The Fine Way to Please Mexican Natives

I am not sure if most of you will agree with me, but I find Hispanics as very hospitable people. The warm welcome they give to their guests makes them very distinct. My advise to people who would visit Mexico, or any other Hispanic country, few Spanish verses will help you get the hospitable treatment.

Each country has a way of welcoming travelers around the globe but only in Mexico will you surely feel the sincerity behind the hospitable gestures. They treat you like a family and make you feel at ease that you’ll eventually start to think of how you can thank them kindly in return. The great method is to reveal to them that you care. Learn more about their culture and appreciate their customs so you’ll have a good Mexican journey.

http://mexico-travel.blogspot.com/2006/08/fine-way-to-please-mexican-natives.html

My girlfriend wants to go to Mexico for holiday (and to visit some relatives), but it’s freaking expensive to get there and i’m quite reluctant to wander around in the big city although i’m very curious.

I hear it’s full of smog, filth and really poor people. If they see me (white, so therefore automatically rich and easy target) i wonder if that will go allright.

I went to china last year … same problem … except it was a matter of height, rather than colour (since everyone was wrapped up) :wink:

2 phrases you need to learn before going to any country …

“Please go away.”
“I don’t want it.”

Mr Belvedere,

What part of Mexico? Mexico City is not my cup-o-tea.

Some parts of Mexico are Smoggy etc, but some parts of Mexico are the most beautiful places I have ever seen or been to. Most places the locals treat you [B]VERY[/B] well.
It is like any other country. There are good people and bad people everywhere. Use your head and you will have a great time.

I went straight across the Gulf of Mexico from Texas to Isla Mujeras (by Cancun) on a friends Yacht and stayed for over 40 days. It was the most fun I have ever had. Fishing, scuba, great food,beautiful women, great people, very cheap. (Best part was I was on [B]Paid[/B] Vacation :clap: ) I can honestly say I would retire there or somewhere on the Caribbean or Pacific side if it weren’t for all my family living here.

mexico is a great place but the larger cities u have to watch out for…all the above mentioned are correct…bein from texas i’ve been to just about as bad a part of mexico as u can get…Brownsville…it’s not a tourist haven but like all other small places there…the people are great…if you want a “tourist” mexican vacation…do what rbraughn has mentioned…cancun,ixtapa…etc…you’ll never forget it…the bigger cities are like all big cities worldwide…smog…crime…x2…just don’t walk around and act like a tourist…(wear nice clothes…carry cmeras etc…in the big cities that is…if so…your beggin for trouble…)…but the smaller areas…no nicer people in the world…:slight_smile:

Not to be rude as you give Mexico 2 thumbs up, but hispanics are from Mexico and nowhere else. Other country’s that speak spanish would like to call them selves, well…there own country such as Spain are called Spaniards and Puerto Rico like to call themselves Puertoricanos and so on.

I wouldn’t go to Puerto Rico and call them hispanics as you would get a tongue lashing, lol

I thought the term “hispanics” originated from the island of hispana, which is part of spain…

Airhead the owl says

Hispanic (Spanish: Hispano) is a term denoting a derivation from Spain, its people and culture.

Especially in Paris (France). There are so many people trying to sell you odd stuff, grabbing your hands (so fast that you can’t even say “Non, merci” before) and stuff like that. :Z

Geestar20,

I have to disagree with your statement about Hispanics [B]only[/B] being from Mexico. Airhead is correct.

[B]Mexicans[/B] come from Mexico.

Americans tend to call all Spanish speaking people Hispanic, but it is Spaniards who are truly hispanic.

If you call any of my friends hispanic, they will be quick to tell you they are Mexican.

even this guy?

Interesting side discussion on who is “Hispanic”! Many professors of Hispanic studies/Chicano studies or professors of some branch of Spanish, be it linguistics, semantics or even the branch of Spanish Philology in general have tried to apply some “label” as “Hispanic,” “Chicano” or “Latino,” all with different reasons and justifications. “Hispanic,” as well as “Latino” and “Chicano” really aren’t appropriate for everyone. As was correctly pointed out, the best approach to avoid confusion is to stick to the person’s country of origin (e.g., if you are from Spain, you are Spanish; if from Puerto Rico, you are Porto Rican; if you are from Mexico, you are Mexican, and so on). I don’t want to get too far off topic with this, but that would be the better approach.

As for Mexican hospitality, I can attest to this personally. (I am also 1/4 Mexican by the way.) I have only travelled to the easternmost state of Tamaulipas, along the Gulf of Mexico, which is one of the poorest states in Mexico. Once you get more into the interior, you’ll find the people quite hospitable, but of course you will receive more hospitality if you make a real effort to learn at least basic “survival” Spanish. :iagree: Although I am part Mexican, I do not look it, so once people hear me speaking Spanish, this pleases them more. I once ate at a roadside restaurant, where they served various kinds of breakfast tacos (gorditas, carne asada and others), and was “invited” to sit with a Mexican family with several young children. I spoke to them while I finished eating, told them about my trip and even told them two jokes. This amazed me, as they had no reason to trust me and they did not know me. Regardless, I was very welcomed by them and made to feel among friends.

Certainly if you want to see the “best” part of Mexico, avoid the border towns like Matamoros, Reynosa, Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana. Recently, there has also been a major struggle among the drug cartels in and between these locations, but also notably close to the very popular Cancun and Merida tourist areas–even including Acapulco! Anyone planning on going to Mexico should get information on “crime hotspots” before travelling there, so they have updates on the current affairs.

Some of the more scenic and well-developed regions would be places like Mazatlán, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo and Acapulco (mostly the Pacific side of Mexico), although there are also other gorgeous places like Guanajuato, Rosario (where the monarch butterflies stay) and Tlaxcala I believe (the place famous for famous silver articles and jewelry).

As with any place, remember that there are always “bad apples” and not to conclude something about the entire people based on the bad experiences of a few bad examples. Be careful as you would travelling to any place unknown, and find out before you get there what to avoid doing or places to avoid going to.

Man, for once i know something and post it, but still i get no credit :p. Of course Airhead the Owl is more correct than me, so i’m glad to give up correctness to him :bow:

You need to

and people will belive

How could I…

Puerto Rico is not a country, it’s a commonwealth of the United States. If your born in Puerto Rico" you are an American of “Puerto Rican” decent. You are never a “Porto Rican”’. If you move to Puero Rico from the mainland U.S.A.(no passport required) and establish residency you become Puerto Rican, and anybody who would go to all that trouble would rightfully be one. All Puerto Ricans are American by right and birth. The blood shed by Puerto Ricans since WW1 attests to that. It wouldn’t be to much too conclude that I am “Puerto Rican” by culture but due the complexities of our wonderful American culture I also am a “Yankee”. A American, Puerto Rcan, Yankee. (When we get a lot of cultures influencing us by birth and enviroment we truly become Amerricuns). So go to Puerto Rico, have a blast, America is a beautiful country, everyone is here (by representation). Vaya, dude.

Had I said “place of origin” I would have been off the hook. Of course, some residents of the Isla del encanto are “boricua” or from “Borinquen.” :flower:

Some say Tehano too, but I think that’s debatable genetically. My father’s family came from Spain to Venezuela then to the U.S. where I was born. My mothers family only goes so far back because those those little towns in Puerto Rico the records only go so far back. Any Boricua/Tehano/ blood would be from her side. It seems that within 80 to 100 years most of this country will have hispanic blood of some sort mixed in. Hope I haven’t scared anyone. Have a Taco!! :iagree:

Tehano or Taíno? Los taínos were the original inhabitants of the island, IIRC.

Most definately. :iagree: I do know is it wasn’t me. :disagree: I actually had Tacos tonight, from scratch, Yum Yum