The file directory is corrupted or unreadable...HELP

i am new here but had some great advice on my first post, but i did post it in the wrong place, so to be on the safe side i thought i would post my second problem here.

i have an internal hd that i use as an external hd for storing movies and i use a ‘docking station’ to transfer the movies from my pc to the hd.

i started off with a 100gb hd (this has the movies on) i have now got a 500gb hd, so i thought i would transfer all the movies from the 100gb to the 500gb.

i inserted the 100gb into the docking station plugged the docking station into by XP PC and started to transfer all the movies over to a folder on the pc.

everything was going fine when an error message popped up that said something like ‘cant copy xxx file unreadable’ so i opened the 100gb to browse and try a different movie to transfer over thats when i got the message ‘the file directory is corrupted or unreadable’

i browsed the 100gb hd again and found the files had weird looking names now (symbols)

i have a hd enclosure (caddy) so i thought i would put the hd in that (thought the docking station might be faulty) i also have a dvd player that has a usb port that will play files from a hd (this is what i have been using to watch these films on this 100gb hd) so i plugged the caddy with the 100gb hd into my dvd player only to get a message on my tv ‘no playable file’.

so then i plugged this caddy into my Windows 7 laptop, could not browse the hd, it did recognise it but said it was ‘unreadable’ done a right click on it and tried the option ‘check disk for errors’ (i think this is through a program called Advanced system care) but no luck.

so can i fix this with out formatting is there any programs out there that will fix it and keep my data on the hd (free would be nice)

and does any body know why this happened, as it did transfer some data before the error.

thanks all

Try it using chkdsk. You may start up in safe mode to prevent other programs from interfering.

Open up a commandline window (click on start, enter “cmd” in the run chapter and hit enter).
There you can use chkdsk. First you need to know the driveletter.

Enter “chkdsk /?” to get the help window with options.

Enter [U]“chkdsk X:” without options[/U] to get starting info about your drive. X: needs to be replaced with the true driveletter.

[B]Then[/B] you can choose what to do next, depending on what chkdsk gives you back.

chef

i have never done this before but have been told that this could delete my data is this so.

someone recommended ‘test disk’ have you had any experience of this.

also someone mentioned that my data could be ok but the MBR ? has been corrupted.

i feel like a right numpty, not knowing this stuff

also iv heard something about using linux

really i would love to get a program that would scan this h/d and either fix it with all my data still there or give me the option to move this data to somewhere else and then i would re format the h/d oh and make me about 5 inches taller and irresistible to the opposite sex :slight_smile:

Ok this is a mad one, i have only had this docking station for about 3 weeks when it arrived the cable that connects it to the pc was faulty, i contacted the seller and they said they would send me a new one. i wasnt to bothered as i have already got a few of these cables (usb to mini usb)

anyway today i connected up this problem hd to my XP PC via the docking station using ‘my’ cable, nothing the pc recognised the docking station but not the hd, the post came with the replacement cable so i thought i would try to use that (grasping at straws) and my pc did now recognise the hd, no sign of it in ‘my computer’ but it was in ‘disk management’ and it said the hd was 67gb when it is actually 125gb and it was ‘unallocated’ there was a ‘no entry’ sign on it and it said ‘not initialized’ the only options on right click was ‘propities’ and ‘help’

i dont know why but i decided to try ‘my’ cable again and this time the hd was recognised in ‘my computer’ and in ‘disk management’ it said 16gb unallocated 115gb healthy (active) i tried to open it in ‘my computer’ but alas it said ‘disk not formatted do you want to format it now’ whats going on.

im sure this ‘digital age’ is from another dimension and here to confuse us now and again :slight_smile:

The drive in the image is a similar setup to what you have .
A drive in a docking station.

When you view it in Disk Management does it show to be “Online” ?
Also try R clicking again where the arrow in the image is .
If it says initialize then do that. Don’t Format .

thanks Cholla i will try that, but it will be tomorrow now, i might throw it through the window otherwise

strange about different cables giving me different information

i thought the ‘computing age’ was supposed to make life easier but i suppose more tech’ = more things to go wrong.

You can try downloading a linux(ubuntu 9/10) LiveCD.

Linux miraculously manages to recover files when windows can’t access a corrupt partition.

[QUOTE=debro;2623960]You can try downloading a linux(ubuntu 9/10) LiveCD.

Linux miraculously manages to recover files when windows can’t access a corrupt partition.[/QUOTE]

And if it all fails then debro title kinda sums up your hard drive life span

“Blown to smitherines”

And will need a complete reformat and reinstall of drivers and the likes to get it back working.

I ran across this linux & it is supposed to be user friendly.
If you are going to try linux I sure recommend reading the manuals.
I’ve only used linux on a limited basis so I’m not the one to give instructions.
I do not have this version but I’m thinking of getting it.
This one seems to be the basic version:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

This is a newer Ubuntu version seemed to be the one for newer computers.
Named Lucid.
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

You might want to look at the Wiki for more information.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Using a live linux stro is a good idea.

No clue if its really only the MBR or not.
There are tools to fix this, but you never know if its the real issue…

ok i went to ‘disk management’ give it a drive letter (Y) made it so its initialize’, ‘online’ ‘healthy’ and ‘active’ did not ‘format’

can see it in ‘my computer’ but cant browse it, it says ‘drive not formatted do you want to format now’ i declined.

done the ‘run’ thing with CMD typed chkdsk/Y

but got a message back saying 'invalid parameter - /Y

I would like to use the linux option last, so any other ideas.

just read over chef post, do i have to type ‘without options’ after the drive letter

ok i have done it so this hd has now got a drive letter(y) is initialized, allocated, healthy and online, its visible in ‘my computer’ but cant be browsed a message comes up ‘not formatted would you like to format’ i declined.

i tried the run-cmd-chkdsk/y but it said 'invalid parameter -/y

so i tried chkdsk y : and the following message appeared:

The type of the file system is RAW chkdsk is not available for raw drives.

now i am only guessing but i got a suspicion that i will not be able to get my data back and a format is called for,
that is if nobody got any other suggestions.

ooops dont know what happened there seems like 2 similar posts sorry for that.

[QUOTE=andy64;2624393]now i am only guessing but i got a suspicion that i will not be able to get my data back and a format is called for,
that is if nobody got any other suggestions.
[/QUOTE]
You mean besides the perfectly good suggestion for the Linux Live CD, which I’ve used to recover files from partitions exhibiting exactly the same symptoms as you’ve nominated above?
Are you F@#$%g serious?
I guess your files aren’t that important to you if you’ve already decided to format the partition, before attempting the REALLY simple linux methods already suggested by multiple people.

[QUOTE=andy64;2624378]I would like to use the linux option last, so any other ideas.[/QUOTE]
Why? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It’s a LiveCD … it boots off the CD, and makes no changes to your PC, unless you ask it to.
Get the 9.04, 9.10 or 10.04 live CD’s … the 10.10 liveCD’s & above are … confusing.

Once ubuntu (live) has booted & it’s got the GUI up:
If the partition hasn’t been mounted already …

[ul]
[li]start a terminal,[/li][li]type in: sudo gparted[/li][li]In the gparted interface,[/li][li]Click on the partititon you want, and select mount.[/li][/ul]
If it doesn’t mount because of some sort of errors, you can force mounting in the terminal by typing:
“sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /media/mymounteddrive -o force” where “sda3” is replaced with the partition number (as shown in Gparted).

Once your done that, you can use the linux browser to navigate to /media/mymounteddrive and then copy and paste to somewhere else (portable HDD/etc).

If linux can’t force mount the parttition, you’ll have to run the check disk function in Gparted.

At this point, windows has completely and utterly failed to recover your files, and it’s obviously unmountable, so a linux disk check is the last thing you can do to easily get your files back … before requiring TestDisk/ photorec … both of which are part of the ubuntu live boot disk anyway.

I’ve run testdisk on someones ancient 120GB HDD after they accidentally “recovery disked” their crappy compaq PC, and it recovered 120GB of files … including multiples of the same files (after being moved from defragging), multiple partial files of the same files, thumbnails of photo’s, intermixed with photo’s, partially written word documents.

Testdisk & photorec are fantastic at what they do, but you end up with a mess of files that needs a full-time job for sorting & file culling.

Try the linux mounting options first … before the testdisk recovery.

ok ok, im a bit weary as i have never used this before and reading your post i havent a clue what ‘start a terminal’ means so this is why i said what i said if there is a ‘dummy’s guide’ how to do this i will have a go (you might think yours is a dummys guide but not for someone who has never used it) so i will give it a go when i am more confident.

and in your words thats
F@#$%g serious

[QUOTE=andy64;2624419]ok ok, im a bit weary as i have never used this before and reading your post i havent a clue what ‘start a terminal’ means so this is why i said what i said if there is a ‘dummy’s guide’ how to do this i will have a go (you might think yours is a dummys guide but not for someone who has never used it) so i will give it a go when i am more confident.

and in your words thats
F@#$%g serious[/QUOTE]
There’s not really a dummy guide - a “terminal” is like “command.com” or “cmd” (now) in Windows.

It’s the same process as running something in windows, except the start bar is at the top of the screen - click the menu and find “terminal” in the menus.

Start by downloading the iso for “Ubuntu 10.04 LTS” ->

[ul]
[li]64bit version (all processors in last 5 years)[/li][li]32bit version (older processors)[/li][/ul]
Burn the image to a CD.

Reboot your PC with the CD in the drive - typically PC’s are set up to automatically check the CD Drive, but if not,

[ul]
[li] OEM PC’s usually have a function (F*) key that you press at the bios screen to select a different boot device - Dell is F12[/li][li]White box (built) PC’s are usually the “DELETE” key to get into the bios, and you’ll need to set the DVDR/W, CDR/W or BDR/W drive as the first boot device, and your usual HDD as the second boot device, then save & exit.[/li][/ul]
Once Ubuntu starts loading, it’ll automatically boot into the GUI (Graphical User Interface / which is much the same as Windows) by itself - you can probably press a few things/enter to speed it up, but it’s not necessary. It should take anywhere between 2-5 minutes (it’s slow because CD’s are much slower than HDD’s due to slow seek times).

Click “Applications” at the top right, and then “Accessories”, and then “Terminal”.

From there follow the above post.

It’s really easy, but it seems daunting, because you haven’t done it before, but you’ll take to it like a duck to water.

debro

thanks for the info’ will have a go, if i get any problems i will come back

thanks again

[QUOTE=andy64;2624433]debro

thanks for the info’ will have a go, if i get any problems i will come back

thanks again[/QUOTE]
Not a problem.

Also, remember that Firefox is available inside the ubuntu Live CD also - it’ll be in one the application tabs, or in the Ubuntu/Gnome equivalent of the quick-launch bar, so you can request additional info, or google, while you’re still working inside Ubuntu. Handy :wink:

debro

bare with me on this as i am a ‘linux virgin’

i downloaded the 32 bit version of ubuntu as i would be using it on my XP desktop (this is not connected to the net) i burned it to cd

but no matter what i did i could not get it to run from cd i changed the ‘first boot’ in the bios but no luck i even tried it in another desktop i have.

so while in XP and the ubuntu cd still in the tray i right clicked it, in ‘my computer’ and mounted it (i have a virtual drive) i right clicked this drive and saw a few options, again to run it from cd or to install i tried again to run it from cd but no luck so i installed it .

so now i have it installed and running, i went to ‘terminal’ there was a line already there saying ‘andy@ubuntu:~s’ so i typed after that ‘sudo gparted’ a line appeared saying ‘sudo: gparted:command not found’, so i just typed ‘gparted’ and got a message ‘gparted is currently not installed’

it also told me what to type to get it, i did that but was given the message ‘E. couldnt find package gparted’

my next step was to open ‘computer file browser,’ along the top of this window i clicked on 'browse all local and remote disks and folders accessible from this computer (icon: pc screen) a saw a window with a few icons on so i switched off then on again my docking station with the corrupted hd in, and an icon appeared saying ‘generic storage device’ i right clicked on it and chose ‘open’ but nothing happened.

i inserted a usb memory stick to see if i could open that and that opened ok.

i then looked in ‘disk utility’ and found the corrupted hd but nothing there to browse it.

so i dont really know what to do next, do you think this means the data cannot be saved…

[QUOTE=andy64;2624562]debro

bare with me on this as i am a ‘linux virgin’

i downloaded the 32 bit version of ubuntu as i would be using it on my XP desktop (this is not connected to the net) i burned it to cd

but no matter what i did i could not get it to run from cd i changed the ‘first boot’ in the bios but no luck i even tried it in another desktop i have.

so while in XP and the ubuntu cd still in the tray i right clicked it, in ‘my computer’ and mounted it (i have a virtual drive) i right clicked this drive and saw a few options, again to run it from cd or to install i tried again to run it from cd but no luck so i installed it .

so now i have it installed and running, i went to ‘terminal’ there was a line already there saying ‘andy@ubuntu:~s’ so i typed after that ‘sudo gparted’ a line appeared saying ‘sudo: gparted:command not found’, so i just typed ‘gparted’ and got a message ‘gparted is currently not installed’

it also told me what to type to get it, i did that but was given the message ‘E. couldnt find package gparted’

my next step was to open ‘computer file browser,’ along the top of this window i clicked on 'browse all local and remote disks and folders accessible from this computer (icon: pc screen) a saw a window with a few icons on so i switched off then on again my docking station with the corrupted hd in, and an icon appeared saying ‘generic storage device’ i right clicked on it and chose ‘open’ but nothing happened.

i inserted a usb memory stick to see if i could open that and that opened ok.

i then looked in ‘disk utility’ and found the corrupted hd but nothing there to browse it.

so i dont really know what to do next, do you think this means the data cannot be saved…[/QUOTE]
The 32b vs 64b is dependent on your CPU capabilities, not the windows version, because Linux is a complete OS, which is a freeware alternative/replacement OS to the non-free Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/W7 OS’s. 32bit version is guaranteed to work on all modern CPU’s though, so it’s fine - if you intend to use it on a permanent basis, the 64b OS is probably a better choice.

When you burn the ISO, you must burn it as a “disc image” so that the information inside the ISO file is written to the CD (basically written raw), with the ISO image’s internal structure written as the final CD structure.
It appears that you have burnt it as a Data File to the CD with a Data CD Structure (the usual way you’d write Data files to a CD), rather than as an ISO image.

That aside, you have ubuntu installed on your machine, I’m hoping it’s Version 10, and not version 11, because version 11 is totally whacked.

On the top menu, click “System” -> “Administration” -> “GParted”.
If it complains that it’s not installed, or it’s not present in the menu, then you can install it via “System” -> “Administration” -> “Synaptic Package Manager”, but you may require internet access, and or a properly burned CD.
I know that the Ubuntu v10.4 LiveCD has it in the (temporary) LIVE environment - I have ubuntu live v10.04 running on the laptop beside me - so the package IS available on the CD - but the CD needs to burnt correctly as a Disc Image, not as a data file.

When the Synaptic Package Manager Window is up:
Type “gparted” into the search bar, then click search.
Tick gparted. & Then click “Apply” at the top/middle.

It will likely ask you if you want to install dependencies - just say OK/yes.

Then you should be good to go, with the above instructions.

i was just thinking the message i had when i requested gparted ('E. couldnt find package gparted) would the problem be that i removed the linux cd from the pc and it is trying to find it on the cd in the ‘E’ drive to add it to ubunto.

i think it said when installing it it had less functions than working from the cd only.

i downloaded the one in the link you posted.

what does gparted do, as i have said ubunto recognised my hd but there was no way to browse it to get the data, will gparted help to browse this hd

i burned the ubunto download using my Windows 7 laptop by just highlighting it and choosing the ‘burn’ option running along the top of the window, maybe i should burn it in Nero using the iso option or just put the cd in my pc and request gparted again.

sorry if i sound a bit daft but i have never used this before i appreciate all your help, thanks.