The first BD-R burn

Hello all. After about 30 CD readings I finally burned them to one single layer BD-R from Panasonic. I bought The blank BD-Rs in spindle with Panasonic logo and Olympic Games rings. Here is the info of the media obtained by Dvd Identifier

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-R-SL:MEI-RA1-001]
Disc Type :              [BD-R SL : Class 0 - Version 1]
Manufacturer Name :      [Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID :        [MEI]
Media Type ID :          [RA1]
Product Revision :       [001]
Stamper Date :           [February 2008]
Layer Info :             [1 Layer (L0) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [12,219,392 Sectors = 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB)]
Recording Speeds :       [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x]  
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Ehm manufactured 2008? Old media? Is it even realiable?
I burned the BD-R on 4x speed and it took roughly 24minutes.
After that I have tried to do a “Quality Scan” with Nero DiscSpeed, Opti Drive Control and I have tried Plex Tools Professional too. All of the above tools tell me that my brand new BDR Pioneer 209 EBK burner is not capable of this function.
My question is shall I purchase some other drive that is capable of doing a quality scans for example “LG CH12NS40.AUAU” is availabe at the local hardware shop as well as “LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B”.
Thanks in advance.

About the date code… I have BD’s that are 10 years old, CD’s and DVD’s that are old as the hills. Not one has de-lamenated or has errors. If you store optical disks properly who knows how long they will last.
Jeff

[QUOTE=nidzo;2788304]Hello all. After about 30 CD readings I finally burned them to one single layer BD-R from Panasonic. I bought The blank BD-Rs in spindle with Panasonic logo and Olympic Games rings. Here is the info of the media obtained by Dvd Identifier

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-R-SL:MEI-RA1-001]
Disc Type :              [BD-R SL : Class 0 - Version 1]
Manufacturer Name :      [Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID :        [MEI]
Media Type ID :          [RA1]
Product Revision :       [001]
Stamper Date :           [February 2008]
Layer Info :             [1 Layer (L0) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [12,219,392 Sectors = 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB)]
Recording Speeds :       [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x]  
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Ehm manufactured 2008? Old media? Is it even realiable?
I burned the BD-R on 4x speed and it took roughly 24minutes.
After that I have tried to do a “Quality Scan” with Nero DiscSpeed, Opti Drive Control and I have tried Plex Tools Professional too. All of the above tools tell me that my brand new BDR Pioneer 209 EBK burner is not capable of this function.
My question is shall I purchase some other drive that is capable of doing a quality scans for example “LG CH12NS40.AUAU” is availabe at the local hardware shop as well as “LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B”.
Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jeffreyp;2788305]About the date code… I have BD’s that are 10 years old, CD’s and DVD’s that are old as the hills. Not one has de-lamenated or has errors. If you store optical disks properly who knows how long they will last.
Jeff[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should define “properly stored”.
Well I have being storing mine CDs and DVDs in spins as well in Jewel cases. And it turns out that those stored in jewel cases got more misscolouring and got more bad sectors then those stored in the spin. It could depend on the media quality too. While I am not suprprised that Memorex CDs got so many damaged sectors.I am surprised however that Kodak Gold media CDs would really change colour (and have damaged sectors) so much while HP CDs are still are perfectly readable and got all sectors “green”. As I am done with copying and asa I get some proper device for scaning I will post some images here.

The stamper date is just the manufacture date of one piece of equipment used to make the discs. It doesn’t mean they’re from 2009. Actually, it might not even be the actual date the equipment was made. So…yeah.

None of the drives available to you support quality scanning. There’s a thread around here with a list of drives supporting scanning.

Edit: a list http://club.myce.com/f87/can-asus-sbw-06d2x-u-do-bd-scanning-342874/#post2787238

[QUOTE=Albert;2788309]The stamper date is just the manufacture date of one piece of equipment used to make the discs. It doesn’t mean they’re from 2009. Actually, it might not even be the actual date the equipment was made. So…yeah.

None of the drives available to you support quality scanning. There’s a thread around here with a list of drives supporting scanning.

Edit: a list http://club.myce.com/f87/can-asus-sbw-06d2x-u-do-bd-scanning-342874/#post2787238[/QUOTE]

Thank you kindly Albert :). I will check thru the list and see if I can purchase any of those.

Hm… it seems none of those are available for purchase from Europe except for LG WH16NS40 but I am not sure what is the manufacturing date on that one.https://www.amazon.de/LG-BH16NS40-Interner-umfassender-Formatunterstützung/dp/B00AK29B26/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486916288&sr=8-3&keywords=LG+WH16NS40 and https://www.amazon.de/LG-WH14NS40-INTERNAL-BLU-RAY-REWRITER/dp/B007VPGL5U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486916288&sr=8-4&keywords=LG+WH16NS40 .
As those you mentioned there Albert are all older drives I am having difficulties finding them for purchase. :frowning:

I seem to have good luck storing optical disks in jewel cases not spindles. Dust free as possible. Almost impossible to keep things dust free unless you have clean-room. Out of direct sunlight. Steady ambient temperature. I keep the house between 70-75 F degrees (21-24C). I live in Arizona where the temperature can reach or exceed 122 F. Very expensive to keep the house cool in the summertime.
Jeff

[QUOTE=nidzo;2788307]Maybe you should define “properly stored”.
Well I have being storing mine CDs and DVDs in spins as well in Jewel cases. And it turns out that those stored in jewel cases got more misscolouring and got more bad sectors then those stored in the spin. It could depend on the media quality too. While I am not suprprised that Memorex CDs got so many damaged sectors.I am surprised however that Kodak Gold media CDs would really change colour (and have damaged sectors) so much while HP CDs are still are perfectly readable and got all sectors “green”. As I am done with copying and asa I get some proper device for scaning I will post some images here.[/QUOTE]

nidzo, you might have to buy a Lite-on BD writer off of Ebay if you absolutely want a scanner.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2788318]nidzo, you might have to buy a Lite-on BD writer off of Ebay if you absolutely want a scanner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am realising that too. Found LiteOn iHBS112 model on Ebay for like 15 dollars. I think I can risk that much lol :slight_smile: