The Golf Thread for 2008

I’m done golfing now…it was an adventure of epic proportion…braving the brush to find all the balls I shanked and such. Me and my friends (conveniently) forgot to grab a score card, so we didn’t keep score. To the best of my ability, I got one par, 2-3 bogeys, and 5-6-7 baaaaad scores…it was not pretty at all :eek:

I tried golf but was hopeless at it. I guess i don’t have the patience.
Hubby plays and the area where we live has loads of golf courses, including the oldest golf club in the world (apparently), which is just a few miles away.

http://www.golfeastlothian.com/golf-courses.asp?course=MUIR

Maybe i’ll take it up again when i get older. :):stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2024657]I tried golf but was hopeless at it. I guess i don’t have the patience.
Hubby plays and the area where we live has loads of golf courses, including the oldest golf club in the world (apparently), which is just a few miles away.

http://www.golfeastlothian.com/golf-courses.asp?course=MUIR

Maybe i’ll take it up again when i get older. :):stuck_out_tongue: :D[/QUOTE]Dee there are some very beautiful golf courses there and in Ireland. Very scenic for some great eye candy :cool:

They look great on my HDTV and HD DVR Sat box :iagree:

[QUOTE=Bob;2024662]Dee there are some very beautiful golf courses there and in Ireland. Very scenic for some great eye candy :cool:

They look great on my HDTV and HD DVR Sat box :iagree:[/QUOTE]

That’s about as close as I’ll get to some of those.

The really good courses have enormous green fees.

There’s a world class golf course (Royal County Down) only about 10 miles away from me and the Walker Cup was held there last year.

During the summer though it’s the equivalent of $350 a round at the weekend.

For that much I’d be expecting to get a free set of clubs thrown in as well! :):slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Golf | Better Than Sex

Eighteen Reasons Why Golf Is Better Than Sex…

1. You don’t have to sneak your golf magazines into the house

2. If you are having trouble with golf, it is perfectly acceptable to pay a professional to show you how to improve your technique

3. The Ten Commandments don’t say anything about golf.

4. If your partner takes pictures or videotapes of you golfing, you don’t have to worry about them showing up on the Internet when you become famous.

5. Your golf partner won’t keep asking questions about other partners you’ve golfed with.

6. It’s perfectly respectable to golf with a total stranger.

7. When you see a really good golfer, you don’t have to feel guilty about imagining the two of you golfing together

8. If your regular golf partner isn’t available, s/he won’t object if you golf with someone else.

9. Nobody will ever tell you that you will go blind if you golf by yourself.

10. When dealing with a golf pro, you never have to wonder if he is really an undercover cop.

11. You don’t have to go to a sleazy shop in a seedy neighbourhood to buy golf stuff.

12. You can have a golf calendar on your wall at the office, tell golf jokes and invite co- workers to golf with you without getting sued for harassment.

13. There is no such thing as a “golf transmitted disease.”

14. If you want to watch golf on television, you don’t have to subscribe to a premium cable channel.

15. Nobody expects you to promise to golf with just one partner for the rest of your life

16. Nobody expects you to give up golfing if your partner loses interest in the game.

17. You don’t have to be a newlywed to plan a vacation primarily for the enjoyment of golf.

18. Your golf partner will never say, “What ? We just golfed last week! Is that all you ever think about?”

Huh, 18 cool “reasons”.

But is golf better than ‘real sex’??

:smiley:

I’ll have to get back to ya on that one

[QUOTE=chef;2027707]
But is golf better than ‘real sex’??

:D[/QUOTE]

It depends on who it’s with! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Sexy_Southerner;2027795]I’ll have to get back to ya on that one[/QUOTE]

:o :flower:

Went to play one of the harder courses in the area this last time I played. It is a par 70, with some killer par 4’s that play at least a half stroke harder for me. I just can’t hit it far enough to be comfortable on a few of the holes.

One of those holes is the 10th, and is only 396 from the regular tees, but it plays into the prevailing wind and is straight uphill. So it feels like a 450-465 yd par 4 to me. I hit driver, 3 wood into a fairly brisk wind on it and still wound up a couple yds short of the green.

Had a pretty good day until the last few holes…was only 6 over after 15, but scored a double, a par and a triple to finish 11 over 81. My driver decided it wanted to explore the only two areas of danger on 16 and 18 for some reason. Two penalty strokes going down the stretch really puts a dent into your score.

On the bright side, I did a lot better than the last three times I’ve played that course, and only had 28 putts on some notoriously fast and highly sloped greens.

Have played a couple more times this month…shot 78 on a par 71 and managed 81 on a scruffy course that is the nearest 18 hole course to me. That blasted course has TINY greens, none of them the same speed.

Biggest problem lately has been the wind. We’ve had 25-35mph virtually every other day. And no rain, so dust storms and wildfires have been bad in the area.

I’ve been walking the course when playing and am just about to get back in shape. Yes, I know, round is a shape…just not a good one.

Played a par 3 course near me on Monday and shot a 46 from the back tees (still short on most holes). I think I have my slice corrected somewhat (finally, after 3 years).

Only had 3 truly bad shots: a wormburner about 60 yards past the green with a 8 iron that went left and hit the cart path, an approach from about 65-70 yards out that I bladed (ended up taking a 6 or 7 on that hole, chip shot from behind the green took a weird bounce and rolled across the green into a sandtrap), and a 4 hybrid that I pushed into the trees…everything else pretty much went the direction I wanted. Now to work on chipping and putting since I might be able to get to the green in less than 4 shots.:rolleyes:

Drive for show and putt to go!:iagree:

Probably will play 18 today if I ever get some sleep and it doesn’t rain…will post results if they are too embarrassing.

Was out playing last night after work and hit the drive of a lifetime (well, for a duffer like me it was). :slight_smile:

I drove a par 4 with 277 yards to the front of the green.

The ball went straight as a die like a laser guided missile, bounced on and rolled to 10 feet.

Then I three putted.

ARRGGHHHH!!! :rolleyes:

Don’t you just love golf. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2045354]Was out playing last night after work and hit the drive of a lifetime (well, for a duffer like me it was). :slight_smile:

I drove a par 4 with 277 yards to the front of the green.

The ball went straight as a die like a laser guided missile, bounced on and rolled to 10 feet.

Then I three putted.

ARRGGHHHH!!! :rolleyes:

Don’t you just love golf. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, reminds my of when I drove within about 30 yards of a 325yd par 4 and subsequently duffed my pitch.:doh:

Mixed results though…I’m beginning to think I’m only a 9 hole player.:eek: Front 9 = 44, Back 9 = 53, total = 97. Had the front 9 of my short golf career, 4 pars, 4 bogeys, and a triple. The back nine I made up for the nice front and had 3 triples, 3 doubles, and 3 bogeys. Err, I hate this game!:a Every good shot on the front I countered with one equally as bad on the back.:o

:bigsmile: i’ve had games i was over 100 so…:o

I have my first 18 holes for this year coming on Sunday, Hopefully it’s not raining.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=Bob;2048481]:bigsmile: i’ve had games i was over 100 so…:o[/QUOTE]

Not talking about age old man.:stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck on Sunday Platinumsword.

I played my regular course the last time out and had a fairly good day for me. Shot 79 with 3 birdies and a chance for an eagle on the short par 5. Hit a couple of approach shots within two feet of the hole that day. :slight_smile:

If I just would stop hitting the occasional tee shot sideways into the brush I’d be a lot happier. Two penalty strokes due to that. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2045365]Yep, reminds my of when I drove within about 30 yards of a 325yd par 4 and subsequently duffed my pitch.:doh:[/QUOTE]

LOL I can identify entirely with that.

You certainly need to have a sense of humour when playing golf. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]