The Golf Thread for 2008

vbimport

Yes, its me again. Talking about golf. I thought about reviving the old thread, but what the heck. Lets live a little and start out fresh. :slight_smile:

It seems my golf skills have deteriorated a bit. I’m shooting low to mid 80’s right now for the most part, but this thread starts with a horrendous round at Hogan Park in Midland, TX.

Cool temps and the wind was howling across W. Tex…20mph with numerous gusts up to about 35. This is right on the edge of what I will play in, and I probably should have just turned around and gone home, but I dove in.

Bogey, triple bogey, double, etc etc. The winds were eating everything I hit for lunch and spitting em out sideways. The greens were rock hard, and completely dried out. Chips sped like little white race cars across the greens. Even the putts were being pushed offline by the wind.

After 9 shell shocked holes, I was 14 over par. Worst nine holes I’ve played in the last eight years or so. The guy who was playing alongside me was a 5 handicapper and he was 8 over at that point. Brutal golf.

The only thing left to try for was to break 90 somehow. Its a par 71 course, and only 35 on the back nine, so I had to come up with no worse than 4 over par on this half of the course. Started hitting closer, but the putts wouldn’t fall…burned three edges, pushed to four over after 6 holes on the back. It all came down to the last three holes.

Great drive on 16…hit a bump and run to within a foot of the hole. Birdy.
17 got lucky and made an up and down. 18…hit behind the trees, but very long. Gap wedge over the trees and on the green to make par.

Hardest I’ve fought on a golf course in years. Final score was an unspectacular 88, but I was darn proud of it in those conditions.

So, this thread is intended for stories of glory, humiliation, and everything in between on your golf outings. Hit em good guys. :slight_smile:

I played last week with 2 co-workers and one of their girlfriends. I played like poo. My putts were all about an inch of to the left (seriously, I had at least 10 that if they had been an inch right would have had a very good chance of falling). 1st 18 I’ve played this year. Couldn’t hit my sand wedge solid for nothing. I’m not even going to tell anyone my score, but it was over 100.:o

The best thing is that happened was one guy I was playing with almost got castrated by the others GF. His putter saved him as he was holding it one the green while she tried to get out of a sandtrap and instead of a nice little pitch she hit a line drive straight at him. A few holes later she almost decapitated me (cleared my head by about 6 inches) as our balls were side by side about 15 feet apart and I was setting up to hit and she toed it badly. Funny day for sure.

I played wii-golf & over a 9 hole course came in 3 under par … YAY!

I leave golf to tigeeeeeeer

Hey jhtalisman. Good to see you’re still playing. And you do have to be careful around beginning golfers…they can hit balls in directions no one can predict.

My favorite story about bladed sand shots comes from a good friend of mine. He shot one out of the bunker straight at the guy who was just pulling out the flagstick. The ball hit him square in the chest and fell into the hole. :bigsmile: Perfectly legal shot…also left a bruise.

My best one was hit out of the bunker going 90mph and heading for the woods, when it hit in the middle of the flag, stopped dead and dropped next to the hole. :doh: Luck does play a big part sometimes. :slight_smile:

I only drive by golf courses any more.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2014249]

My best one was hit out of the bunker going 90mph and heading for the woods, when it hit in the middle of the flag, stopped dead and dropped next to the hole. :doh: Luck does play a big part sometimes. :)[/QUOTE]

I’ve had to very good luck in the past…like teeing off on a short par 3 and hitting a tree to the left of the green and getting a good ricochet to middle of the green (2 putted for par). Too bad the hole was at the back. That was this past birthday for me. Nice little present from the golf gods eh?:bigsmile:

Bogey, triple bogey, double, etc etc.

If you are ever in SC look me up, we can high five over all the spectacular shot making. :slight_smile:

I’ve not played more than a few times a year since my boy was born 4 years ago, I’m hoping in a few years to get him out there with me so I can start playing again and get him started in the sport.

I played today amidst the crowds on a Saturday. Winds were high again and I sucked for 12 holes. Then played brilliantly for the last 6, ending the day with a 6i to within 3 ft on the 18th green and made birdie.

This game is going to give me ulcers.

Shot 82 in perfect conditions. Only notable thing about this round was my last drive. I hit so far right I wound up in front of a an enormous pile of brush and weeds. No way to advance the ball, so I had to hit the ball backwards towards the tee! Finished with a double bogey. Rats!

I’ve had three freaky shots in my ‘career’ that have amazed and amused me in one way or another.

One was fairly recently on a hole with a river crossing the fairway. It’s a par 4 that’s impossible reach in one and a tight hole so it’s one of those risk/reward scenarios where you either lay up short of the water or try and carry with an easier second shot.

I chose to lay up and hit the most perfect 4 iron I’ve ever hit in my life. It rose up into the air as straight as an arrow and seemed to stay there forever.

When I walked down the fairway I was amazed not to be able to see my ball in the centre of the fairway and couldn’t find it anywhere. I didn’t think it was possible for me to reach the water from the tee with a 4 iron but was forced to assume it must have.

Then a colleague who had crossed the bridge while the rest of us were looking for my ball shouted over ‘Hey is this your ball?’. Turns out I’d carried the water!

215 yards with a 4 iron despite landing in an upslope in thick grass!

That mightn’t be a lot for a professional but for a duffer like me that’s off the scale.

I got some stick from the other guys but you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face after that one. :slight_smile:

I have to go now but I’ll maybe post details of the other two favourites later.

[B]Wombler[/B]

This is the only way I play.

I’m doin my first round of golf tomorrow. I’m looking forward to hitting the links…though i probably only have time to play 9 :frowning:

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2024008]This is the only way I play.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I can certainly identify with that one! :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

The second amazing shot that sticks in my mind was about 20 years ago on a course that no longer exists in it’s original layout.

A 250 odd yard dog leg par three with a river running diagonally across the fairway towards the green.

It was reachable in one even with the clubs I used in those days (a set that dated from the 1930’s that my dad had given me) but a risky shot as the river was close to the green at this point.

The alternative was to lay up left where because of the diagonal angle of the river it was very easy to clear and there was a large landing area giving you the prime angle to pitch onto the green.

Anyway I went for it, topped it slightly and made a complete mess of the shot. The ball disappeared and I feared the worst while my partner played a cracking lay up shot to the left.

The river was at the bottom of a man made channel with very steep banks (genuinely about 60 degrees) covered in thick lush grass.

My mate chipped on to the green while I was looking for my ball and I found it kind of buried in the face of the bank about a foot up from the river.

We were playing matchplay so I had to have a go at it but I could hardly get any stance at all and at that stage hadn’t a clue what way to hit it.

The bank of the river was like a wall in front of me and even though I’m tall it the top of it was at least a few feet above my head so I couldn’t see over it at all.

In the end I decided that the only thing I could do was hit a sand wedge along the line of the slope, literally as hard as I could, and hope to get the ball out.

So I stood with one leg in the river and my other leg so high up (due to the bank) that I could hardly balance and belted it.

Because of following the steep slope and the added loft of the club the ball came out like a rocket almost vertically and I shouted up to my partner to watch out as he was standing nearby on the green.

He shouted back it’s going to go in the hole as I was climbing the bank and I thought he was having me on but reached the top just in time to see the ball drop. :):):slight_smile:

That’s over 20 years ago and I still smile when I think of it.

I got a birdie from the river and won the hole. The banter was unbelievable after that.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Great story Wombler. :slight_smile:

Two more weeks of physical therapy on the left elbow which was shattered and replaced with 5 steel plates and I will be back at the range trying to learn or relean a golf swing.

The only time I feel totally relaxed is either on the course or on the Harley and right now both of them are out. LOL

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2024366]Great story Wombler. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kerry. I didn’t know whether you guys would be interested in that sort of thing or not but the thread seemed to be going that way so I thought why not. :slight_smile:

Here’s the third story about the luckiest shot I ever hit, with a bit of background first.

I first played golf about 25 years ago with a school friend of mine but only played very rarely for about 5 years or so.

My next door neighbour heard I’d played in the past and my wife foolishly told him I already had a set of clubs. :slight_smile:

Nothing would satisfy him but that I’d play golf. You can imagine the scenario ‘sure but you’ve got the clubs already you might as well play’ etc etc.

I literally hadn’t hit a ball in 20 years and my clubs were a set of blades from the 1930’s which had been given to my dad 30 years earlier by a one armed professional!

I knew I’d be abysmally bad and was worried that these guys would be pretty good and probably thinking ‘Who the hell is this idiot and why did you bring him along?’.

Reluctantly I eventually yielded to pressure so I turned up with my old clubs and twenty year old shoes looking like something out of ‘Antiques Roadshow’. :slight_smile:

My play was as bad as expected but I got on really well with the guys and the banter was entertaining.

We reached this unusual par 3 where the tee is up very high. A steep sloping fairway leads down to a lake and then another steep section of fairway rises up to the green which is not much lower than the tee but enough of a height difference to make you wonder about club selection.

My heart immediately sank when I saw it as I’d been hitting stuff all over the place and I felt certain that I was bound to end up in the water.

I was last to tee off and as It happens this hole was a catalogue of disasters.

The other guys had been playing really well up until this point. Brian teed off first and hit the worst shot he’d hit all day which went straight for the water. Remarkably it stopped about 6 inches short of the water prompting jokes and remarks about how lucky he’d been.

Warren teed off next and again made a complete mess of the shot slicing it out to the right. Luckily for him it landed on the narrow walkway at the side of the lake where the players walk around it to get to the green otherwise he’d have been in the water.

My turn had arrived. I felt really nervous, tensed up, and hit a terrible shot that went straight as a bullet for the lake.

The other guys started to laugh as soon as I’d hit it.

In the middle of the lake there’s a very small island about 4 feet in diameter covered in long grass about three feet tall and that’s were my ball was heading.

It landed in the grass pinged off something, bounced very high but straight as a die towards the green and ended up two feet from the hole.

There was a chorus of complaints and all I could do was laugh.

Warren said to me ‘How lucky can you be!’ to which I responded ‘What do you want? Didn’t I go straight for it!’. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

The guys killed themselves laughing at this and they still refer back to this incident two years later.

Anyway I’m glad I went out that first time as it has rejuvenated my golfing ‘career’ and I get on really well with what are now very good friends.

They all have great senses of humour, the jokes come thick and fast and if anyone gets too serious they soon get brought back down to earth.

So I’m enjoying my golf even if my shots don’t always go according to plan. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=The Kipper;2024414]Two more weeks of physical therapy on the left elbow which was shattered and replaced with 5 steel plates and I will be back at the range trying to learn or relean a golf swing.

The only time I feel totally relaxed is either on the course or on the Harley and right now both of them are out. LOL[/QUOTE]

Ouch! That sounds painful but at least it’s not your drinking arm. :slight_smile:

Best wishes for speedy recovery and hopefully (if you’ll pardon the pun) you’ll be back in the swing of things in no time!

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2024452]Ouch! That sounds painful but at least it’s not your drinking arm. :slight_smile:

Best wishes for speedy recovery and hopefully (if you’ll pardon the pun) you’ll be back in the swing of things in no time!

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Wombler

Will be giving it a try in short time. Already out on the putting green.