The end of Hollywood as we know it

vbimport

This is not a happy time to be an entertainment industry executive.

If you work for a movie studio, a television network or a cable provider, the question that keeps you awake at night is, Will we be the next domino to fall?

The first two dominoes were the music industry and the newspaper industry, and the tap that tumbled them was digital technology. Whatever the Internet, broadband and wireless brought to the party, they were accompanied by a catastrophic plunge in album sales and ad revenues that decimated the music and newspaper businesses. Now movies and TV are wondering whether they’re next.

Link: http://www.jewishjournal.com/marty_kaplan/article/marty_kaplan_the_end_of_hollywood_as_we_know_it_20100426/

:cool::cool:

The problem with these lessons is that they ignore how digital technology has transformed the people formerly known as the audience. Today’s consumers refuse to be passive targets of top-down marketing and distribution, and they bridle at corporate definitions of choice, convenience and fair pricing. If movies and TV want to avoid the epic collapse of music and print, they need to transform their business models as radically as digital technology has transformed the way that their customers interact with entertainment.

I think that says it all.

By the way… Jewish journal??

They just need to stop being so pig headed and lower prices and stop dreaming up ever newer ways to lock down content with DRM.
The latest Avatar movie wont even play on many of the newest Blu Ray players without a firmware update, and yet my Ancient Panasonic BD-10a plays it fine with it’s last firmware update from August of 2008.
AND I bought the movie because it has pretty good value for my money as I got both the BD and the DVD version for 19 bucks. Of course they don’t have any extras and are hoping to double dip all the fans by releasing a 3d version, probably with mucho extras too for more money later in the year.
When DVD movies started getting cheap I bought a player and started buying movies. I don’t download them, don’t make thousands of copies, I just like have a movie I like with cool extras for a good price.
When HD-DVD got stupid cheap I bought a player and loaded up on movies before they went away.
I later bought the BD-10a for cheap as a demo so I could continue to enjoy movies in HD goodness BUT the movies were so expensive I only bought about 10 of them since I got it in 2008. Now that some are approaching a good deal I’ll probably start buying more, but refused to pay 30 bucks for one no matter how much I liked it.
If you don’t gouge people they will buy your product rather then go through all the hassles to get it other ways, plain and simple.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2514230]By the way… Jewish journal??[/QUOTE]

That’s where the links lead to the original source. Just another well stated point of view.

Actually, I am Half Irish and Half English if I go back in my family tree.

:cool::cool: