The Fog

I emailed Slysoft the IFO’s for the DVD but Im unable to read the disc with DVDShrink even with 5.8.3.1…

In one posting there a few people with the same problem while others dont… Just thought Id bring it up here…

try using latest anydvd with clonddvd2 and it will work okay.

It doesnt work with CloneDVD2 v2.8.4.1 and AnyDVD v5.8.3.1, it gives me the following error message:
Data error: (cyclic redundancy check).
File 1 I:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB 23 TCSectorReader
Sector 310000

Same error as in DVDShrink…

AnyDVD info about the disc:

Summary for drive I: (AnyDVD 5.8.3.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_FOG
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 3 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Hypnosis4U2NV,
Well since this is a new release, I’ll guess that the disk has no scratches on it right?

Your post count is pretty high so you have probably used or heard of CloneDVD’s “Write Existing Data” method to make your backup. Not meaning any condescension but if you have never used the “Third” button method, here’s how.

With AnyDVD running, use Windows Explorer to “right-click-drag and drop-copy” the entire Video_TS folder off the DVD original to your desktop. You don’t need the audio or any other folders. Takes a while for the copy to complete based on the speed of your system.

Then open CloneDVD and click on the 3rd backup method button/choice “Write Existing Data”. Use the “browse” button to navigate to that Video_TS folder on your desktop. Click “output to burner” (or what ever the correct button label is) and click “GO” to burn. This method usually works in the “(cyclic redundancy check) File 1 I:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB 23 TCSectorReader Sector 310000” situation you described and is one of the reasons why the method is included in CloneDVD. If you get an error message, this time from Windows Explorer, during the drag & drop phase, then you may well have and original with a manufacturing defect.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Also you are one version behind on CloneDVD. Why don’t you update (see link at bottom) and try before you try the 3rd option. scotton (above) and others (see link) say they got The Fog to backup ok with CloneDVD and AnyDVD …
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=163777

Clone DVD Update info:
CloneDVD2, Version 2.8.5.1: released 2005 07 12
Fix: Program could hang on startup.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
or here
http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/download.html

Whisperer,

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes I have heard of copying the contents of the Video_TS folder to HD… Slipped my mind to try that but I will give it a shot…

On another note, Im glad that you noticed my post counts but to be fair they really dont mean anything if you post lots of garbage like some do around here… Ive been a member of this board since its early days of CD recording and Ive learned lots from the people here mostly by reading the threads…

I posted this problem here (and emailed it to SlySoft) to make people aware that this may be a title that the current AnyDVD program cannot work around the copy protection…

Again thanks for your help and Ill let you know how that goes with the “Third Button” method…

Cool :cool:

I did as Whisperer1 suggested and copy/pasted the VIDEO_TS folder to my HD with AnyDVD 5.8.3.1 running and it worked without any problems at all. Below is my AnyDVD Log:

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 5.8.3.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1 / Widescreen / Unrated Version

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_FOG
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 3 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

HERE are my IFO’s if anyone needs to check them over.

I just now used anydvd5831 and clone dvd2 2851 on FOG without a single problem
It is just amazing how something so simple is made into rocket scinece

I lost my internet connection last night and couldnt post a follow-up…

It seems it still gives the error even in windows mode, getting stuck at the same are… I still think that this may be new protection on this DVD…

zaq;
Your right this is not rocket science but what does that have to do if someone still can not get the thing to decrypt?

Im not the only one with the problem…

Have you tried a different disc of “The Fog”? You probably have a “bad disc”.

AnyDVD 5.8.3.1 handles this movie without problem, so it’s not likely to be a protection issue. Most likely though, the disc is defective.

The disc plays fine, so the issue of the disc being defective is not valid…

not true.

dvd readers are made so they skip over parts if necessary. if ther’es a mastering error or a scratch, you may not even notice it.

when ripping, you need every piece of data so if a mastering error is standing in your way, you might be stuck.

“it plays fine so it should copy fine” is NOT a valid assumption.

since others have backed up the same region of this title using the same software, I’d venture to guess that a bad disc IS your problem. you can send the IFOs to slysoft and see what they say though if you think it’s a software issue.

Agree with reasonsnotrules that your not valid assuption is not valid :disagree: but it is an understandable assumtion if you have never encountered it.

Playing and ripping data are two different things. There is a “Fault Tolerance” built into players that overlooks and bypasses flaws (missing data due to manufacturing defects or scratches) during simple playing. Not so during ripping to backup software… if data is unreadable, you get an error message.

Do you see any “under the surface” flaws or any other differences in the otherwise consistant appearance of the play side of the original? If it’s scratched or dinged though, that’s on you. Can you exchange it at the store for another original?

Whisperer

Ill try getting another DVD…

BTW, I forgot to mention, and many people are not aware of it, that looking for flaws, defects, scratches, dings etc. are best done with a fluorescent desk light or fluorescent ceiling light rather than daylight or regular household light bulbs. Something about the fluorescent light quality brings out details on a shiny disk.

Hypnosis4U2NV
sorry
there is no new protection on this disk
it is either bad disk or bad reader
and you can take that to the bank

I have used AnyDVD to the hard drive and then DVD2one on a number of Sony discs but three movies this week will not work. AnyDVD copies The Fog, Flightplan and Oliver Twist to the hard drive with no errors but DVD2one will only shrink The Fog without errors but when I spot checked the files the ones at the end of the movie are corrupt. I’ve looked at the files AnyDVD copied and they also have errors. Flightplan and Oliver Twist even crash PowerDVD when I just try to play the files. This has never happened before with AnyDVD.

If I can’t play the files copied with AnyDVD, will using CloneDVD make any difference?

Also, I would have to say that this is something new.

I have no problem with The Fog (WS US Version) nor The Legend of Zorro (Sony Picture WS US Version)
AnyDVD Rocks! :bow:

I also did not have any problems backing up this movie… Using latest CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD

There have been reports of some DTS/Extra’s combo issues using 1click to backup… but thats another story