The Golf Thread for 2008

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2048515]If I just would stop hitting the occasional tee shot sideways into the brush I’d be a lot happier. Two penalty strokes due to that. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I keep doing that as well.

I’m proud to say that my iron shots are always very straight (whether I’ve aimed them in the right direction or not is another matter :)) and my drives tend to be too but I always get the odd unexplained slice creeping in.

The last time I was out after hitting that amazing drive at the par 4 I hit a shocker of a slice on the next hole.

It bounced off the roof of a building to the right of the fairway, bounced back at 90 degrees and ended up stuck in a grassy bank to the left of the fairway.

Nett gain 20 yards. :o:o

The guys killed themselves laughing. :slight_smile:

Then I played a perfect three wood and knocked it about 270 yards (the fairway was quite downhill).

Why couldn’t I have hit my tee shot like that??? :slight_smile:

Bizarre or what!?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Well my Sunday was interesting. The par for the course was 72 and I shot 92. For some dam reason my ball liked to fine those deep sand bunkers. :frowning:

Oh well, better next time.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2051081]Well my Sunday was interesting. The par for the course was 72 and I shot 92. For some dam reason my ball liked to fine those deep sand bunkers. :frowning:

Oh well, better next time.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

I’m not too bad out of bunkers and have improved dramatically since I started playing.

I had near disaster one day where on one hole I ended up in all the bunkers on that hole.

My shot towards the green from the fairway bunker was a fantastic strike and the only thing wrong with it was a bad bounce.

I splashed out to two feet though and salvaged a par.

Couldn’t help feeling I’d beaten the odds. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[U]New Exercise to Prepare for the Summer GOLFING Season[/U]

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can.

Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a
100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I am at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I had a good day on the course yesterday. One of those days where you feel like you can actually play the game, plan your shots and execute a few of them. Most of the time I’m working hard just to make clean contact, but the rare days when you have control…those are ones to savor.

My score wasn’t extraordinary, a 79 on a par 72, but I wasn’t worried too much about mechanics of the swing, and that is an unusual day in itself. The shots were going where I aimed them. I felt I could almost shoot par that day, though the score didn’t reflect that. 11 pars and 7 bogeys, with reasonable chances for birdies on 8 holes…just didn’t convert any of them…but only had 28 putts on the day.

The hole I’ll remember from the round was the 16th…this hole has my number because it is a severe dogleg left, and I can’t draw the ball off the tee. I hit dead straight down the middle, but ran out of fairway and wound up right behind a large pine tree. No shot at the green, so I punched out to the fairway. Hit 9i to within 3 ft of the hole and saved par. Its the recommended play…but actually executing it is another matter. Lots of fun when you can pull this stuff off.

So my game has gone down the tubes since I last posted. Somehow I have developed a case of the “shanks” the last three times I’ve played. My last time out I hit 4 shanked shots, and still managed a 10 over 81…short game saved my butt.

I think I’ve cured it in practice. I have been letting my weight shift towards the ball as I start my downswing. Just have to maintain my posture and keep the weight towards the heels a little bit. It sure inhibits me though…can’t seem to get full distance. And now I have to get it to work on the course.

The most memorable thing about this last round was one of the guys I got paired up with. He was 80 yrs old and his average drive was somewhere around 265yds…and he hit every one straight down the center. He outhit me most of the day. Apparently he was close to being a scratch golfer for most of his golfing career. Great to see he could still play so well at 80.

Love the game and slowly getting better!

Finally had a round good enough to mention. I’ve been working hard to get rid of the sideways shanked shots and didn’t have any today. Shot 78 on a par 71 course, so that’s the really good news.

Bad news was the uncanny ability of my golf ball to find a tree or shrub to hide behind. And we don’t have all that many of the durn things!
Had to hit sideways twice, and had two more holes where I had no shot at the green on my approach…just had to advance it as far as I could.

The course was wet today (!?!) We haven’t had rain for weeks, but I got on the first tee just ten minutes after a rain storm. Killed my distance…it shows me just how short I really hit the ball without the long rolls I’m accustomed to out here in W Tex.

Ugh…shot a 49 on a par 3, par 29 course…going into the last hole I had a 37…but had to take 3 drops for lost balls…I suck:iagree:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2080911]Finally had a round good enough to mention. I’ve been working hard to get rid of the sideways shanked shots and didn’t have any today. Shot 78 on a par 71 course, so that’s the really good news.

Bad news was the uncanny ability of my golf ball to find a tree or shrub to hide behind. And we don’t have all that many of the durn things!
Had to hit sideways twice, and had two more holes where I had no shot at the green on my approach…just had to advance it as far as I could.

The course was wet today (!?!) We haven’t had rain for weeks, but I got on the first tee just ten minutes after a rain storm. Killed my distance…it shows me just how short I really hit the ball without the long rolls I’m accustomed to out here in W Tex.[/QUOTE]

That’s really good Kerry so I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself.

You have to expect your fair share of unlucky breaks no matter how well you’re playing and everyone’s tempted to enter the ‘if only’ zone.

I just wish I could play anywhere near that good bad luck or not! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2081387]Ugh…shot a 49 on a par 3, par 29 course…going into the last hole I had a 37…but had to take 3 drops for lost balls…I suck:iagree:[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling yet amazingly I can’t help coming back for more.

Addictive isn’t it! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Ok, a little better outing this time…shot a 98 on a par 70…still not hitting my irons worth a damn except for my lob wedge…but a couple of holes I hit my 5 wood within a few feet of the flag and I was chipping and putting decent for me anyways. Driving was still was my usual slice for the most part, hit maybe 6 fairways. Thought it was going to be a good day when off the first tee my drive was dead center and then hit 5 wood to 5 feet, but it was an up and down day after that.

You broke 100. Good deal. I have no idea how you’re hitting a lob wedge best though. I’m terrible with high lofted wedges myself.

One great round…two mediocre ones. Shot 76 on a par 72 course I play fairly often, and that’s a new personal best for me on that course. All the putts went in on the front nine, and most of them on the back.

But I’ve reverted to my normal level of play since then. That’s ok. That 76 was the first time under 78 in several years for me, so that’s a highlight for the year I think.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2083900]You broke 100. Good deal. I have no idea how you’re hitting a lob wedge best though. I’m terrible with high lofted wedges myself.[/QUOTE]

You should see me hit a sand-wedge thinking it’s an 8I. Went on the green but took an unconventional way to get there.:doh:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2087273]One great round…two mediocre ones. Shot 76 on a par 72 course I play fairly often, and that’s a new personal best for me on that course. All the putts went in on the front nine, and most of them on the back.

But I’ve reverted to my normal level of play since then. That’s ok. That 76 was the first time under 78 in several years for me, so that’s a highlight for the year I think.[/QUOTE]

Great job Kerry. 76…drooooollllllllll…

[quote=Kerry56;2087273]One great round…two mediocre ones. Shot 76 on a par 72 course I play fairly often, and that’s a new personal best for me on that course. All the putts went in on the front nine, and most of them on the back.

[/quote]

Nice…very nice. :clap:

I could only sqeeze 9 holes in last night after work. Shot 41 on a par 36. But, i’m real familiar with that course.

Here’s a story i just came across > http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/golf_experts/post/Punk-kids-drill-back-to-back-aces-at-Sawgrass?urn=golf,94076

I’d settle for just one of those myself. :slight_smile:

Look at the number of negative comments it’s generated though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I broke 100 at the Navasink River CC, where they hold some Womens Pro Championships. I think 97 was my best and I lost 7 balls in the water. It got so bad that the people behind me and my friends were getting mad.:o