them.